Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More sad news

• 30-09-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Never good to see.

Link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

There was a thread here a while back about no fatal accidents this year, is it still at 0?

I'm glad to read 'serious leg injuries' rather than serious/critical condition, not that that's any consolation to the victim. She is relatively lucky, Liffey quays + articulated trucks is never good.

Hopefully she will make a full recovery

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Danbo! wrote: »
    There was a thread here a while back about no fatal accidents this year, is it still at 0?
    3 according to Garda website

Original thread here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

A child was hit by a Dublin Bus at White's Cross last week: http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6061&Lang=1

I heard later that there were two cyclists knocked down around there that morning, and one had died, resulting in balloons/bouquets attached to railings, but didn't see this myself, and haven't heard confirmation of the fatality, or whether it was the 11 year old.

I don't know how the above child was equipped, and I know there's not much that you can do to protect yourself against a bus, but it never ceases to amaze me when I see schoolkids being allowed cycle to school without helmets when we all know how dangerous the roads are - especially with the cycling naivety of a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

p15574 wrote: »
    I don't know how the above child was equipped, and I know there's not much that you can do to protect yourself against a bus, but it never ceases to amaze me when I see schoolkids being allowed cycle to school without helmets when we all know how dangerous the roads are - especially with the cycling naivety of a child.

I know it's Friday, but do you really have to turn a personal tragedy into a helmet debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

Lumen wrote: »
    I know it's Friday, but do you really have to turn a personal tragedy into a helmet debate?

I don't know if you have children, but I do, and hearing of other children being injured on bikes instantly makes me wonder if they were wearing them or not, having seen kids cycling on dangerous roads without them 19 times out of 20. I'm not trying to start or rekindle a debate on helmet wearing by adults - I think Darwinism takes care of that, but as a parent I think I have a responsibility to try and ensure my own children make it through to adulthood. I just know from personal experience that it can save a life, and I dread to think my own children could be knocked off a bike without a helmet on, no matter how light a collision. If incidents like the above do not instigate other people to consider safety, then we will have learnt nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

p15574 wrote: »
    I don't know if you have children, but I do, and hearing of other children being injured on bikes instantly makes me wonder if they were wearing them or not, having seen kids cycling on dangerous roads without them 19 times out of 20. I'm not trying to start or rekindle a debate on helmet wearing by adults - I think Darwinism takes care of that, but as a parent I think I have a responsibility to try and ensure my own children make it through to adulthood. I just know from personal experience that it can save a life, and I dread to think my own children could be knocked off a bike without a helmet on, no matter how light a collision. If incidents like the above do not instigate other people to consider safety, then we will have learnt nothing.
    He does, I do, this is not a helmet thread - we've had enough of them in recent times (do a search if you want to work your way through them)

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I was behind an accident with a car a while back in the suburbs. Jumped off once I saw it and initially it did not look (thought it was back or neck) but thankfully she was fine after getting checked out in hospital.
    As it happened she did have a helmet on and it took some impact as the ambulance guys showed me how it split afterwards.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As we discovered on a thread earlier in the year, November is statistically the worst month for cyclists injuries and fatalities - clocks go back, it's gotten dark in the mornings and evenings and people are generally less aware.

It stands to reason that October is also more dangerous for the exact same reasons, so keep it in mind this month and be careful out there.

Topically, I had my second car collision last night (it's always on a Thursday evening), when a young woman turned left across me. She did the usual 'slow down - indicate - turn' manouver, probably giving me half a second between slowing/indicating and starting turning her car. That gave me *just* enough time to jam on and turn myself parallel with the car and bounce off it with my fleshy parts at less than 10km/h.
    She put her head in her hands as if she'd just killed me and frankly admitted to not looking in her mirror, apologising profusely. So I laughed, told her there was no harm done and went on my way. Going by the look on her face, I reckon she won't be forgetting to check her mirrors for while.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

did you not call the cops..!!! get her sent down..?? phone Joe Duffy...!!! :p

Good man Seamus..! like you say..lesson learned....nobody hurt and hopefully she won't do it agian....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Moved facepalming competition to Broomwagon, lets keep on track.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Moved facepalming competition to Broomwagon, lets keep on track.

Which track is that, accidents on dublin roads, or a helmet debate?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Which track is that, accidents on dublin roads, or a helmet debate?

Move back six posts to no. 7

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Move back six posts to no. 7

In that case, shouldn't the helmet posts be moved too? They are equally off topic

In that case, shouldn't the helmet posts be moved too? They are equally off topic
    No - the facepalm stuff can continue in the Broomwagon - moving the helmet comments would encourage another debate on them which is what my post above is seeking to prevent

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

I see the cyclist in the original post was struck by an articulated lorry. From the garda press release, the accident occurred at the junction of Winetavern Street and Wood Quay. I'm not sure if articulated trucks would be coming down Winetavern St at that time of the morning but it's a possibility that the lorry was turning left at the time and she was on the inside.

This is the most common cause of cyclist deaths and all/most of us in this forum are well aware of the serious danger presented by large vehicles turning left. However, I think it would be useful if the Road Safety Authority more publicly highlighted the dangers for the more casual cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

kenco wrote: »
    As it happened she did have a helmet on and it took some impact as the ambulance guys showed me how it split afterwards.....

They are designed to absorb the impact by breaking, so even a relatively small impact can break a bike helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Helmet or no helmet i hope a full recovery is made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

cartman_retard2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 onwards

I saw the accident with the female cyclist on Thursday morning. I was on the 26 bus from the city centre going to Palmerstown, and we were stopped at red traffic lights on Wood Quay in the bus lane. Both the cyclist and the truck were coming from Winetavern St and travelling straight on to go over O'Donovan Rossa Bridge.

As far as I could see, the cyclist was tight to the kerb on the left and the truck didn't give her enough clearance, and hit her. She got dragged under, hence the leg injuries, and the truck kept going. What a ****er. There's no way the driver couldn't have noticed. Thankfully, about 4 or 5 people came to her aid straight away.

There were no logos or any distinguishing features on the truck, as it was one of those that had the silver metallic girder design on the trailer.

I really hope that girl makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I had the strangest narrow escape the other day, cycling back from the shops I had maybe 15kg in my rear pannier bags and was coming into my estate. A bit up the street were two ladies and an old dog all walking in a predictable straight line, yep you guessed it (or maybe not) the dog suddenly jumped out into my line. I whacked on the brakes, no point swerving as I was only going about 20kph and anyway I didnt know which way to serve as the dog didn't even know which way it was going.
    Only trouble was that I only had one hand free (I've been trying to remember why, prob picking my nose or texting:P) so ended up putting on full front brakes resulting in the rear wheel lifting off the ground. I was sure I was going over the bar but the weight in the back was just enough to keep the wheel about one foot in the air without rising any more.
    This resulted in quite a dramatic front wheel skid (wheelie), I let go the brakes as soon as the dog picked a lane and landed softy, back on two wheels I stifled my curses (small estate, no need to anger people) and enjoyed the 'oh my god, how did he do that!!!' comments as I cycled off.

Avoided a face plant/ avoided a loaded bike landing on me after said face plant/ pulled of a one handed skid stop and wheelie/ didn't feck the neighbours dog out of it/ didnt break the eggs... all in one go.
    happy ending there for me, moral of the story.... no idea, panniers are a safety feature akin to air bags? never trust dogs? always have two hands free? even estate cycling can be exciting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

onwards wrote: »
    Both the cyclist and the truck were coming from Winetavern St and travelling straight on to go over O'Donovan Rossa Bridge.

That's my route home, and vehicles failing to give enough space is a frequent problem - all the way down from Christchurch, where the cycle lane along the way is regularly obstructed despite motorists having plenty of room in their own lane.

It's also one of those intersections where a lot of the cars are turning left and a cyclist in the lane can easily be squeezed. I also once had a car cut me off while turning left not from the lane immediately next to me, but the one to the right of that :eek:

I'm not surprised this happened there. I've thought a million times the intersection was an accident waiting to happen.

Best wishes to her, and as for that driver, :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

bad news indeed, i myself find cycling along the quays and around the ifsc/liberty hall area quite ropey, you need to be extra vigilant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

onwards wrote: »
    She got dragged under, hence the leg injuries, and the truck kept going. What a ****er. There's no way the driver couldn't have noticed.
    Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Best wishes to her, and as for that driver, :mad:

+1 on the best wishes...

I'd have to say though that it's quite possible that the driver did not notice. The cab of such a truck is well suspended and the trailer wheels (I presume that's what went over her legs) are way back and regularly bounce on potholes and such. The driver may well not have felt anything and, unless he looked in the mirrors may have been quite unaware of what happened.

Doesn't excuse the not leaving enough room though.

Advertisement