Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do people buy their models????

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I dare say that in California where you're based, the model shops are big, bright and airy places with all the models you could want. However, model shops here are firmly stuck in the dark ages. I'm a member of a rc aircraft forum based in the UK and the guys on that forum are forever going on about the latest model plane they've seen in their local model shop. They post up pictures of large scale warbirds like the P51, P47 and Spitfires which the model shops here probably haven't even hearh of.

That was well spotted i never even noticed the california thing, a couple of trips into dublin city centre would cancel out the convenience factor fairly quick. I get the thick cyano from hobbyking for gluing the foam together, ideal it is, as its nice and thick so does not run everywhere. $1.50 for big bottle of it. I used it for building the cularis, and used it also to modify a radian slightly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

What did you do to your Radian Robbie?? I have heard of some guys fitting ailerons to their Rads.

Do you know that there is a new Radian Pro coming out soon that has flaps and ailerons? See here -

http://www.squadronleader.co.uk/product/Radian_Pro_%28BNF%29_PKZ5480

Big step up from the existing Radian I think!

Do you buy much gear from Hobbyking? Everytime I go onto their site, I get fierce tempted to start buying things I don't really need like a tiger tank! They have this gizmo though that I think would be very useful, its a bit like a fuel guage in that it monitors your battery voltage and lets you know if you're running out of juice. No more "dead stick" landings!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10343&Product_Name=Quanum_2.4Ghz_Telemetry_System_(Volt/Amp/Temp/mAh)_V2

What did you do to your Radian Robbie?? I have heard of some guys fitting ailerons to their Rads.

Do you know that there is a new Radian Pro coming out soon that has flaps and ailerons? See here -

http://www.squadronleader.co.uk/product/Radian_Pro_%28BNF%29_PKZ5480

Big step up from the existing Radian I think!

Do you buy much gear from Hobbyking? Everytime I go onto their site, I get fierce tempted to start buying things I don't really need like a tiger tank! They have this gizmo though that I think would be very useful, its a bit like a fuel guage in that it monitors your battery voltage and lets you know if you're running out of juice. No more "dead stick" landings!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10343&Product_Name=Quanum_2.4Ghz_Telemetry_System_(Volt/Amp/Temp/mAh)_V2

I just installed sockets on it to plug in a video transmitter and camera, we have flown it with the full setup on it, eagle tree on screen dispaly and all, and flew it from a tv, we had just taped all the wiring onto plane but now am installing a socket near the back for video transmitter and one under wing for camera, so just plug them in and out as required. So all the wiring is internal. Built a tracking ground station as well which follows the glider in the air for good reception. None of the gear is mine, i put it all together for another fella taking photos with it.

Have not seen the new radian, i was only saying to son last week it would be good if they came out with a bigger one.

Bought loads off hobbyking, 4 big lipos for trex 600, 2 for cularis glider, 4 of them bottles of thick CA glue, all the motor controller and motor and servo`s for the cularis, and countless other bits as well.

The new DX8 has the telemetry transmitter setup with it, transmits that battery voltage down, among other things, onto the radio screen.

Here is a video i did from the cularis, just a compact camera on the wing, you can hear the masking tape vibrating like a reed in the first minute, i could here it even when it a fair bit up, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Uixd8dBT8

I saw that the DX8 had telemetry but at £320 it was too expensive for my early stage of development, i.e. I'm not quite a noob anymore but still no expert flyer! That Hobbyking gizmo is under €45 so I think I'll go for it as I have an unfortunate tendency to fly too long until the lvc comes on and I end up having to glide my birds in - easy enough for the Rad but the Supercub and the new Trojan don't glide half as well!!! A bit of warning that the lipo is almost drained would be handy for me.

I use sticky backed velcro to hold my camera on. I bought it in Hickeys (the curtain and dress making shop in Henry Street Dublin - don't get the wrong idea btw :P). I attached one side to the plane and one to the camera and it has held perfectly despite loops, rolls, bumpy landings and a collision with a tree when I had a "flyaway" with my Rad and she flew uncontrolled into a tree, crashed to the ground all recorded on the camera that was still attached to the wing after the crash. The Rad was practically undamaged though just missing a few small bits of foam from the wing. I used to use tape like yourself and it does flutter in the wind. It was the thought of it being whipped off that made me use the velcro which is far better at holding the camera and as you leave one side permanently stuck to the plane, your "camera mount" is always ready to use.

I saw that the DX8 had telemetry but at £320 it was too expensive for my early stage of development, i.e. I'm not quite a noob anymore but still no expert flyer! That Hobbyking gizmo is under €45 so I think I'll go for it as I have an unfortunate tendency to fly too long until the lvc comes on and I end up having to glide my birds in - easy enough for the Rad but the Supercub and the new Trojan don't glide half as well!!! A bit of warning that the lipo is almost drained would be handy for me.

I use sticky backed velcro to hold my camera on. I bought it in Hickeys (the curtain and dress making shop in Henry Street Dublin - don't get the wrong idea btw :P). I attached one side to the plane and one to the camera and it has held perfectly despite loops, rolls, bumpy landings and a collision with a tree. I used to use tape like yourself and it does flutter in the wind. It was the thought of it being whipped off that made me use the velcro which is far better at holding the camera and as you leave one side permanently stuck to the plane, your "camera mount" is always ready to use.

I have used everything, velcro, tape, brackets we made, just depends on the application. Velcro will take lumps out of the foam at times if you want to remove it, i did`t fancy that on the cularis, also its a go pro camera which is not my one so tape was best for it in that instance. Tesco sell the velcro, we often use it in different situations. Because of the shape of the go pro, if it was just velcro`d on it would wobble around too much, thats also why i used masking tape as strapping to help hold it steady, it still did`t stay perfectly steady as can be seen in the video as the wing moves in the shot.

You get to know when the battery is running low by the performance especially when climbing, but its very handy to see it on screen, the low voltage cut off is actually a little to far for the battery to be run to usually, and 3.6v is the recommended minimum per cell with no load, under load it could be down to 3v per cell, you get to know the voltage to watch out for when viewing it on a screen.

We have a better camera mount now for the live video feed we got off hobbyking, its a sony ccd camera and a little mount they do for it.

• Advertisement

the Supercub and the new Trojan don't glide half as well!!! A bit of warning that the lipo is almost drained would be handy for me.

I used to glide the p51 down in a lot of flights, climb up fairly high and let it run out of fuel, the cub and trojan will glide no problem, once you have enough altitude. They may have a steeper glide slope than the radian, but will glide very well, except if a bit too windy where its easier to make progress into the wind with power.

Any sign of your trojan yet, i would`t mind one myself.

I will put up a youtube clip of the tracking ground station in a few minutes, you can have a look,

Heres a video dave of ground tracking station i put together from a sheet of ply and mounted with eagle tree ground station unit, driven with servos and main drive gears from a t-rex 600, will probably only leave it up a few days on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbEm3-2lCIs

And another video i did about a month ago with a go pro HD camera. Unfortunately the camera has a scratched lens, but i put the video up on youtube today, actually the video in post #34 was not the go pro like i mentioned in post #36, that was a compact camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz3fQkADBuA

Thats some home made tracking station you have there! Very impressive.

I thought the Rad was a big bird but the Cularis wingspan is 2 feet bigger! How much different is she to the Rad, i.e. faster, more responsive, longer flight times etc????

My Trojan arrived on Wednesday but its been too windy to try to fly her. I'll fly my Radian and Supercub as I'm used to them but as the Trojan is new to me and my first aileron bird, I think it would be prudent to wait until I get a calm-ish day to maiden her. Can't wait though as she'll be a big step up in the speed and aerobatics stakes!!:D She's not as big as I thought when put together, actually a slightly shorter wingspan than the Cub but then again (thanks to you!;)), I did start off flying with the Radian and most foam planes don't come bigger than her!

Regarding your Youtube vids, how long does it take to upload them? I have a few vids myself taken from my Radian that show the flat Kildare countryside all the way down to the Dublin/Wicklow mountains but when I tried to upload one of them to Youtube, it said it would take 7 hours!!!! My upload speed was only 0.2mb so that explains that or is there a way to compress the file for faster upload?

Thats some home made tracking station you have there! Very impressive.

I thought the Rad was a big bird but the Cularis wingspan is 2 feet bigger! How much different is she to the Rad, i.e. faster, more responsive, longer flight times etc????

My Trojan arrived on Wednesday but its been too windy to try to fly her. I'll fly my Radian and Supercub as I'm used to them but as the Trojan is new to me and my first aileron bird, I think it would be prudent to wait until I get a calm-ish day to maiden her. Can't wait though as she'll be a big step up in the speed and aerobatics stakes!!:D She's not as big as I thought when put together, actually a slightly shorter wingspan than the Cub but then again (thanks to you!;)), I did start off flying with the Radian and most foam planes don't come bigger than her!

Regarding your Youtube vids, how long does it take to upload them? I have a few vids myself taken from my Radian that show the flat Kildare countryside all the way down to the Dublin/Wicklow mountains but when I tried to upload one of them to Youtube, it said it would take 7 hours!!!! My upload speed was only 0.2mb so that explains that or is there a way to compress the file for faster upload?

The tracking station i just made the frames up and the drives, the electronics is eagle tree groundstation and 2 receivers one of which is using the patch antenna.

The cularis is a fair bit bigger, its double the weight and the fuse is a lot bigger etc, its much more responsive and noticeably faster, flight duration is about the same if there are no thermals, id say the radian is probably slightly better for flight duration as its only half the weight but more than half the wing area. The cularis has airbrakes as well, like the new radian pro has, and it needs them, it comes in too fast without them and would need a much longer landing area not using them. I just programmed the DX7 to operate the brakes in crow braking format. A tricky programming setup to get right it was.

The upload i have is 0.5mb, they usually take about an hour, just upload yours at night and leave it going during the night if taking that long, although 7 hours it must be huge files? If its taking me an hour, the same file on yours should be 2.5 hours. I am going to go up to next broadband which is 1mb upload soon id say.

I believe you will find the trojan easier to fly than non aileron aircraft once your used to the extra reaponse the ailerons give, maybe easier is the wrong discription, but the extra response is great, best doing the first flight on a decent day alright. I have not been flying much this week myself because its not as noce to fly on very windy days, although i have flown the radian in gale winds at the coast of wexford before, at hook head. I was able to reverse it in from over the sea, and to turn with the wind it was like a rocket. Needed motor over half of full power to go forward into the wind that day.When i was taking off i was thinking it was a bit risky in the wind that was blowing but it was manageable.It was not a day to run the battery low anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 vtecclubby

post edited by Mod
    Mod: sales text, link and phone number removed. Use adverts.ie for selling.

Charter Rules:
    6. This is not a for sale board, so don't post threads selling stuff here, instead, post it on adverts.ie's FS General board. You may link to it in a thread here if you want to attract attention from the community that wouldn't generally read the FS board..

Advertisement