Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master's in Computing

Options
  • 30-09-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I am just enquiring about the Master's in Computing - stream with Security and Digital Forensics. Is there any student who has done this course or is currently completing this course that could advise me on it?

Is it worth doing the course? What are the subjects like? Are job prospects good? Please PM me if you have any info or advice on this course and the stream in particular.

Thanks
    Snuggles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

hi snuggles, i dont do this course in limerick, but i did first year in letterkenny, and it was called computer security and digital forensics, so i can assume they are the same.

I transfered to 2nd year in waterford to computer forensics, but that has now been renamed.

First year is a standard computing course,
    programming (java)
    discrete maths (binary, hex, matricies etc)
    communications (complete bore...)
    general computing / computer architecture (how the computer works)
    we also did student development for first semester, we played games etc :p

in second semester it was very similiar, but it did get a tiny bit more in depth which was great as it is a great course.
    we did
    programming (java)
    maths for cryptography
    computer crime (discussing all fields of the crime scene etc)
    computer architecture (more on how the computer world works)
    networks. (excellent subject. all about protocol's and how the internet works and how computers talk to each other through hubs/switches/routers etc and firewalls)

thats the general gist of the course.
    Its a great course to get into, and you dont need to be super smart to get through it, just turn up to class, dont sit on facebook and do the extra work out of school hours and you will be fine in it.

Job prospect's are looking impressive. You can go into almost any computer security field such as banking, server's, government / law enforcement, etc.

hope some of this helps!

Advertisement