Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using wireless router with Smart broadband

Options
  • 30-09-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

excuse my complete ignorance but I'm completely clueless when it comes to this... i have internet with smart telecom (thanks to the lovely developers of my apartment complex) and am trying to use a wireless router with it in order to get rid of all the eth cables going from room to room.

anyway, installed the router on the main pc, connected everything up, followed instructions etc but it wouldn't work. am i being daft in thinking that the router would work if i knew what i was doing or am i flogging a dead horse in thinking that my smart modem and cisco router will work happily together...?

tried calling smart customer care but i don't have the hours to spare on hold waiting for my turn to speak to their helpdesk so gave up before i could speak to someone :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,153 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

coffeenut wrote: »

tried calling smart customer care but i don't have the hours to spare on hold waiting for my turn to speak to their helpdesk so gave up before i could speak to someone :rolleyes:

They should probably be your first port of call. Is the smart router not already wireless and you don't need the cisco router as you already have a wireless router?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coffeenut

the smart modem isn't wireless, have it about 3 years. it's got sockets on the back to take 4 cables so can't even have pc, laptop, phone and ipod connected at once without unplugging the roomie! :D

i know i should call customer service but they're so clueless when you ring them about anything else and you can visibly age while on hold. really just want to know if it's worth my while calling them to help me set it up or if i'd be wasting my time...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

So could you clarify if you have your bb integrated as part of the apartment complex or over the phone line. Either way you should be able to used a wireless router.

Have you tried the smart forums? http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

I had smart and a modem with a wireless router so it is possible. It's probably just a simple configuration problem with the wireless router.

How have you the two connected?
    Try this:
    Connect pc to modem and connect modem to wireless router LAN port.
    Login to ur router and disable dhcp server.
    Make sure ur router ip address is outside the dhcp range of ur modem.
    Make sure wireless is enabled in the router.
    Set a channel and ssid etc.

Reboot both modem and router

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coffeenut

dub45 wrote: »
    So could you clarify if you have your bb integrated as part of the apartment complex or over the phone line. Either way you should be able to used a wireless router.

Have you tried the smart forums? http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

didn't know they had any, will give it a go - thanks a mil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

They should probably be your first port of call.

No ISP will provide support for a router that they didn't provide. ;)

Advertisement