Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got what you paid for?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Anyone that can answer this?

I purchased a custom built pc, and selected an upgrade from an i7 920 to an i7 950 processor for about an extra 200.00

I was expecting a delay because when I upgraded they advised that they didn't have the i7 950 in stock so I was prepared to wait.

The unit shipped immediately though which surprised me. The operating system (Windows Vista) identifies the processor as the i7 950 which is fine (that's what I paid for.) But somebody told me that they could have used the i7 920 and inputted it in the BIOS as a i7 950 and clocked it up to the i7 950 speed. Could this have actually happened or does the motherboard identify the processor itself?

There's a heatsink cooler installed on top of the processor so I don't want to go pulling it off to try and identify manually myself.

Can anyone advise and put my mind at ease that I haven't paid for 200.00 upgrade that I didn't actually get?

Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Download CPU-Z and see what it says, its pretty hard to fox a program that goes by manufacturer's embedded part numbers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Inputting it in the BIOS as the 950? The 950 is pretty much the same as the 920, it's not an Extreme Edition, so you can overclock the 920 to match or even exceed the 950's stock speed without inputting anything but the overclocking values that apply.

Whether it's a waste of money depends on you and what 920 you had (stepping). The newer chips are better overclockers. How you fit into the equation depends on whether you want to overclock the 950 on air cooling exceeding what you can feasibly do with the 920 on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There is no way unless you re-write the bios completely to have it show one cpu as another. So i would have to say no. But to be on the positive side, download cpu-z this will identify the cpu for you right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nadaly

That's great Anti thanks for that. I'm happy now that they did in fact fit the i7 950. Whether it was worth an extra 200.00 euro is another question.

A fool and his money ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It's only worth as much as what you expect it to do :) Just glad to see you didn't get ripped off, so much of that going around at the moment :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement