Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Kill a Mockingbird

Options
  • 30-09-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

I know that "To Kill a Mockingbird" has been critically acclaimed throughout the world and that it features in the "10 books to read before the Apocalypse" and "Books that have stayed with you" threads.

However, I started reading it a couple of weeks ago and I have to admit that I'm struggling to finish it. I've read it up to the point where Jem, Dill and Scout decide to write a note to Boo Radley.

Unfortunately, I just feel like giving up. The story so far is (IMO) way too slow, with nothing remarkable happening.

Can someone confirm that it's going to get better or have I just missed the whole point of this book?

Cheers,
    DFG

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Ah man! Come on :eek:

Its a fantastic book, its meant to be read slowly as it is not a thriller or a fast paced plot. It is an examination of an unjust world through the eyes of children. Some of the symbolism in that book is amazing, I'll be forever grateful to Harper Lee for writing it.

I'm thinking of re-reading it, as it happens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

It's a fantastic book. If you want me a Denerick will write an essay for you explaining our interpretations of it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I read it as a child a million years ago (!) and enjoyed it! Bought it recently and plan to reread it soon. (as soon as I get through Let the Great World Spin, not enjoying that)

Will post back and let you know how it goes! But I would stick with it if you can. I find bringing books on a long bus, train or plane journey helps when you get stuck midway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I thought it was a great read. Harper Lee isn't John Grisham. If you're looking for instant gratification then I think you're reading the wrong book. Take your time and turn the issues raised in the book over in your mind. It will be rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Can someone confirm that it's going to get better or have I just missed the whole point of this book?

Cheers,
    DFG

It does get somewhat better; can't say any more without spoiling it for you. But I would agree with your comments on the first part of the book; it takes ages for it to get going and is really slow moving.

Overall, I was very underwhelmed by it. It's not a bad novel, it's just hugely overrated imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i've been in school for twelve years now and reading books has been compulsory each year. i can honestly tell you that to kill a mockingbird is the only one i truly enjoyed. the first half can seem sort of scattered, but everything comes together and it becomes much more fast-paced during the second half.

great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 de Faoite_girl

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. It seems that the opinions slightly differ on this one (greatest read of all times/a wee bit overrated) but all in all, I will take your advice and keep at it.

I have decided to take a small break though to let that feeling of boredom (boredom is a bit too strong here, but I cannot think of a lesser word at the moment) evaporate in order to start reading it from the very beginning again with new, fresh eyes. In the meantime, I am re-reading In Cold Blood and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Will let you know later how I get on with To Kill a Mockingbird.

Cheers again,
    DFG

A good tactic when reading books, or short stories, is to pause at the end of every chapter/story and ask "Why did the author put this chapter in? What are they trying to say here?" I formulated this tactic when reading Harper Lee's book because there are so many sub-plots that appear unrelated to the main narrative, and the significance of these sub-plots is only realised when you give them some consideration.

I think books like To Kill A Mockingbird can only be fully appreciated when you give it such analysis and thought. You can still appreciate good books, mind, it's just such reflection enhances the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

I have decided to take a small break though to let that feeling of boredom (boredom is a bit too strong here, but I cannot think of a lesser word at the moment) evaporate in order to start reading it from the very beginning again with new, fresh eyes.

I had to read this for a book group and found it so boring that I skimmed through it. But I'm not a very analytical reader by nature, so books that require a lot of thought AND don't catch my interest are lost causes.

There were two Americans in the book group whose reaction to the choice was heavy groaning and exclamations of "I had to read that crap in school, I'm not going near it again."

It wasn't a successful choice in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Not everybody likes books that are considered 'greats' by others. Don't worry about it if you don't like it that much. Just move on to something else. Reading is about enjoying the book rather than reading something just because lots of others like it.

Btw I love that book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

It might not be for you. Wouldn't worry about. I think you can decipher where I stand on the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I read this book in secondary school and absolutly adore it!

I know it just might not be your thing but I'd advise you to try reading again and really let yourself get lost in the story because it's a great tale and it deals with some really interesting themes too.

It does require some deep thinking but if you read it like you would in school, analysing, questioning, really thinking about the story and the message etc you might find it more enjoyable.

Obv though if it's not for you that's fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Have to admit it's a surprise to me that there are quite so many who don't like this book. I read it for the first time when I was quite young and found it gripping, and it became a firm favourite immediately. I've read it a few times since then and still love it. I'm trying to recall, but I don't think I've actually known anyone to find it awful before. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

I read it recently too, for a book club. I had read it as a teenager, but realised reading it as an adult, how much more there was to it than the story.
    Btw the movie is quite a good adaptation and Gregory Peck made a mighty fine Atticus. :) (Though the depth in a good book can never really be 100% captured in a movie, in my opinion.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dorcha

I first read “To Kill a Mocking Bird” many moons ago - and even at that time I wasn’t young! I found it quite interesting. Lee didn’t write it because she wanted to make any point, or point to any morals, but because she felt she had to (get it out of her system, as one would say nowadays). It’s essentially autobiographic , based on her own childhood. I think you can appreciate her sincerity in the matter when you realise she never wrote another book.

I wouldn’t worry too much about not liking it. It’s an individual thing. I though the writing in “Gulliver’s Travels” was awful, and as for anything by Henry James – don’t get me started; he must be one of the most boring writers ever. Another writer that I find to be a bore is Edgar Allan Poe. I read “The Hobbit” (J.R.R. Tolkien) and thought I’d embark on “The Lord of the Rings”. The core plot is good, but the meanderings bored me out of my mind and the pages and pages of battle descriptions were endured only because I felt I had to finish the thing before I could criticize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

been doing a lot of commuting recently and I decided to 'Listen' to the audiobook version. I did read T.K.A.M.B when I was younger but I decided it would be nice to have a story read to me...:D Its narrated by Sissy Spacek and my word...she does a FINE job...I was totally and utterly transported....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Brilliant book and you should get back to it. However, if you don't, you should watch the movie. It too is excellent.

Dorcha wrote: »
    Lee didn’t write it because she wanted to make any point, or point to any morals, but because she felt she had to (get it out of her system, as one would say nowadays). It’s essentially autobiographic , based on her own childhood. I think you can appreciate her sincerity in the matter when you realise she never wrote another book.

Well, either that or she dried up. Or the rumours about Truman Capote writing it were true, and he refused to do any more books for her. :D

But I think there is merit to what you said. Often times literary writers, like Ernest Hemingway, are viewed as merely artists whose primary goal is to create some artistic thing to be artistically appreciated by people similar to themselves. But I think much of the great writing, Grapes of Wrath, 1984, Slaughterhouse 5, To Kill A Mockingbird etc, is motivated primarily by the desire to communicate an idea or a belief or a perceived wrong in the world. It is good to be reminded that writing is first and foremost about communication, and that literature is there as a medium through which individuals of the world can share their frustrations, fears and, sometimes, hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my top tens, I've reread it several times over the years. I know the book might seem slow to start with but about halfway through, everything comes together and the book just flows. Beautiful writing IMO and I think if you stick with it, you'll never be sorry. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Other than the trial section (which took up a good percentage of the book, and which I thoroughly enjoyed), I didn't get anything out of this novel. I'm a slow reader by nature, but this book took the productivity out of 5 days of my life.

"In Cold Blood", however, was an enjoyable read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

budgemook wrote: »
    Brilliant book and you should get back to it. However, if you don't, you should watch the movie. It too is excellent.

I truly should give that movie a chance. I tried to watch it once, but I doubt if I even made it to 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

I truly should give that movie (To Kill A Mockingbird) a chance. I tried to watch it once, but I doubt if I even made it to 30 mins.

I really liked the book but I never warmed to the film much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Just finished reading this book for the first time. It's a belter. I thought I'd find it boring but it's one of those books where you know from the very first page it is something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I read it in school didn't think it was all that great either OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

It's a great book, but it does spend a little bit too much time on the runway before taking off. For me, the court case was the most interesting part of it. I was really surprised when I found out that Harper Lee hadn't written anything else. It would be awesome if she wrote an action thriller sequel to it just to mess with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I first read it when I was 13 and absolutely adored it. When I found out a few months later that we were studying it for the Junior Cert I wasn't too pleased I'd have preferred to read something new!

Definitely a novel I mist take another look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I first read it for the Junior Cert and later on studied it in college, can't fault it to be honest. Has a cross-generational appeal, it's engaging and its message is clear. Plenty of humour without taking away from the serious issues it discusses. Overrated? Maybe, but even the best works are going to get overrated at some point.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Other than the trial section (which took up a good percentage of the book, and which I thoroughly enjoyed), I didn't get anything out of this novel. I'm a slow reader by nature, but this book took the productivity out of 5 days of my life.

"In Cold Blood", however, was an enjoyable read

I enjoyed it when I read it but I do remember thinking that it was about the kids and Boo Radley and then all of a sudden the trial thing started and I realised that was the main point of the story. Still thought it was a fantastic book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Definitely one to read. Though I will agree the plotline is slightly slow, I found that keeping the cultural and social context of the book in mind whilst reading can help keep up interest levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Have to admit it's a surprise to me that there are quite so many who don't like this book. I read it for the first time when I was quite young and found it gripping, and it became a firm favourite immediately. I've read it a few times since then and still love it. I'm trying to recall, but I don't think I've actually known anyone to find it awful before. Interesting.

I was late reading it, my first year in college I had to read it for an assignment. I remember gasping out loud when I read "hey boo" people laughed at me!

I must pick it up again and reread! :)

Advertisement