Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th Subject???

• 30-09-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello I just joined this hoping to get some good advice!
    I'm in 5th year. I'm doing 7 Higher level subjects for my Leaving Cert: Maths, Irish, English, German, History, Economics and Business. I'm thinking of doing an 8th subject: Higher Level Accounting- I'll be thought by an accountant. I'm not sure if i could handle it, i also have a part time job! Any advice???
    Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

All that stuff at higher level is difficult enough man. I do history and the amount of work in that alone is horrid. It really comes down to your ability, and that accountants ability to teach you how to answer the LC questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

I'm doing 6 higher level subjects in school but I'm doing economics outside!I find it grand anyway but economics is a short course so maybe that's why and the fact I'm doing 6 instead of 7 higher level subjects! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ConfusedCat

marko93 wrote: »
    All that stuff at higher level is difficult enough man. I do history and the amount of work in that alone is horrid. It really comes down to your ability, and that accountants ability to teach you how to answer the LC questions.
    Thank you for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

8 higher level is a lot of work . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Why are you taking it up?
    -Because you can
    or
    -Because you need the points

If it's because you can then don't bother! If it's because you need the points (maybe you aren't confident in some of your other subjects?) then go ahead. Start right now though and I would suggest getting grinds from a teacher, unless the accountant is a relative and is doing it for free.. ;) If that's the case then don't bother with grinds until after the mocks (to brush up and for exam technique).

I'm doing Applied Maths as an extra subject, originally because I'm not great at French and Irish but I'm now considering dropping History (my teacher is crap and hates me.. Everyone agrees with me!)

• Advertisement

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Why are you taking it up?
    -Because you can
    or
    -Because you need the points

If it's because you can then don't bother! If it's because you need the points (maybe you aren't confident in some of your other subjects?) then go ahead. Start right now though and I would suggest getting grinds from a teacher, unless the accountant is a relative and is doing it for free.. ;) If that's the case then don't bother with grinds until after the mocks (to brush up and for exam technique).

I'm doing Applied Maths as an extra subject, originally because I'm not great at French and Irish but I'm now considering dropping History (my teacher is crap and hates me.. Everyone agrees with me!)
    I need the points, well i need 500 points so i need very high grades and I really hate history and like you my teacher hates me and is totally useless! em I have 2 relatives who are accountants so they'll be helping me with it! :) I'm still really unsure about it all, I dont want to be stretched too thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

I'm still really unsure about it all, I dont want to be stretched too thin.

I started 5th year planning on doing Economics and Applied Maths as 2 extra subjects.. Economics lasted 3 weeks (:P) and I did a half assed attempt at Applied Maths for the year (the guy I went to was crap). I am going to another guy this year who is amazing and I'm hoping for an A1 (Maths//Physics are my strong points).

My advice? Don't think there's plenty of time to catch up in it, missing a week here and there will make a difference. Try and go to your relative twice a week for an hour and put in an hour yourself aswell.

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    I started 5th year planning on doing Economics and Applied Maths as 2 extra subjects.. Economics lasted 3 weeks (:P) and I did a half assed attempt at Applied Maths for the year (the guy I went to was crap). I am going to another guy this year who is amazing and I'm hoping for an A1 (Maths//Physics are my strong points).

My advice? Don't think there's plenty of time to catch up in it, missing a week here and there will make a difference. Try and go to your relative twice a week for an hour and put in an hour yourself aswell.
    ok thank you :) I really appreciate this :) you've really helped me :)
    oh and good luck with applied maths i hope you get your a1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Clearl

I'm doing an eighth subject and it's all good. Your teachers will hate you for it, but go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

theres no really need to do 8 hl subjects. its jst more work and it will end up taking from your other subjects. I'd advise against it. It gives you more time to concentrate on the other 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Would you maybe consider dropping one of the others to ordinary level.

I did 8 subjects for LC, applied maths extra, but I dropped Irish to ordinary and basically did no work in it, so was as if I was only doing 7 as I knew i could get better points with other subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pateen

dont mean to steal your thunder but what does anybody reckon on doin 9 subjects for LC although 3 of them are pass and 2 are ag. sci and lcvp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I need the points, well i need 500 points so i need very high grades and I really hate history and like you my teacher hates me and is totally useless! em I have 2 relatives who are accountants so they'll be helping me with it! :) I'm still really unsure about it all, I dont want to be stretched too thin.
    Is there any chance you could drop history and do accounting instead if you hate history? Think of it in terms of points...if you think realistically you're going to do better in accounting I'd say take that instead, if its possible. History, Economics and Business are a lot of learning off (from what I've heard, didn't do any of them) whereas accounting is more practical, so you might prefer to mix it up between the different types of studying, especially if you think you'd prefer accounting.
    pateen wrote: »
    dont mean to steal your thunder but what does anybody reckon on doin 9 subjects for LC although 3 of them are pass and 2 are ag. sci and lcvp?

What sort of points would you be going for? If you needed high points, doing 5 honours subjects is kinda necessary. If you think your pass subjects, and LCVP, require a small amount of work, and you think you can handle doing that amount, I'd say go for it. If your pass ones aren't Eng/Irish/Maths/language its not really doing it tbh, neither is LCVP but thats just my opinion :P

Is there any chance you could drop history and do accounting instead if you hate history? Think of it in terms of points...if you think realistically you're going to do better in accounting I'd say take that instead, if its possible. History, Economics and Business are a lot of learning off (from what I've heard, didn't do any of them) whereas accounting is more practical, so you might prefer to mix it up between the different types of studying, especially if you think you'd prefer accounting.
    I tried switching history but the only other class available is art and I didnt do that for junior! thank you for your advice :) I really appreciate this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

pateen wrote: »

Depends which 3 are pass, but that shouldnt be too difficult, because you have only 5 regular HL subjects . . .dont diss ag scince though, theres a fair bit to be covered in it!!!

Advertisement