Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

53 chainring/52 chainring

• 30-09-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi

Probably a stupid question but is there much difference between a 52 chainring and a 53 chainring.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

veedub02 wrote: »
    Hi

Probably a stupid question but is there much difference between a 52 chainring and a 53 chainring.

One tooth :)

In all seriousness, not really a huge amount -about 1 gear inch... the number of teeth on a cassette are more important imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just under 2% higher gearing with a 53. Moving from a 12 to 11 on the back gives you an extra 8.3%.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

When I started out all chainsets were 52/42. I always understood why the 39 was useful but never convinced a 53 is any improvement..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

emma pooley had a 55 in the womens TT yesterday for the downhill

i alwys thought having a 53 was like having an 11 on your marshall amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

veedub02 wrote: »
    Hi

Yes 53 and above is a mens chainset, anything below a 53 is for girls.

(Really though, no you shouldn't notice any difference unless you are taking on Fabian in a TT or Cavendish in a sprint)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobFowl wrote: »
    When I started out all chainsets were 52/42. I always understood why the 39 was useful but never convinced a 53 is any improvement..

Odd numbers of teeth are better, as are prime numbers. Probably. Maybe something to do with evening out wear* like with skid patches on fixies.

* no, not cocktail dresses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lumen wrote: »
    Odd numbers of teeth are better, as are prime numbers. Probably. Maybe something to do with evening out wear* like with skid patches on fixies.

* no, not cocktail dresses.

I'd buy that explanation If my compact wasn't a 50/34 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 veedub02

Thanks for all the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If you want to compare actual numbers for different gear combinations, look at the gear-inch table at the bottom of this page. There is a row for each chainring size and a column for each rear sprocket size. The actual gear-inch numbers themselves aren't important (to me, at least), it's how they compare to other gear combinations that is the interesting bit.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

...or simply divide front by back and compare:

eg 52/13 = 4 = fast
    34/17 = 2 = half as fast (or, to put it another way, slow)
    (assuming the same cadence)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

I think the 'inch' gear measurement came for the size of the front wheel on a penny-farthing bike - the bigger the wheel the higher the gear?

Advertisement