Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Ucd catalogue

Options
  • 30-09-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I was instructed to read this for a history seminar, via the UCD catalogue online:

Julian Goodare, ‘ Women and the witch-hunt in Scotland’ in Social History, 23 (1998), online.

Where do I start?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The library?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

dynamot wrote: »
    I was instructed to read this for a history seminar, via the UCD catalogue online:

Julian Goodare, ‘ Women and the witch-hunt in Scotland’ in Social History, 23 (1998), online.

Where do I start?

Thanks in advance

www.jstor.org/

dynamot wrote: »

Where do I start?

Thanks in advance

What the hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Jesus how quickly people forget what it's like being new and unfamilair with a place.

OP in future make your way to the library, or you can search the catelogue online through the library section of ucd.ie. This is a journal article so it is available to download online, others may be in the library as are books etc...

You should see if the library are still doing tours - they show you all you need to know about searching for / finding books, journals, theses etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Jstor will be your holy grail for history journal articles for most areas of history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

thanks everyone, i got it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Jesus how quickly people forget what it's like being new and unfamilair with a place.

OP in future make your way to the library, or you can search the catelogue online through the library section of ucd.ie. This is a journal article so it is available to download online, others may be in the library as are books etc...

You should see if the library are still doing tours - they show you all you need to know about searching for / finding books, journals, theses etc....

+1 I'm sure everybody with the smart-alec remarks were all instant whizzes at all aspects of UCD in their first month of college too :rolleyes:

OP the advice to get help from librarians is always a good one (being one I know how awesome we are :D).

You should always start your search by identifying what is the primary item you are looking for. In this case, you are looking for the journal that the article was published in, Social History. You can tell since it is italicized. With most journals, you can find them by searching for them in the online catalogue. Often the results will lead to an electronic resource (like JSTOR). Other times, you will need to go and find the actual print version of it. It would be easier to explain all this in person, so get help in the library! Ask about any classes or tours that there are to help people use the library.

+1 I'm sure everybody with the smart-alec remarks were all instant whizzes at all aspects of UCD in their first month of college too :rolleyes:

Yes, actually, I was! :D

I didn't have boards to run to when I had a query about something, so I used to go to the relevant place on campus, whether it was the library, the SU, the relevant school/department, sports centre, etc.

And it wasn't actually a smart alec comment. The OP wanted to know how to find a journal online, and I suggested they go to the library. It's the most obvious place to go for a query like that. The staff there will show the student how to access J-Stor, whether from a library computer or from an off campus location. Much easier than having it explained here.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

Roro4Brit wrote: »

Or alternatively, make an appointment to see your subject librarian
    http://www.ucd.ie/library/subject_portals/hist_arch/index.html

as the tours can be quite general, and the subject librarians are well clued into the databases and electronic resources you need for your subject.

convert wrote: »

I didn't have boards to run to when I had a query about something, so I used to go to the relevant place on campus, whether it was the library, the SU, the relevant school/department, sports centre, etc.

And it wasn't actually a smart alec comment. The OP wanted to know how to find a journal online, and I suggested they go to the library. It's the most obvious place to go for a query like that. The staff there will show the student how to access J-Stor, whether from a library computer or from an off campus location. Much easier than having it explained here.

I was not debating the fact that the library is a better place to get help (read my post as I say the same thing). Your two word answer was what bugged me. It would not have been that hard to write a sentence saying that the library (specifically the information desk or subject librarians) are the best sources of help.

Believe me, the OPs question is far from the worst question I have heard from a first year.

• Advertisement

I was not debating the fact that the library is a better place to get help (read my post as I say the same thing). Your two word answer was what bugged me. It would not have been that hard to write a sentence saying that the library (specifically the information desk or subject librarians) are the best sources of help.

If someone has successfully made it to third level education, they should be more than capable of finding their way to the library and then the library information desk. They shouldn't need somebody to literally spell it out for them.

If someone has successfully made it to third level education, they should be more than capable of finding their way to the library and then the library information desk. They shouldn't need somebody to literally spell it out for them.

Due to the great use of online journals and libraries in secondary education in Ireland? Oh wait...maybe not. If you have never done something before, it is common enough to be a little disoriented. It is not that unusual for a 17/18 year old to have zero knowledge of what an academic library offers.

Not everybody arrives in university with the same knowledge and upbringing. That is the point of college, to actually learn these things. Not to get sneered at by people who already know.

Anyway, the OP has already said they know how to get the journal now.

Personally I would prefer to get a straight up answer anonymously than being told to talk to some person who may or may not help me.

Particularly when UCD has a policy of 'send the fool further'

The amount of times I have gone to a School office... told to go to Program Office... told to go to Admin... told by Admin to go to School office.... :mad::mad::mad:

Besides which online stuff doesn't have much to do with the physical library.

I personally didn't use jstor for ages and ages as I had no laptop or home internet connection. Both are essential in the long term though.

Note to spurious: the link was to publicly accessible content (preview page pending login)

Besides which online stuff doesn't have much to do with the physical library.

I agree with nearly everything you say except this bit. Librarians (note librarians not library assistants!) are there to organise the online catalogues and guide people in how to use them. Not all librarians are actually helpful but we are supposed to help people in how to use the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

I dont need somebody to spell it out for me and i dont appreciate your condescending attitude. The library is the obvious source of all relevant information but something i could not access at the time of my post. I needed that online extract for the next morning, hence the query. If you dont want to give any meaningful help then dont bother saying anything.

Advertisement