Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband option - Dublin 6

• 30-09-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I am Clearwire user and 've got letter asking for changing into WiMax so I wonder if there is any other option in the are. I presume just 3G mobile (O2,Three,Meteor,Voda) but maybe anything else? I have (and wouldn't have Eircom line)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

zom wrote: »
    I am Clearwire user and 've got letter asking for changing into WiMax so I wonder if there is any other option in the are. I presume just 3G mobile (O2,Three,Meteor,Voda) but maybe anything else? I have (and wouldn't have Eircom line)

UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 szines

Definitely UPC. The best choice in Ireland.

They promised 15 gb and I got always 15 gb in Rathgar Road with no cap. I have just moved from there to Drogheda, and they can't move to here upc broadband. I don't need to pay any cancellation fee, because they said, they don't provide here any broadband.

Excellent service, excellent price.

I hope, they come to Drogheda soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm told UPC have no plans for new cable builds, but I would wonder if they would have an eye on building some sort of triple-play network in the two largest towns in Ireland. It's a very expensive undertaking from scratch and a place like Drogheda which wouldn't be used to the idea of cable taps being mounted near gutters would mean they'd have to deal with a lot of objections to wayleaves for cable laying. So I doubt it'll ever happen in these recessionary times.

The MMDS (wireless cable) service is being called into question as licences are due for renewal in the next couple of years, Analogue TV switchoff will be taking place too and UPC will have finished rebuilding their existing cable network by 2012/early 2013 I think. It may come up on UPC's agenda by then. There is no functional cable network in Louth currently.

Advertisement