Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMC written job offer

Options
  • 30-09-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

i have been offered a verbal job offer from EMC and was wondering whether any one can assist and how long it roughly takes for EMC to come back with a written offer, as i have been informed i only have one final approver in the states to sign off

cheers
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

jbt01 wrote: »
    Hi

i have been offered a verbal job offer from EMC and was wondering whether any one can assist and how long it roughly takes for EMC to come back with a written offer, as i have been informed i only have one final approver in the states to sign off

cheers
    John

Talk to your HR contact it can take a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

if you have a verbal offer, then dont worry your sorted.. the approval process can take a while as there is always someone who cant be tracked down to sign off...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Dont be surprised if you are waiting 4 wks..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭opus

corkcomp wrote: »
    if you have a verbal offer, then dont worry your sorted.. the approval process can take a while as there is always someone who cant be tracked down to sign off...

Unless the project gets canned in the meantime, happened to me when I had a verbal job offer from EMC a few years back. Unlikely that will happen again though I'd hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

What was the job? I recently had an interview there and I haven't heard anything back from them. I'm just curious if we went for the same position? I think they're keeping me in the dark until they have someone signed up.

• Advertisement

A friend worked there in the data storage customer care section, he absolutely despised the place, he was there as a debug tech before that position and didn't mind that. My sister was an accountant there for a couple of years and found it a good place to work.

Off topic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

RoverJames wrote: »
    A friend worked there in the data storage customer care section, he absolutely despised the place, he was there as a debug tech before that position and didn't mind that. My sister was an accountant there for a couple of years and found it a good place to work.

Off topic :D

I worked there for 2 and a half years and hated the work I was doing. But, it really depends on what department you're working in, some people love it, some people hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

opus wrote: »
    Unless the project gets canned in the meantime, happened to me when I had a verbal job offer from EMC a few years back. Unlikely that will happen again though I'd hope!

It happened to someone I know a month ago - verbal offer followed a week later by position being put on hold (with no sign of it being opened up again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 techienew

My friend was recently made a verbal offer by emc bangalore , he was asked to wait for a month because the offer had to go through us approval , After one months he was told that the position was already closed.Unprofessional HR , no ethics at all.please dont waste your time relying of their offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tell us more?

I've heard a lot that this company, while apparently really good to work for, has a very messy recruitment process that requires a lot of chasing up by the candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Their HR people generally aren't great recruiters. Different skillsets required.
    I'd chase this up with your contact, tell em you're genuinely interested,
    that EMC is your first choice etc but that you have other offers and you'd like
    to close with them asap. That ought to light a fire under HR ;)
    The hiring manager into who's department you're supposed to go, will not want
    to lose a candidate to a competitor, cause HR didn't close the deal
    quickly. If you can, in preference to HR, reach out to that person, who'll get HR
    to hurry up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 techienew

My friend waited for the offer only because it was a good skill set match .

I also heard the same thing from couple of other people but the story was a bit different.I believe they were told that project was scrapped.HR needs to be sure of the requirement before they hire.Even before they make the verbal offer they should think twice.The sad part was that the HR person didn't even feel apologetic ,he casually revealed that the position was closed after making my friend wait for more than a month.

I think verbal offer is just to hold on to the person while they fix a another person for the position.Emc is supposed to be a giant .If they keep doing this they may loose their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It tends to be a problem with a lot of 'mutli nationals'. Their hiring procedures are long and convoluted and often require the approval of someone in the US who may or may not give a ****. Headcount tends to be something managers need to fight tooth and nail for and they don't always win...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Dudess wrote: »
    Tell us more?

I've heard a lot that this company, while apparently really good to work for, has a very messy recruitment process that requires a lot of chasing up by the candidate.

They're good to work for, well in my department anyways they are...HR in Cork are an absolute nightmare to deal with still, very lazy and disinterested - or so it would seem. EMC are always a bit slow with the contracts and generally you'll only end up with maybe a weekends notice before you start, I wouldn't be too worried about a delayed contract or start though, that just seems to be common practice here. Chasing up definitly helps, as was said above go to the hiring manager rather then HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jobhunt123

Thanks for the info.I also have a verbal offer from emc bangalore and have been waiting on it for almost 3 weeks . I will not rely on the offer and will start accepting others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Viper_JB wrote: »
    They're good to work for, well in my department anyways they are...HR in Cork are an absolute nightmare to deal with still, very lazy and disinterested - or so it would seem. EMC are always a bit slow with the contracts and generally you'll only end up with maybe a weekends notice before you start, I wouldn't be too worried about a delayed contract or start though, that just seems to be common practice here. Chasing up definitly helps, as was said above go to the hiring manager rather then HR.

how can it work that you have a weekend notice before you start. you would have to give your current employer 4 weeks minimum so this weekend notice wouldnt work. depends on position i suppose, it could happen that sales people who are not working at present would just get a few days notice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

mickman wrote: »
    how can it work that you have a weekend notice before you start. you would have to give your current employer 4 weeks minimum so this weekend notice wouldnt work. depends on position i suppose, it could happen that sales people who are not working at present would just get a few days notice

I was coming straight in from college...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Papa_maximus

Any update on this issue as I am in a similar position

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Any update on this issue as I am in a similar position

I joined some months ago and I never got a real written offer from them, just a verbal one, and a package including the contract on the post only a few days before my first day of employment. Think about one to two weeks to get the written contract on your mailbox from the time they give you the verbal agreement, but take into account we are in the middle of the summer (holiday / vacation) season, and if approvals are needed, they may take longer than usual.

What usually takes AGES is getting the verbal "you are the chosen one", since the time you have gone through the final interview. Anywhere from one to several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Papa_maximus

Thanks for the update. Been given a verbal offer and been waiting a while now for approval from states. It seems like my situation is not unusual then. Will wait it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 waitforever

It has been more than 5 weeks, I have been told that I am through all rounds and someone in states has to sign the final salary approval, how can it really take more than 5 weeks to sign a approval? I am in touch with HR constantly but they dont have a definite answer yet, all they say is will update you , yet to receive the approval. Is this common with EMC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Well this thread seems to have already answered your question... yes.

5 weeks since your interview or 5 weeks since they verbally told you you got the job?

I assume it's the latter, in which case it's not taking 5 weeks to just sign the approval. Most likely, and this is just a shot in the dark ;), EMC had other candidates for the job who they also interviewed over a 2-3 week period. Having decided on you (congrats!), there is then a whole chain of people it has to go through in a large organisation like EMC that could potentially take a couple of weeks.

5 weeks is on the long end of a turnaround time in fairness but it sounds like the deal is nearly done. They picked you in the end, happy days! :)

Thanks Bacchus,

5 weeks since they have told me I am through all rounds and they asked me for my current payslips to decide on salary, salary approval has to come from USA. What I am worried is that after salary approval if I agree they will then generate a offer letter which may take even more time. Is it normal for just salary to be approved taking 5 weeks ? HR has been in constant touch and always tell me ' It is in process , will update you ".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I worked for EMC a good few years ago and even back then it took about a month to get the written approval, so it seems like nothing has changed.

To be honest HR can't do anything for you from now on. Their job is to find a candidate, which they've done, and a line manager has decided to hire you. It's now out of their hands until all the internal approval has been sorted by the line manager. At that point he'll instruct them to write up the contract for you.

So you'll just have to wait patiently unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Wow! 5 weeks waiting AFTER they told you you got the job! Weird they ask for your current payslips too to determine your salary. Sounds like an absolute pain. Have you kept up the job hunt in the meantime? Nothing sets a fire under a hiring team's ass like "I've had an offer from another company" :) Until you have a contract in your hands, nothing is set in stone. I was once in a similar situation, waiting 2 weeks after verbal offer, then the company had a hiring freeze and I was left in the lurch. I doubt EMC will screw you over like that but 5 weeks is a crazy amount of time to leave you hanging.

Ok, finally I got the offer after 6 months. Ever heard about P1 P2 or P3 grades? How good is P3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Thanks Bacchus,

5 weeks since they have told me I am through all rounds and they asked me for my current payslips to decide on salary, salary approval has to come from USA. What I am worried is that after salary approval if I agree they will then generate a offer letter which may take even more time. Is it normal for just salary to be approved taking 5 weeks ? HR has been in constant touch and always tell me ' It is in process , will update you ".

Yikes, that's a pain. I can't speak for everywhere, but there would be a ****storm here if I asked my company for payslips. It would effectively mean I'd be resigning before having any firm job offer.

But seriously: a job offer after 6 months? What have you been doing in the meantime, still looking or working elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Surely everyone has payslips already? You would not need to ask anyone for them?

Six months, wow!

Advertisement