Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge in your life and your child/children's life/lives?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The secret to understanding any language is to speak it, even a few words a day and to build on that. Which is why I am doing the classes to brush up as there are many words I have forgotten so that speaking to my kids as gaelgie becomes a daily thing even if it's only a few phrases.

I had been planning on doing the same with german but alas my son is doing french which I haven't got a clue of but I am willing to learn a little so that we can have some conversations in french for his sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Dead language, serious waste of a childs time and effort. Why not learn a norse language or an ancient african tongue-thats our heritage aswell if you go back far enough!

I have had that arguement with my son who says that more people speak Klingon then Irish so it would benefit him more to learn that.

So many of the place names in this country are irish or come from the irish and those places are named after people and events of our histroy so it's part of our heritage and culture and a way into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sharon Ní Bheoláin (of all people) wrote an interesting piece is this weeks Sunday Times with reference to the fact that "The teaching of Irish has been a spectacular failure" since the foundation of the State, she then goes on to say that although she herself is well known for being an Irish speaker, she does not agree that 'Irish' can continue to be a mandatory subject in our schools when the vast majority of pupils come out the other end still not able to speak the language after 14 years of compulsion!

I agree with Sharon 100%, and I also think that the mandatory forcing of Irish is/and always has done more harm than good to its image/status.

Sadly I will be powerless to stop it being forced into my kids at school, and 'yes' I expect them to come out the far end in 14 years time (along with most of their peers) not being able to speak the langauge fluently :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

silverharp wrote: »
    and that has nothing to do with the fact that are "probably" mainly middle class and or motivated parents?
    Oh, please, listening to too much David McWilliam. I work in a Gaelscoil, our intake is broad and we certainly don't take middle class children only!Some Dublin schools might have a "D4" type intake but that would be the exception rather than the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The secret to understanding any language is to speak it, even a few words a day and to build on that. Which is why I am doing the classes to brush up as there are many words I have forgotten so that speaking to my kids as gaelgie becomes a daily thing even if it's only a few phrases.

I had been planning on doing the same with german but alas my son is doing french which I haven't got a clue of but I am willing to learn a little so that we can have some conversations in french for his sake.

The sad thing is I was bi lingual before I started school. I also knew how to read before I started school. But because I was bi lingual they though I was one of those english as as second language kids and put me in classes with kids of Cuban immigrants.

So I lost one language and nearly lost another.

Then your parents should have sorted that out.

There was nothing they could do about it except homeschool which I don't think they even knew existed as a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Oh, please, listening to too much David McWilliam. I work in a Gaelscoil, our intake is broad and we certainly don't take middle class children only!Some Dublin schools might have a "D4" type intake but that would be the exception rather than the rule.

I did say motivated as well.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

I know from what you have said metrovelvet this doesnt apply to you but
    Unfortunatly Thaedydal a lot of kids dont have parents who will sort out things for them. Forcing a language that is difficult to learn and badly taught is putting these and children with learning difficulties at risk. I agree Irish is part of our heritage and I would hate to see it lost but at the moment the way it is been implemented is not working.

• Advertisement

astra2000 wrote: »
    I know from what you have said metrovelvet this doesnt apply to you but
    Unfortunatly Thaedydal a lot of kids dont have parents who will sort out things for them. Forcing a language that is difficult to learn and badly taught is putting these and children with learning difficulties at risk. I agree Irish is part of our heritage and I would hate to see it lost but at the moment the way it is been implemented is not working.

There is a limit too to the amount of control a parent has. As much as I'd like to pull my son out of IRish so he can learn French, German or Italian, school policy wont let me do that. I'd have to home school. And dont know if I can do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

There is a limit too to the amount of control a parent has. As much as I'd like to pull my son out of IRish so he can learn French, German or Italian, school policy wont let me do that. I'd have to home school. And dont know if I can do that.

You can get letters of recommendation to have your child removed from Irish learning,Tell them reasons in a letter to education department and away you go.Yes it will.I know loads of kids who cant manage Irish and are made exempt from it.

I just found this aswell for any parent who have not seen it for their younger kids :)
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/17906-worlds-first-irish-speakin
    The world’s first Irish-speaking teddy bear has won a Galway electronic toy firm top award in the Practical Pre-School Awards in the UK.

Galway-based company Bábógbaby took the gold medal in the category for its creation ‘BB’ – the world’s first Irish-speaking teddy bear. The company announced its triumph on Twitter this afternoon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is brilliant:)
    My little girl loves the website -
    http://www.babogbaby.com/

We ordered one for her birthday.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    it is brilliant:)
    My little girl loves the website -
    http://www.babogbaby.com/

We ordered one for her birthday.

Never mind kids playing with i will aswell :p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

>>Sharon Ní Bheoláin (of all people) wrote an interesting piece is this weeks Sunday Times with reference to the fact that "The teaching of Irish has been a spectacular failure" since the foundation of the State, she then goes on to say that although she herself is well known for being an Irish speaker, she does not agree that 'Irish' can continue to be a mandatory subject in our schools when the vast majority of pupils come out the other end still not able to speak the language after 14 years of compulsion!<<

Ironically before she became 'famous' Sharon Ní Bheoláin was an Irish teacher in my secondary school. The only years that boys liked Irish!

I've always loved Irish, spent a bit of time in the Gaeltacht, and was determined from a young age that any children I had would attend a Gaelscoil if at all possible. My oldest just started junior infants at a Gaelscoil 5 mins from our house, unfortunately he didn't get into the naíonra last year. I've always used the few phrases - 'suí síos', 'lámha suas', 'dún an doras', etc. but I can't believe how much he has learnt in the past 5 weeks. He's coming out with phrases that my sis (teaches 3rd class in a non gaelscoil) says she's be lucky if one or two in her class could use. On the way to a family reunion today my husband said 'oh no I forgot my camera' when a voice popped up with 'ah well, no griangraf's so'. I had to explain to my husband who had no idea what he said. He even has his 2yo brother saying 'gabh mo leithscéal' when he farts!! And my husband has started Irish lessons so that he can't talk about him behind his back. But I definitely think that total immersion is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

my oh is fluent in irish he went to gaelscoil for primary school and can still speak a fair bit now. I some how got a C3 in honours irish but can speak sod all now tbh, would love to brush up on it, and would definatly encourage any children I have to learn and enjoy the language

tscul32 wrote: »
    >>Sharon Ní Bheoláin (of all people) wrote an interesting piece is this weeks Sunday Times with reference to the fact that "The teaching of Irish has been a spectacular failure" since the foundation of the State, she then goes on to say that although she herself is well known for being an Irish speaker, she does not agree that 'Irish' can continue to be a mandatory subject in our schools when the vast majority of pupils come out the other end still not able to speak the language after 14 years of compulsion!<<

Ironically before she became 'famous' Sharon Ní Bheoláin was an Irish teacher in my secondary school. The only years that boys liked Irish!

I've always loved Irish, spent a bit of time in the Gaeltacht, and was determined from a young age that any children I had would attend a Gaelscoil if at all possible. My oldest just started junior infants at a Gaelscoil 5 mins from our house, unfortunately he didn't get into the naíonra last year. I've always used the few phrases - 'suí síos', 'lámha suas', 'dún an doras', etc. but I can't believe how much he has learnt in the past 5 weeks. He's coming out with phrases that my sis (teaches 3rd class in a non gaelscoil) says she's be lucky if one or two in her class could use. On the way to a family reunion today my husband said 'oh no I forgot my camera' when a voice popped up with 'ah well, no griangraf's so'. I had to explain to my husband who had no idea what he said. He even has his 2yo brother saying 'gabh mo leithscéal' when he farts!! And my husband has started Irish lessons so that he can't talk about him behind his back. But I definitely think that total immersion is the way to go.

It is a big possibility it is certain Teachers who have the ability to bring the enthusiasm into the Irish learning for kids also.
    The teachers i had in school were brilliant and partly down to them i am as good as i am at it.
    There in could be one of the factors.Teachers teaching Irish but have no real interest in it at all.
    Our teachers spoke it at home to their kids and to us on street when we met them or in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Hi all,

I'm not a parent but I went to an all-Irish primary school and like psycho-hope's OH I can still speak a fair bit.

I do wish I could speak a fair bit of a different language instead though.

I have great English, pretty decent Irish and terrible French.

Sure its part of our heritage etc. but tbh I'd rather it was a 3rd language for me.

Most people I know are useless at it and never use it.
    And why would they? Does it benefit you in any way beyond this "heritageness"?

OK, I won't be working for TG4/writing for Foinse/doing any of that EU or government translations etc. but is that all I'm missing out on?

I'm looking to go on placement for college now and I'm telling you being able to speak 2 languages is a major advantage for most companies.

The OP mentioned it being respected on your CV when abroad...wouldn't it be better if you actually knew the language of whatever country you're moving to?

So, going somewhat on-topic, if I was parent I'd rather my kids go to an all french/german/whatever primary school and pick Irish up in secondary school (like we do with foreign languages now)

They'll still come out with cúpla focail (should that "i" be there?) and lets be honest, thats all the majority of the adults of Ireland have anyway.

I know the idea is ludicrous but that's how I feel, heck maybe by the time the kids get to second level they'll be dying to learn it.

Advertisement