Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge in your life and your child/children's life/lives?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

Do you like your child learning Irish?Would you if it was made not compulsory in Secondary,encourage your child to stay with it?

Personally i do and always will,and feel great respect love and loyalty to our native language.
    I find myself lucky i had the chance to learn Irish, as our kids are.

Also even if not spoken in the place you have moved to abroad on a cv it is highly respected.

Gaeilge in your life and your child/children's life/lives? 62 votes

Yes great part of our heritage and beautiful language!
    0% 0 votes
    No not of importance and no interest.
    56% 35 votes
    If there was more Irish speaking schools i would send mine to it but there isnt.
    35% 22 votes
    I will encourage them but i dont speak it,but if they want to help them.
    8% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was at a irish class this morning put on by the primary school for parents to brush up on thier gaeilge for helping the kids with home work and to encourage the use of it at home.
    We do use it here on occassion and I find that switching to irish will often get thier notice quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Irish wasn't compulsory for my Dad when he was in school, although he did learn a bit, and my Mum is from the North so she has no Irish. In spite of that Dad made sure that he taught us what little bit of Irish he does know - "dún an doras", "sui sios" and so on.

I think it is important that we don't let our heritage die, and our native language is a big part of that.

My Husband is from USA but he's been slowly trying to learn a bit of Irish, conversational stuff, and thinks we should by one of these for our offspring (due in March). I feel very lucky that he feels that it is worth the effort, for himself, let alone for our child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Irish is an important part of our lives mainly due to my husbands family background. My own Irish is ok-ish but it's very much a second language, therefore not used as much as I should on a daily basis which means the children aren't as fluent as they could/ should be. Hopefully they'll embrace it over time as part of their personal rather than (or as well as) national heritage.
    Gaelscoil would have been our first choice but wasn't possible geographically without a 30 mile round trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Give it ago around the house even if ok-ish its a base :)
    I do it around the house and out :D

Its really good the school does that Thaedydal.:) Are you good at your Irish? :)

Squiggler,my grandad spoke it religiously at us all the time was a lovely feeling always had special place in heart for Irish :)

I find it can be taught in schools but really must be continued on at home.Schools are the ground work the leg work must be done at home.
    My friends kids are been schooled through English and take Irish although not Irish.
    Their kids go to school and learn their own home language also,
    So when in their house they speak all three languages in intervals :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our little girl is spoken to in irish a lot at home , some of her books are as gaeilge some are in english,she doesn't seem to mind.
    We record Dora and wonderpets as gaeilge from TG4.She doesn't watch much tv but it is in both languages and she doesn't notice as it has been that way from day 1.`
    Her name is down for naíonra and the local gaelscoil.
    In the creche they speak english so in many cases she knows 2 words for the same thing like éan was a bird on the ground and bird was a bird in the sky.
    "Thirsty Bainne fridge mammy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

The bollix syllabus is the blame

It needs to be taught as a foreign, spoken language.

Do this, starting with the next group of 1st years, then make it optional after that

Some people do have language difficulties, but I bet fluency in general would greatly improve that way

Just another part of the fzcked up education system we have

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

unreggd wrote: »

Do this, starting with the next group of 1st years, then make it optional after that

Some people do have language difficulties, but I bet fluency in general would greatly improve that way

The DES tried their best to prevent Gaelscoileanna use total immersion for junior infants, despite all the reseach to show that it is the best way to become fluent at an early age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Our little girl is spoken to in irish a lot at home , some of her books are as gaeilge some are in english,she doesn't seem to mind.
    We record Dora and wonderpets as gaeilge from TG4.She doesn't watch much tv but it is in both languages and she doesn't notice as it has been that way from day 1.`
    Her name is down for naíonra and the local gaelscoil.
    "
    we have the exact same scenario, i speak irish to my daughter when its just me and her, she has loads of Irish language books, her name is down in the
    naíonra and she's guaranteed her place in the local gaelscoil....

i hope she will be dual languaged like i am,

my sister and my cousin are fluent and my OH has a good grasp of the language, so they speak to her in Irish occasionally too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

well anytime I hear it, I'm transported back to school.... baaad memories. But you know what, it seems to be taught exactly the same crappy way now as it was then. My son hates it, and it's no wonder. They have to learn to read and spell words before they can speak them. He spent this evening doing really hard spellings without a clue what they meant. It's not the right way to learn a language.

planetX wrote: »
    well anytime I hear it, I'm transported back to school.... baaad memories. But you know what, it seems to be taught exactly the same crappy way now as it was then. My son hates it, and it's no wonder. They have to learn to read and spell words before they can speak them. He spent this evening doing really hard spellings without a clue what they meant. It's not the right way to learn a language.

You should make it fun for him then.
    Get pieces of paper stick them on items around the house.
    It is although for teachers to bring the child's interest to Irish,some teachers just stick to the boring way.
    But it is up to you to make it feel less hard for them and to tell them its ok and feel no pressure if they dont get them right all time.
    I dont know how you are with your child,but remember your energy about Irish tells them millions.
    Our school taught through singing and rhymes etc.. we were forced to speak it all day in the play yard and all.
    You should introduce the fun side of Irish to him :)

• Advertisement

unreggd wrote: »

Time to grasp love and understanding of Irish is younger years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I don't like the Irish language and would love to see it changed to an optional choice instead of the current compulsory system. It doesn't even sound nice to the ear, more like a phlegm problem.

I left school in 1982 and haven't used Irish since I left apart from a few words when my children were in the lower years of primary school. It's just one of those subjects that I had to do in school but have had no reason to use it.

Gaelgoirs or more correctly gaelbores are the ones who are ruining the irish language. They're generally so bloody snobby and smug about the irish language and generally do nothing to encourage those with irish not at their level.

My children don't mind it too much, my older fella liked it at the gaeltacht but it's the way it's taught in school that's off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SineadMaria

very true, how gaeilge is taught in school is very bad, i would like to see more primary gaeilge shcools as children do learn languages better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

deisemum wrote: »
    It doesn't even sound nice to the ear, more like a phlegm problem.

:D I ticked option one in the poll but I don't really think it's a beautiful language... it's too gutteral to e beautiful but I still like it.

I also think you're right in what you say about schools. Unless a child is exposed to Irish in everyday life they are not going to become fluent or enjoy the language. I only really took to it at age 12 having gone to the gaeltacht for 3 weeks. School irish became much easier after that. It became the language of my memories of my first time away from home, my first crush :o. Breakfast, dinner and tea were as gaeilge. You can't replicate that kind of stuff with Peig or Réchursa Gramadaí. Living in Galway in my 20s I was surrounded by drunken debauchery as gaeilge :D so again I was hearing it all in a more natural and enjoyable way.
    I don't know the answer though... you can't send 5 year olds to a gaeltacht...

The personal connection has been lost for the most part in Ireland. In most cases our parents or grandparents didn't speak Irish so we don't feel a bond with it. I'm very glad that my children do have a personal connection through people and place with the language so will try to foster that as much as I can.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My kids will never have a chance/be forced to learn it but I have to admit a part of me is sad about that.

Would you not google the words for him so he knows what they mean?
    Chances are he was told in school and forgot, we have that happen and sometimes I will know the word or we can figure it out due to it's context
    but we will look up the works.

I don't have a lot of irish, but I do have everyday, how are you, hows the weather, eat your dinner, shut the door, go to bed :) and I do use it.
    I find it's a case of use it or loose it but the more I do, more of it comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I have no Irish whatsoever. I don't care two cents about the language. I think its a waste of time and I'd rather my son speak and write English very well, than speak two languages half badly.

Given the developmental advantages neurlogcally to learning a second language or more as the child's brain developes I think it's something most parent's don't mind at all, but I do think that parents have to let go of thier personal dislike due to how it was taught to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

caseyann wrote: »
    You should make it fun for him then.
    Get pieces of paper stick them on items around the house.
    It is although for teachers to bring the child's interest to Irish,some teachers just stick to the boring way.
    But it is up to you to make it feel less hard for them and to tell them its ok and feel no pressure if they dont get them right all time.
    I dont know how you are with your child,but remember your energy about Irish tells them millions.
    Our school taught through singing and rhymes etc.. we were forced to speak it all day in the play yard and all.
    You should introduce the fun side of Irish to him :)

I can't introduce the fun side of Irish, as it's something I've never experienced. I scraped through pass leaving cert, and have never spoken a word since (family isn't Irish, so it's not my heritage). I've never discouraged my son, but I see the subject being taught exactly the same way I remember, and it's so depressing. Children should learn to speak a language before they start the drudgery of grammer, spellings and comprehension exercises. Last night my sons English spellings were words like 'busy', 'angry', 'lift'. His Irish spellings included 'ag caoineadh', 'feachaint' and a few words I didn't even recognise. He is fluent in English, can't actually make a sentence yet in Irish. How do the people making the syllabus not see a problem with this???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Culture and education should be child and parent centered, not top down by whatever numpties happen to be manning the civil service or government. My eldest is 6 and is able to read in English and German. Culture is valuable if its actively embraced so I applaud Gael schools but their must be choice, anything else is petty nationalism. Thankfully the school he goes to doesnt start Irish til aged 10 (I think) so not an issue here for a while. To be honest I wont be able to "fake" that he should love it, if he likes it fine, if he thinks its a load of ..... I'll have to agree with him.

If the whole learning a second lauguage early is valid (and I think it is) people should be able to choose what the second language is. They might be able to design their holidays around it etc and might even encourage the parents to take adult classes etc. It will always come back to if you want to do something you'll be the richer for it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Having irish forced on all children does not make sense at all. I know in our school it is really only learned orally until first class then written work and spellings are introduced. This is grand for children who dont struggle with learning to read and write their first language, but for those who do it is added stress. Now I do know that should a learning difficulty be diagnoised irish can be dropped but as assesments for dyslexia ect are not carried out until second class or maybe later the child has to struggle on in two languages.
    I think it is shocking that so much time is spent learning irish and so many kids still leave school struggling to read and write.
    I think it would be better if our children learned it in a more conversational way in national schools and when children start secondary school they have a choice on wheather or not to take irish. It would be great if the gaelteach was made a more affordable option for all kids who have a love of the language.
    I do value the irish language and hope it is never allowed to die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Omg I absolutely hated the subject and bitterly resented being forced to learn it. I'm afraid the grudge lingers and I couldn't care less if I never heard another word of it or if my children never spoke it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I love the Irish language, my beloved mother (now RIP) and her family are fluent at it. I love speaking it, though I'm not as knowlegable as I should be and keep substituting English words. My children go to a Gaelscoil, and they picked it up no problem. Unfortunately i don't speak it at home as much as I should,but I live in the Gaeltacht and converse with most of the nighbours in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I'd rather my son speak and write English very well, than speak two languages half badly.

Many studies have been done in this area and it's been proven that those who attend Irish Speaking schools do better,not only in English, but in French, German and other languages too, than those who attend an English speaking school!

I can't introduce the fun side of Irish, as it's something I've never experienced. I scraped through pass leaving cert, and have never spoken a word since (family isn't Irish, so it's not my heritage). I've never discouraged my son, but I see the subject being taught exactly the same way I remember, and it's so depressing. Children should learn to speak a language before they start the drudgery of grammer, spellings and comprehension exercises. Last night my sons English spellings were words like 'busy', 'angry', 'lift'. His Irish spellings included 'ag caoineadh', 'feachaint' and a few words I didn't even recognise. He is fluent in English, can't actually make a sentence yet in Irish. How do the people making the syllabus not see a problem with this???

But you did it and is something you should be very proud of that you accomplished and not even been Irish .;):)

I see what you mean about them been hard ones.How old is he do you mind me asking?
    You can get books with rhymes and songs in Irish to bring out the more fun side of it for kids.
    There is also scrabble :) and use English,Irish, dictionary for kids to help play.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0301/1224265370617.html
    Go into any store you can get books in Irish for younger years and cds also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'm really surprised at the people whose kids are in schools where their kids seem to have to learn spellings not connected with anything in particular & who can't put sentances together in irish. Mine have used variety of school text books in irish over the years and they have always learned the vocab first, speaking it in class, words into sentances for homework and then had the grammar fine tuned at later age. By 4/5th class they had a fair grasp of how to put sentances & paragraphs together. They aren't in gaelscoils so it must be down to the school ethos. I do think though that alot of parents need to let go of their hang ups about the language as it is only being passed on to children. I took up Irish classes when mine were in primary school so I could help them with their homework/grammar and now we'd have the odd conversation in Irish - throwing in english words when we didn't know the irish for them. Some of the programmes on TG4 are really good too and they usually have sub-titles so you can follow along.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hated it in school, absolutely despised it, right up until I finished and left.

Now, while I'm not fluent, I love the language and take every opportunity to speak in Irish to my daughter. I guess that living in England has made me realise how important the language is! Most of my friends in England are actually from France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland and Greece :o and many didn't realise that we had our own language. When they have heard it they've enthused over it and how different, unique and cultural it sounds. It's opened my eyes to the language and made me think about it differently. So, yes, Id' encourage its use but also desperately hope that someone in the Dept of Education will eventually change the syllabus to encourage it as a spoken language first and written second.

Interestingly a friend of mine has always spoken exclusively Spanish to his daughter from the day she was born while his wife spoke exclusively German. She picked up English in nursery. At four years of age she is fluent in all three languages and speaks Spanish with a Spanish accent, German with a German accent and English with a very local Cambridge accent. Amazing to hear and see it.

tl;dr?

Irish? +1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Many studies have been done in this area and it's been proven that those who attend Irish Speaking schools do better,not only in English, but in French, German and other languages too, than those who attend an English speaking school!

and that has nothing to do with the fact that are "probably" mainly middle class and or motivated parents?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have put my sons name to ONLY Gaelscoils! I was in Tesco a minute ago and I was talking to him as Gaeilge and he was just listening away (he is 20 months) a child about 7 turned around to its mother and said "why do people speak Polish in Ireland?":eek: I spun around and said "It's Irish, your national language!" The mother was embarassed. She asked her child did he not study Irish in school, he said ya, but not like that.

I was brought up in Cork city, I spent 17 years there and I moved to Dingle in 6th year. I was put back to 5th and spoken to all day everyday in Irish, it took 2 weeks to actually sort myself out! But total submergence actually made it easy. When I do maths today I still mutter it in Irish!

I am getting the Gaeilge bear for my son for xmas. I think it is important to have cultural identity!

But the way it is taught children don't want to learn it! It has to be made a bigger part of their lives overall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I don't really know which option to pick in the poll. I think Irish is an important part of our heritage, but I'm not fluent myself and won't be teaching it to my child. I'm much better at German than Irish and have been reading stories and speaking to my 14 month old auf Deutsch as there is a chance we might be moving back to Germany in the near future. I wasn't good at either language in school and picked up most of my German knowledge by living there for a few years. It's pretty atrocious that nearly three decades of living in Ireland hasn't afforded the same opportunities for speaking Irish.

If Irish is to have a chance of ever becoming as important as English to Irish people, all primary schooling would need to be done through Irish. There would be a generation of problems as many parents would be unable to help their kids out with homework etc, but within 20 years every child leaving an Irish primary school would be bilingual. Whether they chose to attend a Gaelscoil secondary or continue studying Irish for the Leaving Cert should then be left up to them. The country could probably never afford to undertake such a project so I doubt we'll ever be a truly bilingual country.

Advertisement