Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jodie Marsh as apprentice tattooist?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Have you seen that new TV show on at the moment that’s filming Jodie Marsh’s training to become a tattooist. I don’t know much about what it takes to become a tattoo artist but she cant even draw. Surely the most basic thing someone needs to know how to do is draw right? Basically she drew a couple of sketches, did one practice on fake skin, one self tattoo and then hey-hoo she was off to tattoo on people?!? Please tell me there’s more to the training than that!!

****Please note I don’t normally watch reality show $hite but I was interested to see what goes into becoming a tattooist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Hey, sorry to burst your bubble on this, but that show will have as little to do with how a tattoo apprenticeship works as the Various Inks have to do with how an actual tattoo shop works. I.E, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I mean, for starters, who would pick an apprentice out of all the people who would like to be one - if they CANNOT DRAW? What does that tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Hey, sorry to burst your bubble on this, but that show will have as little to do with how a tattoo apprenticeship works as the Various Inks have to do with how an actual tattoo shop works. I.E, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I mean, for starters, who would pick an apprentice out of all the people who would like to be one - if they CANNOT DRAW? What does that tell you?

Eh yeah, I think that was the point I was trying to make! :rolleyes: She cant draw, so what the fcuk!
    Nevermind...I was just curious to hear how that bull$hit compared to real life training.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't think there is an apprenticeship as such. A guy I worked with about 2 years back, drew up a sketch for a tattoo he wanted done on himself, went in to one of the well known shops in Dublin and the artist basically asked him would he like to work there because they were short staffed! This guy had absolutely no tattoo experience of any sort. Now, they did say he would have to be trained before he could start working on people, but also that it would only take a week or two.
    Scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I don't think there is an apprenticeship as such. A guy I worked with about 2 years back, drew up a sketch for a tattoo he wanted done on himself, went in to one of the well known shops in Dublin and the artist basically asked him would he like to work there because they were short staffed! This guy had absolutely no tattoo experience of any sort. Now, they did say he would have to be trained before he could start working on people, but also that it would only take a week or two.
    Scary stuff!
    Aint urban myth wonderful. Yes there are people out there who have picked up a machine and insid 6 months they were tattooing. But if they're not called Bob Tyrell then we call them scratchers. Any decent artist, and I'm sure Bodiceripper will back me on this, will have spent some considerable time watching, asking, practicing and perfecting before they started to work on paying customers and even then only on basic pieces and under supervision. A formal apprenticeship, no it doesn't exist, but a 2 week how to..... it may exist but it doesn't produce a Tattoo Artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

my clueless neighbour has become a tattooist (of the lowest order) after buying his 'my first tattoo kit' on e-bay !! yet more chavy artless tattoos on the body of people without the money to pay a true artist :( i'm not into tattoos but i would think a talent of drawing must be the starting point .i wonder how would someone stand legally if they got an infection or worse from someone without a clue and a needle ?

i call my neighbour a twattooist.jodie marsh just needs to be on tv no matter what it takes,she looks more of a mess than ever now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

morcheen k wrote: »
    my clueless neighbour has become a tattooist (of the lowest order) after buying his 'my first tattoo kit' on e-bay !! yet more chavy artless tattoos on the body of people without the money to pay a true artist :( i'm not into tattoos but i would think a talent of drawing must be the starting point .i wonder how would someone stand legally if they got an infection or worse from someone without a clue and a needle ?

i call my neighbour a twattooist.jodie marsh just needs to be on tv no matter what it takes,she looks more of a mess than ever now :eek:

I've heard that there's no real governing body for health and safety regarding tattoo artists in Ireland, I hope that's just a scare story!

Its just some more car crash television with a woman who is the epitome of what a car crash is..

LisaLee wrote: »
    I've heard that there's no real governing body for health and safety regarding tattoo artists in Ireland, I hope that's just a scare story!

Nope. that's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

here in the states you HAVE to have a year long apprenticeship before you can tattoo on anyone other than yourself or your boss (if they let you) and i believe you have to have some sort of health certification... like a short class on blood born pathogens and the importance of sterilization. now it isn't necessary but there are tattoo schools that may give you a leg up.

not only all that but it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get an apprenticeship over here! the tattooists are very picky and will only hire AMAZING artists (unless you want a job at a flea market)

I'm sorry, that simply isn't true.

Firstly, that isn't really the way laws like that work in the US, it would be by a state by state basis. A quick google search revealed that in Arkansas the requirement is 6 months apprenticeship.

Furthermore, loads of well-known tattoo artists work in the US who have openly and repeatedly said they are self taught.

And on the apprenticeship thing, its tough to get one anywhere. The standard of tattooing coming from the united states is fairly comparable to that from europe, on the whole.

That said, regulation of the industry here would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Yeah it's easy to call yourself a tattoo artist over here, but you have to find someone who trusts you enough/is stupid enough to let you do it on them =P I've a friend who's building a portfolio of tattoos atm to show potential employers 1st, he's really good :) He did the date in my tattoo, but I wouldn't let him do any more on me tbh =P He's done 4 or 5 tattoos on his gf though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

I'm sorry, that simply isn't true.

Firstly, that isn't really the way laws like that work in the US, it would be by a state by state basis. A quick google search revealed that in Arkansas the requirement is 6 months apprenticeship.

Furthermore, loads of well-known tattoo artists work in the US who have openly and repeatedly said they are self taught.

And on the apprenticeship thing, its tough to get one anywhere. The standard of tattooing coming from the united states is fairly comparable to that from europe, on the whole.

That said, regulation of the industry here would be great.
    well i was just going by what every tattooist i know has told me.. for a short time i was interested in becoming a tattoo artist and hung out in a few of the local shops. so i just know what actual tattooist say

It may well be true of Florida.

I am an actual tattooist. Everyone, regardless of where they live and the local regulations, should chose their artist based on (in no particular order)

a) their portfolio

b) ask about the hygeine practices. If you are concerned, ask to see the autoclave. (although some people work exclusively with disposables.

c) talk to the artist in person. I know sometimes this can be easier said than done, but investing the time in going back more than once if required is priceless.

Although, again, this would be even better if coupled with regulation.

amyputz wrote: »
    Yeah it's easy to call yourself a tattoo artist over here, but you have to find someone who trusts you enough/is stupid enough to let you do it on them =P I've a friend who's building a portfolio of tattoos atm to show potential employers 1st, he's really good :) He did the date in my tattoo, but I wouldn't let him do any more on me tbh =P He's done 4 or 5 tattoos on his gf though...

Your friend might want to consider that a lot of tattooist would be put off a potential apprentice by previous gaff-based tattooing.

Aint urban myth wonderful. .

Not an urban myth, it's a true story. There are chancers in every walk of life, tattoo artists are not some saintly exception. Take a look around you, there are any number of crappy, botch job tattoos being done, who do you think is doing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Not an urban myth, it's a true story. There are chancers in every walk of life, tattoo artists are not some saintly exception. Take a look around you, there are any number of crappy, botch job tattoos being done, who do you think is doing them?

If it was as you said "one of the well known shops in Dublin", then it'd have to be one of those that are well known for all the wrong reasons. Studios tend to have very talented artists looking for apprenticeships all the time, to just take someone walking in off the street out of nowhere and tell them they'll be tattooing in two weeks stretches credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Your friend might want to consider that a lot of tattooist would be put off a potential apprentice by previous gaff-based tattooing.

Huh..he said someone didn't wanna employ him till he got enough exp himself, I don't know him very well he's more a friend of a friend, I'm sure he's thought it all out himself lol

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I realise that there are some serious chancers calling themselves tattoo artists, we get to cover up their crap at least 2 or 3 times a week. I certainly don't think the industry is saintly. I've been involved in it for too long to still wear rose tinted specs, (first tattoo, Johnny Eagle, 26 years ago) But I don't know of any studio that would put someone to work on paying customers after 2 weeks. If it's true and you know them, then I stand corrected, but even some of the worst studios (read bedrooms, kitchens etc.) I've encountered still spent around 6 months minimum training their apprentices(only way for them to get free labour).

All I can say is that's the story as it was relayed to me. I knew the guy quite well at the time, he wasn't a waffler, neither am I. He told me, I believed him. Everyone else can choose to believe it or not as they see fit themselves, doesn't really matter to me.
    Regardless of the truth or otherwise of this particular story, i think the lesson to be learned is to research any "artist" before allowing them to tattoo you. Or at least go with one that was recommended by someone you know and trust!

Advertisement