Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite place in Oz?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I was thinking this might be a good idea for a sticky!

Me and my friend are here nearly two months now, and we've spent all of our time in Sydney! From what I've heard, it's really a 50/50 situation with Sydney, but so far I've found it OK! I'm not a big fan of city life, so I could say I'm looking forward to the more laid back parts of Australia.

What I thought would be interesting would be if everyone shared the place they enjoyed the most while they were here, and what they loved about it (what kind of vibe the place had / sights to see / weather etc.) be it a place they stayed long-term or just a quick weekend getaway

If made a sticky fellow backpackers would be able to check here for places to visit that they've never been, or make travel plans based around what other people have said!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

My Bosses Beach House at Tugun, or Sitting on the Deck of My farm in NSW with a Beer and a Smoke watchin the world pass by Verrrrrrrrrrry Slowly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Good idea.

My favourite would probably be Coral Bay, in WA. Its a little slice of paradise. White sandy beach, crystal clear water, and fantastic snorkling right off the beach.
    Spent 3 days in the hostel there a few years ago, really nice place and if you're stuck for cash, you can do some work during the day to pay your way. (vacuuming, washing sheets etc.)
    There isnt a whole lot to do, but sit on the beach and relax.

Byron Bay in NSW is great for a party. Full of travellers, great atmosphere throughout the whole town.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

Byron Bay, from the things I've heard, is a definite must-go on my tavel map! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭C0N0R

My Bosses Beach House at Tugun, or Sitting on the Deck of My farm in NSW with a Beer and a Smoke watchin the world pass by Verrrrrrrrrrry Slowly:D

Off topic kinda! But what sort of farm do you have??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The whole coast of Western Australia is amazing and different spots have their own attractions (Dunsborough, Jurien, Kalbarri, Exmouth, Broome) but there's one I'll never get tired of.

I live maybe ten minutes from the shore in the northern suburbs of Perth and there's a few kilometres of the West Coast highway that runs from Ocean Reef to Trigg that is simply magical on a summer's day. The beaches are glistening and clean and the ocean basically blends with the sky such is its blueness.

The road itself meanders a little and is quite hilly meaning you get to look down on the best of the hotspots. It's popular for runners and walkers and is basically just buzzing. I could drive that stretch of road all day and never get bored. The view is just unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Noosa Heads on the Sunshine Coast is a super get-away for a week. Fantastic beaches, trendy shops, nice eating, relaxed atmosphere, lots of surfer dudes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭notonlybutalso

the airport on my way back to ireland. Didnt like the place at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Fraser Island used to be really good. I have not been there for about ten years now but back then it was getting swamped by backpackers who were abusing the place. It almost broke my heart to see some of the behaviour there back then and I have heard it's become worse since then. I am considering a trip back to see for myself as it is a beautiful island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I was going to suggest Exmouth also. I loved it.

Perth is fab, and a I love Adelaide. Its so chilled and laid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 keaneray

There are so many cool places in Australia, it would be hard to list them all. Most of the time it comes down to the friends your with or who's in your group. In general the East coast is good, but overrated. There's too many backpackers and is getting far too expensive. West coast roadtrip was probably the highlight of my two years there along with living in a tent beside Cable Beach in broome for three months. Words just can't describe. Stay off the backpacker trail and see the real Oz outback. That's where the real experience lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I was in Australia for 5 weeks in June/July of this year. My Uncle lives in Brisbane so we stayed in Queensland, North East Australia. It is the hottest part all year round, no snow etc like the rest of Oz during their Winter.

I think you should check out The Whitsunday Islands, North east of OZ.
    The most luxurious islands EVER. Clear water, The Great Barrier reef, white sand, whales, dolphins, boats, skydiving, parasailing, etc etc. A sub-tropical area, surrounded by rain forests. Amazing!

Check it out!

White Haven beach on one of the Islands...is on the top 10 beaches list in the world and boy it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Bubs99 wrote: »
    White Haven beach on one of the Islands...is on the top 10 beaches list in the world and boy it was!

Whitehaven is Awesome ... Anyone going there should check out camping overnight. It cost to get there but camping is about 5 bucks for the night.

C0N0R wrote: »
    Off topic kinda! But what sort of farm do you have??

I Grow

Steak and Chips
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Bubs99 wrote: »
    no snow etc like the rest of Oz during their Winter.

:eek: I'm pretty sure the rest of Australia doesn't get snow in the winter. High in the mountains in some areas gets snow, the "rest of Australia" certainly doesn't....

I'd have to Add riving anywhere along the North Coast is Beautiful

Things you Should See

The Atherton Tableland
    Einasleigh and the Copperfield Gorge
    The Termite mounds Around Normanton

Karrumba ( just to point at the Sign, Fonzy style, and go AAAAAAAYEEEE :D:D:D:D )

The Barclay Highway

Lietchfield Park

The Victoria and Ord Rivers

Honourable mention to Longreach for the Feckin 747 parked on the side of the road

And the Buffs Club in Mount Isa for a consistently decent Standard of Food

Oh and Dajarra, just to see the REAL Outback

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

Getting some good ideas for my travel route :)

Thanks to all who posted so far! Hopefully there's more to come :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Go white water rafting on the mckenzie, that was awesome.
    Some stunning views too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Have to second the Whitsundays. Every backpacker goes there for a reason! I've been twice for a week to Airlie Beach and both times has been the best week of my Oz trip! Great craic stayin in Magnums, and you can just hop on the day trip around all the Islands if u want, or else the overnight/weekend trips! Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Nimbin for the craic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from that loved Tassie however be warned it is freezio in the Winter:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Frankston for the actual crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

Byron is a nice spot but pretty small. A day or two would suffice.

Surfers paradise I'm not keen on - good for backpackers if you are looking for the same old thing - getting drunk and meeting other backpackers but its a bit of a cheap rip off of California if you ask me. The theme parks are good fun I guess.

Brisbane is a nice small city worth a few days, lovely down by the river in the city and Moreton Island is worth a day trip.

Stay out of Nimbin. A dump. Drug dealers in a tired village coming up offering drugs isnt exactly worth driving an hour or so inland for. Apart from the trailer trash drug dealers there is nothing to do there.

OI, Some of those 'Trailer Trash' in Nimbin are Good Friends of Mine, Tell ya what, I'd rather hang with them for a weekend that a gaggle of PretentiousCelticTigerCubs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 earl28

Anyone here ever been to Dorrigo National Park?? Is it worth making the 7 hour drive from Sydney??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Old Bar NSW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

earl28 wrote: »
    Anyone here ever been to Dorrigo National Park?? Is it worth making the 7 hour drive from Sydney??

Yes been there several times, great area

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

spent two years in oz (just the east side), fave city defo melbourne, by far better than sydney and brisbane in my opinion, best part of the east coast wud probly be byron bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

spent two years in oz (just the east side), fave city defo melbourne, by far better than sydney and brisbane in my opinion, best part of the east coast wud probly be byron bay!

I'm going to be in Melbourne for 3 weeks over Xmas. Any specific recommendations on places to go or things worth doing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

GaGa21 wrote: »
    I'm going to be in Melbourne for 3 weeks over Xmas. Any specific recommendations on places to go or things worth doing there?

<snip>
    MOD Please cut the crap, he asked a question, no need for that rubbish you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I can say my favourite place in Austrailia is Esperance on the south coast of WA.
    When i was growing up in Kalgoorlie we used to go to Esperance on holidays twice a year and its amazing! Was some difference living in a semi desert and then arriving into Esperance with its white sand and proper blue sea's.
    Dont know if many backpackers head there but i know most WA goldfield locals go there for a holiday, its great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

skipz wrote: »
    I can say my favourite place in Austrailia is Esperance on the south coast of WA.
    When i was growing up in Kalgoorlie we used to go to Esperance on holidays twice a year and its amazing! Was some difference living in a semi desert and then arriving into Esperance with its white sand and proper blue sea's.
    Dont know if many backpackers head there but i know most WA goldfield locals go there for a holiday, its great!

It looks lovely, never made it thee unfortunately. Very isolated.
    My favourites would be Coral Bay, Fraser Island and Whitsundays. i ddin't get as much travelling done as I liked but I felt Fraser Island was one of those places you could only get in Australia.
    Another place I really enjoyed was the mornington peninsula, just outside Melbourne.

Advertisement