Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery prices creeping up

Options
  • 30-09-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed butter gone up in all the supermarkets and a lot of small increases from bacon to sausages etc? Are we supposed not to notice - just to look at the special offers and buy the rest of our shopping like blind mice?:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I have noticed! And it's not just small increases that you wouldn't notice - some are up by 30c! Even Lidl and Aldi are increasing their prices.

With our wages getting smaller, we're going to have to be more cautious about what we put in the basket/trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Yes I have noticed also.

In Dunnes 100pk of tea lights before the recession were €5 then reduced to €3 then to €3.50 and now €4!

It's a joke the mark up they have on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i noticed this too, its not much really liga (before the re-call) was 1.95 now its €2.10...

a few other products have done this too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I noticed how Tesco's big cuts 2 years ago have very much creeped up. Everything is the same price as boom years to be honest: eating out, cinema, food in shops, flights, holidays, petrol, doctors, hair dresser, dentist.
    So who exactly gets the pay cuts??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am finding the staples like tea coffee, sugar, butter , milk, meat, washing powder, toilet paper has gone way up, even aldi and lidl have crept up with the past 12 months, not much difference between them and supervalu, so i just look out for bargains, and they are gone slim on the ground in these places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yup! Dunne's cremery butter shot up by 20c for a pound. Now E1.99, rather than the E1.79 it was before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

considering a lot of products come from the UK and the UK has food price inflation of almost 6% at the moment, we'll be affected.

One wholesaler sent me a note to say a range of manufacturer price increase are coming in october including Cadbury, Nestle & Mars. - It won't affect me as I'm not in that end of business, but prices are starting to rise and the best option is to watch for the specials and change brands where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

And on monday, all bread goes up 10%.

The price of wheat has gone up so it filters through to bread.

I say all bread, but, the email I got from Head Office mentions Brennans, Johnston Mooney and Pat the Baker. To me, thats all the bread suppliers.

FUNNY how all of them seem to be putting it up on the very same day....

I can hear the customer complaints already....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes i noticed... and i was told i was a miserable fcuker for noticeing...... When its on the news next week i will be then told i watch to much...

The laughable thing is if i did not notice i would be told that i am a typical bloke who is reckless with money...

btw....Even own brands have gone up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

have really noticed it in the last 9/12 months,used to drive to my nearest tesco for saving's but don't bother now there prices just went threw the roof.
    now do my shopping in super-value/lidl,they are not much better to be honest i try and buy the bargains or special offer's and then whatever is the cheapest in either shop,coffee i drink has gone up by 62c in less than a year and it's the cheap brand,with a hard hitting budget on the way i can only see more misery and hardship :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Even worse in some cases is that some products are reduced in size but kept at the same price. Obviously that doesn't apply to a lot of standard size produce but blocks of cheese as an example have been reduced from 230g to 200g and the same thing happened about 2 years ago. It's a filthy underhand tactic.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

goat2 wrote: »
    i am finding the staples like tea coffee, sugar, butter , milk, meat, washing powder, toilet paper has gone way up, even aldi and lidl have crept up with the past 12 months, not much difference between them and supervalu, so i just look out for bargains, and they are gone slim on the ground in these places
    most things like paper products tea bread coffee etc fluctuate in price throughout the year and paper has been very cheap for some time as has coffee so the prices of these is just creeping back up to what it already was(hopefully stopping at that point).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

have definately noticed a lot of groceries creeping back up. I did put some of this down to the weakinging euro versus sterling over the past few months, but that doesnt really explain the rise in products from Ireland (rashers, sausages etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭JohnC.

have definately noticed a lot of groceries creeping back up. I did put some of this down to the weakinging euro versus sterling over the past few months, but that doesnt really explain the rise in products from Ireland (rashers, sausages etc)

Bear in mind that "Irish" rashers and sausages aren't necessarily from Ireland either.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

This really winds me up. I've also noticed prices creeping up slowly...

I've stopped shopping in Lidl because of this, their fruit & veg was always my main reason for shopping there and now their prices are a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coffeenut

bag of haribo jellies from vending machine gone from €2 to €2.50!! i get that inflation makes prices go up but a 25% increase on something that's already got a ridiculous mark up is just greedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Cans of soft drink up to 1.05 in some places .....

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Iceland prices except their milk are a ripoff when you look at the sterling price marked on them and the euro markup the shop charges - that's in Finglas but I dont know about the other ones. How can they justify the huge difference? I've no objection to a fair profit but that seems to me to be ridin the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You'll see "bargain" price cuts in and around xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

And on monday, all bread goes up 10%.

The price of wheat has gone up so it filters through to bread.

I say all bread, but, the email I got from Head Office mentions Brennans, Johnston Mooney and Pat the Baker. To me, thats all the bread suppliers.

FUNNY how all of them seem to be putting it up on the very same day....

Well, the price rise in bread, and all other wheat based products, including a lot of alcohol based products such as beer, has been muted since the end of the summer due to an international wheat shortage. Russia and China, the worlds top two grain exporters both suffered disastrous crops this year, Russia through a drought and China through massive floods so neither are exporting any grains due to shortages in their own countries.

Hence, the price rises in grain at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭diamondgirl

i shop in tesco every week & started to notice the prices jumping up a long time ago. A lot of people are saying the same.

Heres just a few:

J clothes used to be 69 cent now up to 1.19
    tin foil used to be .69 cent now up to 1.39 :eek:
    Moist toilet tissue used to be .60 now up to 1.09
    Butter used to be 1.79 now up to 1.99

Do they think us irish people are that stupid that we wont notice these price changes.
    Seems to me like they discount on one item & then put the differance onto something else. So we are not really getting any offers at all.

Its like supermarkets are all in it together, as i find the prices going up even in lidl & aldi too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Its not just here - food prices have been rising in UK for past 2 years. I dropped into Tesco Banbridge last Friday (was up there visiting family in ballycastle) and to be honest, there was feck all difference in prices even at friday's exchange rate of 1.16. No savings on beer / wines - thought I had a bargain with a bottle of Tattinger Champers on offer at £23.99, but then found it was on offer down here for €24.99. :(

No savings on tins, no savings on cereals or minerals and none of toiletries either. And some items were glaringly more expensive incl soya butter @ £1.40 v 99c here & toilet tissue about 20% more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Just home from Tesco and noticed many, many price increases (eg Head & Shoulders was 5.49 last time I bought it, 6.25 today for a 500ml bottle). I'll be checking Sainsbury's website tonight to see should I be planning to revisit the north for my shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I noticed the shopping bill has gone up by about 10% in the past month. Didn't hit us until this weekend, but judging by the comments here there seems to be a cartel operating in this country - no point expecting the Government to do anything about it of course -they'll be too busy fine dining with the CEOs of the grocery stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

maringo wrote: »
    Anyone noticed butter gone up in all the supermarkets and a lot of small increases from bacon to sausages etc? Are we supposed not to notice - just to look at the special offers and buy the rest of our shopping like blind mice?:mad:

Butter got a significant increase of 20 cent per lb last week. Watch out for increases in bread and chocolate and muller are pressing for a 10% increase across their range. The best advice is to try and base your shopping around the special offers which should limit your exposure to some of these increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Butter got a significant increase of 20 cent per lb last week. Watch out for increases in bread and chocolate and muller are pressing for a 10% increase across their range. The best advice is to try and base your shopping around the special offers which should limit your exposure to some of these increases.

Apart from the essentials I pretty much dictated what I bought yesterday by what was on special!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cadbury Roses tin was 975g last year. Now 850g including wrappers, no downward price change.
    I seem to recall it being 1.1kg at some point in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

snubbleste wrote: »
    Cadbury Roses tin was 975g last year. Now 850g including wrappers, no downward price change.
    Just remember the size of the tins is dictated by the larger stores like tescos sainsburys and also all the €2 stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I was a retailer I would put a sign up to explain the wheat price situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yep, I noticed the difference as soon as I picked one up.

More notable is the fact that the Tesco offers sheet (there's an onlie version linked here somewhere) gives the larger tin sizes as being on offer. Dirty tricks.

It is what it's.

Advertisement