Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happened to Sinners before Jesus?

• 30-09-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Purely from a philosophical standpoint - What happened to sinners before Jesus, given that his purpose was to die on the cross so that sins could be forgiven - and that only those who accepted him as the saviour would have a path to heaven.

So prior to Jesus, what happened to sinners? I ask because humans have been on earth for 50,000 years from a physical & behavioural standpoint. Are they also saved, or damned to eternity in hell?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dlofnep wrote: »
    Purely from a philosophical standpoint - What happened to sinners before Jesus, given that his purpose was to die on the cross so that sins could be forgiven - and that only those who accepted him as the saviour would have a path to heaven.

So prior to Jesus, what happened to sinners? I ask because humans have been on earth for 50,000 years from a physical & behavioural standpoint. Are they also saved, or damned to eternity in hell?

They are judged according to the Law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Seaneh wrote: »

Could you expand a bit please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Wasn't it all 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth' back then ? I think God mellowed out after he had a son. That or he invented weed around then. We'll never know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Seaneh wrote: »

Wow,Judge dredd took care of business before jesus showed up.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

We know that sinners such as Abraham were saved because they placed their faith in God's promise that He would send a Saviour.

Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith. (Galatians 3:6-9)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

PDN wrote: »
    We know that sinners such as Abraham were saved because they placed their faith in God's promise that He would send a Saviour.

Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith. (Galatians 3:6-9)

What about any man before Abraham? are they damned because God did not announce the gospel in advance to them instead?

Maguined wrote: »
    What about any man before Abraham? are they damned because God did not announce the gospel in advance to them instead?

The Gospel was announced well before Abraham - right at the beginning in fact. Genesis 3:15 is referred to by theologians as the protoevangelium (or the first declaration of the Gospel).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

This is one of things that confuses me about christianity. All those people who didn't live in the middle east and get to hear about "god". they're all presumably in "hell" now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

bad2dabone wrote: »
    This is one of things that confuses me about christianity. All those people who didn't live in the middle east and get to hear about "god". they're all presumably in "hell" now.

I don't see anything preventing God reaching to any point on the globe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

The Gospel was announced well before Abraham - right at the beginning in fact. Genesis 3:15 is referred to by theologians as the protoevangelium (or the first declaration of the Gospel).

I wonder whether Adam and/or Eve were saved..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Did you not read PDN's post :confused:

Did you not read PDN's post :confused:

which one Fanny? about protoevangellum?
    perhaps I just didn't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Thanks PDN.

I'm sorry you feel you have to condemn others to hell like that. That certainly isn't my position.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

The person had to bring a sacrifice (lamb or bull) to the high priest who would then sacrifice it and God would be satisfied. Then Jesus came along and became the ultimate sacrifice, so that we did not have to go through the trouble of sacrifices

I'm sorry you feel you have to condemn others to hell like that. That certainly isn't my position.

that's not my position either PDN. It's an assumption I've made, presumably in error.
    (Besides I can't really condemn anyone to somewhere I don't believe in)

I'd just like to know what's Christianity's take on it.
    I think you've explained it in a prior post, however I didn't fully understand it and remain confused as to the spiritual fate of those who lived before humans became aware of gods existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

I may be wrong but it appears that the question presumes Christ did not exist until He was born and that the timeline is fixed - so why then did Christ decend to the place of the dead when He died?

My take is that when He died He went to the dead and released those that warrented it to Heaven and the rest remained in Purgatory\Hades.

fair enough. Thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Just to add to PDN's good post:
    Christ's sacrifice covered all who died with faith in God, from the beginning to the coming End. Sinners who died before Christ's sacrifice were divided as today - saved sinners and lost sinners. Those who died lost went to Hades and are held there for the day of Judgement. Those who died saved went to Abraham's Bosom (Paradise) and it was moved into the immediate presence of God when Christ rose from the dead and brought them there.

BTW, the Bible gives no warrant to believe mankind has existed for much over 6000 years.
    Luke 23:42 Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”
    43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement