Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL Modem setting for "Bridge Mode"

• 30-09-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

OK it's time to start messin' with my router and the eircom broadband. I have a home server (WHS v1) and a CCTV system and one or both require me to set the Modem to "Bridging Mode". So.....

1) Can anyone post a step by step guide for setting the eircom router into bridging mode? I have the newer supplied Xytel modem.

2) Secondly I have from old a DIR-855 dual band Router and I was thinking of getting a straight forward ADSL Modem and connecting the DIR-855 to it (via the WAN port) thus using the DIR-855 dual band N flavoured Wifi. Any recomentdations for a DSL Modem. If I did this option and still required the "Bridge Mode" settings which would need to be set to Bridge mode, the Modem or the Router?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Bridge mode just connects the WAN and LAN side of the modem directly together. If you set this on the modem and connect it to your CCTV server, then you won't be able to connect anything else to the modem, either wireless or Ethernet. Your server will need to route everything (have 2 Ethernet cards) for any other computer to be connected to the Internet.

In bridge mode, your router is just a modem, so no need to buy a new ADSL modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If its a Netopia they don't do bridge mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,286 ✭✭✭✭L1011

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If its a Netopia they don't do bridge mode

Entirely untrue.

All Netopias, from the black/navy ones up to the silver wireless ones do.

Go to Advanced mode, go to Connections and change to RFC1483 bridging on one the dropdown menus there.

The only DSL routers being given out in Ireland I've ever found that don't do bridging mode are the O2 Zyxels. I'd do hundreds of them a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

MYOB wrote: »
    All Netopias, from the black/navy ones up to the silver wireless ones do.

I'm not so sure about that. I have several of the silver Netopia 2247NWG units here which stubbornly refuse to go into bridge mode. Maybe some of the Eircom Netopia model/firmware variations are more cooperative than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

Its the Zytel Modem I have and the second (WiFi Router) in a D Link Dir 855. Which one would you suggest I connect to Bridge Mode? What port would I connect the DIR 855 with, WAN or LAN?

The CCTV company are now suggesting I set up a Virtual Server (add a Virtual Server Web Port) port on the ADSL Modem :confused: id this the same as Port Forwarding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

bhickey wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. I have several of the silver Netopia 2247NWG units here which stubbornly refuse to go into bridge mode. Maybe some of the Eircom Netopia model/firmware variations are more cooperative than others.
    I have found that you sometimes need to downgrade your firmware to get it to work. Whatever version of the firmware that is on netopia's website works. You will find its an older version than the one that is installed. This applies to only the silver netopia routers - the old navy ones worked fine.

Its the Zytel Modem I have and the second (WiFi Router) in a D Link Dir 855. Which one would you suggest I connect to Bridge Mode? What port would I connect the DIR 855 with, WAN or LAN?

The CCTV company are now suggesting I set up a Virtual Server port on the ADSL Modem :confused:
    Since you will now be using the D link to control the Zyxel you will be connecting the WAN port of the D Link to any of the ports on the Zyxel.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

axer wrote: »
    Since you will now be using the D link to control the Zyxel you will be connecting the WAN port of the D Link to any of the ports on the Zyxel.

And Bridge the D Link or the Zyxel?

And Bridge the D Link or the Zyxel?
    Is the Zyxel a modem or a router? If the Zyxel is a modem only then you do not need to bridge it as bridging only disables the router part.

If the Zyxel is a router then you will need to bridge that.

You will be connecting the Zyxel to the WAN port of the D link and setting up the PPPoE settings on the Dlink.

EDIT: I know now. Its the new black Eircom routers. Yes you will need to bridge the Zyxel.

Then connect the Zyxel (any port) to the WAN port of the Dlink router. Setup up the PPPoE settings on the Dlink.

Advertisement