Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Science into Medicine.

Options
  • 30-09-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm aiming to do Biomedical Science as an undergraduate in Ireland or Britain. I'm in 6th year now. However, I won't have a careers class in school for a while, so I'm asking here.

Once (if) I graduate in Biomedical Science, is there any opportunity to take my degree and get into a course for Medicine? I've read some other places, but I've only found British forums. Apparently you can in Britain, but I'm unsure about it in Ireland.

Thanks in advance, I was going to put this in the graduate forum but I want to know whether to aim for Medicine right off the bat, or if it's possible to transfer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from LC

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Hi Bev,

You can enter graduate entry medicine (GEM) once you graduate with a 2.1 or higher and score well in the GAMSAT exam. GEM programmes are offered in RCSI, UCD, UL and UCC. They take 4 years to complete as opposed to the undergrad 5 year programmes, but the fees are quite high. Your BioMed degree will help you alot in the GAMSAT but it's still a tough exam. To qualify for a place you need to come in at least the top 20%, top ~7% if you want the more competitive schools.
    Once you reach a certain age you can also apply through the mature student route. I dont really know anything about this since I went for GEM, but I believe it's very competitive too.
    If you've looked into the UK then you probably know as much about it as me. Key points are that the selection criteria are broader and the fees are much more reasonable.
    The users here will probably be able to provide more accurate information than your careers department in school. From what I hear they're not really up to date on this route. Ask away if I've missed anything or somethings unclear.

Bio

Edit: By the way, your degree doesn't have to be in BioMed to avail of the GAMSAT route. It could be a BA in Paddywhackery for all they care, just as long as it's a 2.1 and you pass the GAMSAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Bev93 wrote: »
    Thanks in advance, I was going to put this in the graduate forum but I want to know whether to aim for Medicine right off the bat, or if it's possible to transfer.
    If you ultimately want to do Medicine, why not aim for it and put Biomed lower down your CAO? That way if you get Medicine well and good, if you don't then you can look at what you're suggesting now. Aiming for the scenic route when the direct route is still open to you would be an odd strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pamplemousse19

As mentioned already, you'll have to do the GAMSAT. I've heard though that once you're studying medicine you can skip some of the years of research if you have a degree in Biomed. This isn't true for other degrees such as general science (which is probably why the points went up so much in Biomed in some colleges this year for the students who didn't get medicine). If you decide to put medicine down first though I'd advise you to do an internet course for practice questions. The people that got the best results in the HPAT that I know did one of these. It's a big fault in the system because they say practice doesn't affect results but that's just not true!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I've heard though that once you're studying medicine you can skip some of the years of research if you have a degree in Biomed.

I've no idea what you mean by this. Maybe if you do a good bit of research during your BSc it'll stand to you during your career but there's no fast track other than GEM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Pamplemousse19

Biologic wrote: »
    I've no idea what you mean by this. Maybe if you do a good bit of research during your BSc it'll stand to you during your career but there's no fast track other than GEM
    A biology teacher in another school to mine organised a talk between my friend and a doctor who went through the Biomed route. He said it was shorter than if you did something like a general science degree and then medicine. It probably doesn't shorten the number of years in college for medicine but I think he was referring to the research that needs to be done when choosing a speciality. I'd advise Bev93 to check it out though and not take my word for it because I'm not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

A biology teacher in another school to mine organised a talk between my friend and a doctor who went through the Biomed route. He said it was shorter than if you did something like a general science degree and then medicine. It probably doesn't shorten the number of years in college for medicine but I think he was referring to the research that needs to be done when choosing a speciality. I'd advise Bev93 to check it out though and not take my word for it because I'm not sure!

Nah that sounds like tosh to me. Everyone is at the same level having graduated from medicine regardless of if they went through GEM or the undergraduate route.

Where having a BioMed degree will stand to you is in first year you are likely to be able to apply for excemptions for some of the modules. In my course its apparent the BioMeds are in the best position for this. However the idea is at a certain point everyone converges, so after semester one the difference between students is not apparent.

Also for the undergraduate route it is likely you will get the 5 year route to medicine rather than the 6 year route if you have a BioMed, but that said I'd say a general BSc will still qualify you for the 5 year route.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

Hi everyone,

Firstly, Bev 93, I have just graduated from Biomedical Science in UCC. I loved the course, it was a fantastic 5 years and the year in service training in each of the hospital labs was absolutley brilliant so I would definitely reccomend it.

However having only graduated with a 2.2 I am left with no other option but to apply through the mature entry route. My dad suffered a brain haemorrhage when I began my final year so i do feel this impacted negativley on my studies particularly during my research project which consisted of me spending 3 months writing it up at home. I am just wondering does anyone know what my chances of being accepted as a mature student are? I have tried and tried to get work experience in a clinical setting such as shadowing a GP and volunteering at nursing homes but to no avail. So at the moment the only experience i have is my 12 months spent working in the labs. i have just started with st vincent de paul so i am hoping against hope that they may have some contacts within a hospital.

Could someone please tell me if its worthwhile applying anf what are my chances of being shortlisted for interview?

Sorry if im hogging your post Bev 93, its just im really stressed out about this at the moment!

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Just to clarify the research issue, I think that individual may have been confusing things.

If you wish to do certain specialties eg surgery, cardiology, resp medicine (but usually not for GP, psychiatry and certain medical specialties), you will at some stage in your post grad training need to do research to get an MD or PHd (its almost compulsory).

Unfortunately, unless you did a degree in biomedical science and then did post grad research to an MD or PHd standard, then it would have no effect on the requirement to do research as a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

i did biomed and I'm now doing med

sit the gamsat in march of ur 3rd year and pay attention in 1st year chemistry and physics, take amazing notes with the aim to using them for gamsat revision down the line and make sure u understand every concept covered in class

you can do 3 years biomed + 3 years med in Saint Georges in London, thats the shortest route i Know of

Also UCDs biomed is different to the DIT and UCC/CIT biomed, make sure you understand this and pick which one suites best

Physio is also a great one for people that want med imo, they alot of time with patients in their undergrad, i never saw a patient in biomed

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Hi everyone,

I have tried and tried to get work experience in a clinical setting such as shadowing a GP and volunteering at nursing homes but to no avail. So at the moment the only experience i have is my 12 months spent working in the labs. i have just started with st vincent de paul so i am hoping against hope that they may have some contacts within a hospital.

Thanks in advance.

Try the Red Cross, its a solid organisation, perfect for a person in your situation, good fews docs, nurses, paramedics etc work with them, you might even get a reference letter from them if your lucky (you need to solid referees for the UK, aim to get one doc and one allied health or volunteer)

When I was considering the UK i contacted a hospice, they offered me a 12 month volunteer position, they are only interested in people who will stay 12 months so I'm presuming you might get trained up to some degree.

Everyone and his dog is trying to get into med now so your going to have to work your socks off to get a place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hi everyone,

Firstly, Bev 93, I have just graduated from Biomedical Science in UCC. I loved the course, it was a fantastic 5 years and the year in service training in each of the hospital labs was absolutley brilliant so I would definitely reccomend it.

However having only graduated with a 2.2 I am left with no other option but to apply through the mature entry route.
    Is there a mature entry route for medicine? Afaik, any older students in my year had to use their Leaving cert, do the HPAT and reapply through the CAO again..

Advertisement