Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Neighbourhoods for Halloween

Options
  • 30-09-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I'm glad to see Halloween is celebrated here in Ireland! I have a young child who has never experienced it as we lived in a Halloween deprived country since her birth.

I'm assuming children go door-to-door trick or treating. What neighbourhoods in Galway are most Halloween friendly? I heard mine isn't so much (older neighbourhood with few children).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

be nice to know where you are living currently (east/west ) side of city so we could give you a few estates near your location....
    enjoy it though your child will love it !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Oops, good point Peacebrother!

I'm in the west end, Newcastle...

Actually most of the estates are ok around there

The ones that will be busiest on halloween would like be Corrib, Coogan, Gaelcarrig & Innishanagah (sp) as there would be a high volume of children in those

Other ones not so bad would possibly be Hazel & Laurel

After that Fairlands and Cherry would be on the older side

Also probably best to head out around 6 or 7. Any later than that and the 4 estates at the top are likely to get busy with teens drinking on halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Amik wrote: »
    I'm glad to see Halloween is celebrated here in Ireland! I have a young child who has never experienced it as we lived in a Halloween deprived country since her birth.

I'm assuming children go door-to-door trick or treating. What neighbourhoods in Galway are most Halloween friendly? I heard mine isn't so much (older neighbourhood with few children).

it actually originated here, although most people only know the american version of it.
    generally the kids only go to houses they know. otherwise its a good idea to be somewhere in the background. you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Don't completely discount the idea of going around your own estate. As long as the neighbours aren't so old that they might risk breaking a hip on the way to open the door , I think most people are happy enough to indulge halloweeners from their own estate.

Oh and please go around with her if she's very young. It gives me the creeps when every year some unaccompanied 5 year old arrives at the door at halloween.I find myself worrying about them then for the rest of the night.:o

Going around with your small kids is a good way of getting to know your neighbours and letting them get an opportunity to meet your child when you're there. It can be valuable,particularly in settled estates that aren't full of students or renters, to have some neighbours in your area who know your child a little and who can keep an eye out for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yep, we only started adopting the 'threat' part in more recent years from *trick* or treat!:p

It used to be 'help the Halloween party' on Oiche Shamhain. Kids would collect nuts, sweets, (and the odd 5p or 10p) for 'the party' and there would usually be a bonfire.

I remember making a 'turnip lamp' (not easy) to carry around. The idea got carried over to the US, and became the much more user-friendly pumpkin lamp.

I agree, go around 7 with younger kids, even stand on the road if they want to call in themselves. I usually put a lantern out or a candle and have some sweets in if I am home. People without kids still do this too. My friend used to dress up himself at his house and give them a good fright when the door opened!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Children at my door the past few nights legitimately begging..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

its probably best to just go around your own area where you are known - most people in Ireland will play along and give out sweets now, even the older people - they are aware kids will call.

Not so long ago, before all the fancy outfits, and accessories, kids used to just put coal on their faces and old raggedy clothes, and sing a song on the doorway

halloween is coming
    and the geese are gettin fat
    please put a penny in the old mans hat
    if you haven't got a penny
    a ha'penny will do
    if you haven't got a ha'penny
    god bless you.

the would then count their treasure and head to the local sweet shop. Bonfires made up of old tyres, mattrasses, etc could go on for two days. Kids would be collecting from the house for a few weeks, and building up the bonfires.

However now it is a much more "clean" version of halloween - the kids outdo themselves with their bought costumes and accessories - they do "trick or treat" and collect sweets - they have shop bought fireworks and the bonfires are mostly banned although you do get a couple of rebel ones still going. :D

GREAT story dolphincity! :D Daughter is already excited, carving two 65 cent Dunnes pumpkins tonight with her. ;)

The bonfire we used to have where I grew up was always massive - pretty much most of the village would turn out for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Just watch out for the groups of drunken students staggering around roaring, throwing eggs, and displaying altogether more flesh and anatomy than might be appropriate for a young child to be viewing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

and don't forget to keep your pets safely indoors!:)

I'm looking forward to kids calling (in a non-creepy way!)
    have partybags at the ready!

someone told me that when they were kids they'd go trick or treating, remember all the "good houses" then change their outfits, go back and hit the good houses again! the cheeckayas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

This guy was always the best on haloween he gave us all great stuff

herbert-picture.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in firecracker activity this year compared to last year or the year before?
    I've only heard four or so in the past week and I'd like to think I live in a pyrotechnic susceptible area.

Do the kids here say "Trick-or-Treat?" or do something else? According to Wikipedia it was brought to to the Isles from USA/Canada and not really accepted here.

Do the kids here say "Trick-or-Treat?" or do something else? According to Wikipedia it was brought to to the Isles from USA/Canada and not really accepted here.

"The Isles" ??:rolleyes:;)

Well media/films/tv certainly has brought it here, and kids more often than not use 'trick or treat' now.

When I was a kid it was 'help the halloween party', or a variation of the rhyme/song that was posted earlier.

On parts of Aran it is a lovely tradition where the entire night is mostly silent until midnight. Kids knock on your door in complete disguise and are dead silent, you pass people on the roads and you nod, not speak. Often people in disguise will order their pints on pieces of paper in the pubs! The idea is that the dead will be walking the roads with the living that night, and to give them privacy, everyone who is disguised is silent. There is a big Ceidhli at midnight for unmasking, and there are always a few notable figures from the night......missing....muahhhaaa!:D

WOW, Irish Halloweens ARE the best! Thanks everyone, we had a FANTASTIC Halloween yesterday in Newcastle!

My daughter gathered an impressive bag of treats AND money (3.70 EUR in coins)! The old people were the sweetest and gave the best treats, including pomegranates.

The well dressed houses didn't scare her, but the enormous bonfire by the Westside library did - it was HUGE and not very legal looking! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the enormous bonfire by the Westside library did - it was HUGE and not very legal looking! :P

fyi, all bonfires are illegal, no matter how large/small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

We didn't have much of a Hallowe'en in my part of Knocknacarra, partly because the street lights aren't working and the road was pitch black. Driving through Newcastle and the Rahoon Road about 8-ish, though, there were crowds of kids everywhere, it looked like great fun.

We always said "Trick or treat" when I was the age, in the late 80s and early 90s. Used to dread the occasional mischevious homeowner who'd demand a trick first, because we never had anything prepared. We'd sing a song or something....

We had about ten groups come by. Most did 'trick or treat', a couple just stood there, a couple did 'haunty and scary noises' :) and we were very impressed with the couple who sang the original song.

• Advertisement
Advertisement