Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escalator accident in Oranmore

Options
  • 30-09-2010 6:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

:eek::eek: A kid got his fingers caught in a escalator in july, nearly lost his fingers, it was on Joe Duffy show today......disgrace that the management didn't to care enough to clean off the blood or help the mother out with the owner info, and HSA are useless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This stuff is better left on Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You mean those escalators which always have little diagrams warning you to hold your children's hands on them? Oh noes, my precious snowflake got hurt because of my negligence, Joe Duffy and the Courts to the rescue rather than actual parenting!

The sad thing is that in a lot of cases, it was the parent's fault. I remember in an establishment I used to work in, a little girl was in the toilets unsupervised and, for some reason only known to her, she thought it would be a good idea to stick her hand into the hand dryer itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hope the child didn't suffer any permanent injuries.
    As I didn't hear it myself the HSA statement seems a little odd, but I assume it was the child's parent that rang Joe and not the management nor the HSA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

You mean those escalators which always have little diagrams warning you to hold your children's hands on them? Oh noes, my precious snowflake got hurt because of my negligence, Joe Duffy and the Courts to the rescue rather than actual parenting!

You seem a bit out of touch.....did you hear the interview, and I know quite a bit about escalators and the gap where the child got its fingers caught was excessive, so less with the bad parent shíte

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mallrats1.jpg
    That kid is on the escalator again!

Top marks to Joe for asking how big 4mm was today.

"It's about the same as 3 ten cent coins, Joe."

I can actually see all the curtain twitchers, the shut-ins, the cranks, the taxi drivers and the hysterical mothers of Ireland scrabbling around for change in order to gauge this distance.

By going on his show, you really have lost all credibility to any point you may have. It's the debating equivalent of shouting into an abandoned quarry and taking the hollow echoes as vindication.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

we had a claim come through recently (i work in an insurance company) - the same kind of thing and the parents were sueing the installer.
    Even though it was installed to specifications, we ended up paying out. I never understood that.
    A) correctly installed equipment
    B) Warning signs all over the place
    C) incompetent parent

Everyone doing their job well except the person sueing........

I guess the american claim culture has finally caught up to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Robbo wrote: »
    mallrats1.jpg
    That kid is on the escalator again!

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Wonder if the establishment could counter-sue for bad parenting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Everyone gives out about the nanny state, yet goes whinging to it when something happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What about the distress the escalator experienced?

Ever see Airplane with the show Counterpoint?

The kid was dumb enough to put his fingers in the escalator, I say let him lose them!

The parents are the only ones to blame. It sucks that its so much effort to always watch your kids but when you don't and something happens its your fault. Damn Beatnicks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Robbo wrote: »
    It's the debating equivalent of shouting into an abandoned quarry and taking the hollow echoes as vindication.
    That is fúcking brilliant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Everyone gives out about the nanny state, yet goes whinging to it when something happens.

+ 1. Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Doom wrote: »
    You seem a bit out of touch.....did you hear the interview, and I know quite a bit about escalators and the gap where the child got its fingers caught was excessive, so less with the bad parent shíte

3mm excessive? A bad parent is someone who doesn't hold their child's hand if they're small enough not to know better than poking their fingers in gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

At least the child learned a valuable lesson. Don't stick your hand in a massive machine that weighs a few tones and is nothing but moving metal slicing up against more moving metal.
    I find that hard to believe. A machine like this probably wouldn't leave the factory if the gap was so high, there built top standards since they'll be used by the public. I'm not saying it couldn't happen it just seems highly highly unlikely due to modern manufacturing processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

We don't know if the escalator is defective because there is no legal obligation to test them. There would also appear to be no obligation on the management of a building to say who is responsible for it.

If this had happened to an employee there would be a proper investigation. If there is a minimum gap & this escalator exceeds it then someone is negligent & other people could be at risk.

Any shopper should expect that the building & facilities are up to the correct standard & every building open to the public should have a notice showing who is responsible.

ScumLord wrote: »
    At least the child learned a valuable lesson. Don't stick your hand in a massive machine that weighs a few tones and is nothing but moving metal slicing up against more moving metal.

A post worthy of your screen name. I hope that you are not a parent.

3mm excessive? A bad parent is someone who doesn't hold their child's hand if they're small enough not to know better than poking their fingers in gaps.

dope...the gap was 11mm, which is excessive and the child was on the way down and just swung its hand back and been small, managed to accidently catch its fingers on the step behind, escalators are a non-staturtory for inspections, but should be serviced and inspected as a duty of care...and if the owner of the shopping centre didn't have this done they should be liable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

dope...the gap was 11mm, which is excessive and the child was on the way down and just swung its hand back and been small, managed to accidently catch its fingers on the step behind, escalators are a non-staturtory for inspections, but should be serviced and inspected as a duty of care...and if the owner of the shopping centre didn't have this done they should be liable

Don't think they like calling people names in here. What's your angle? Why are you so passionate about it?

Is there CCTV of the kid swinging his hand back by chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

How do you know this information?

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Don't think they like calling people names in here. What's your angle? Why are you so passionate about it?

Is there CCTV of the kid swinging his hand back by chance?

I have a lot of experience of these machines and other similar types, so I know what is safe/ unsafe....and i listened to the interview...from some comments here it looks like a lot of you didn't.

Whats your angle, I don't see any relevant points to your comment?

Any of us could listen back to the Liveline interview but I think that the Mother did get an engineer to check the gap. The big issue was that there was no information as to who is responsible for the escalator. Everyone had denied knowing who owned the Centre which sounds like plain obstruction.

We all use industrial equipment when we shop, park, work etc. We have a right to expect that this equipment is as safe as is reasonably possible. For example we have all seen the increase in the number of remote controlled gates. Two children were killed in the same week in separate incidents by these gates which should have fail-safe mechanisms.

At work our employer is liable & equipment is routinely tested whereas we appear to have little protection in our leisure time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

domrush wrote: »
    How do you know this information?

the woman on the show had an engineer check out the gap. he measured 11mm and the best practise gap should be 3 to 5mm combined both sides according to her engineer.

the child actually got his hand caught in the step behind him, he didnt do a "oohh look at the shiny light" and proceede to shove his hand towards the gap.

the child was more than likely swinging his hands around the place now tell me how is this the mothers fault? as to be honest what happened would be the last thing I would considering happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Discodog wrote: »
    Any of us could listen back to the Liveline interview but I think that the Mother did get an engineer to check the gap. The big issue was that there was no information as to who is responsible for the escalator.
    Well then it sounds like it's on whoever's name is on the shopping centres deed. Unless they can show they had a maintenance schedule and the engineers doing the maintenance failed in their duty. I don't think it could be the manufacturers fault as they would recommend a maintenance schedule to find problems like this, that is unless the manufacturer was supposed to be doing the check ups which is possible and could mean every escalator they've fitted is just as bad.

So it's the shopping centres fault unless they can show they did everything in their power to avert an accident like this happening. That would be my take on it.

I agree but it seems so odd that a shopping centre hearing itself on Liveline wouldn't want to be seen to be acting in the interests of shoppers. If I were the mother I would get a solicitor on a no win no fee basis. There should be clear notices, like the name over a pub door, to advice anyone as to who is responsible.

Liveline will of got their researchers to try & find a representative from the Centre. It looks like a classic case of hide & hope it all goes away which could backfire badly if it goes to Court.

Advertisement