Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Scam ringing 045 numbers!!

Options
  • 30-09-2010 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Looks like this Microsoft Support scam is now calling 045 numbers: They asked to speak to Mr. or Mrs. **** and went through rehearsed story, even got my sister to go to an infected webpage and tried to convince her to buy Anti-virus software. Apparently this has been going on in Carlow in the last few days.

Basic Message: Beware of Indian computer support staff ringing you to "help" you fix your computer!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056045717

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

Wow!
    Only last week I had this call and thought to myself why the hell would they be calling the landline?

Anyway,As they spoke for 2/3 mins I became wise to it and asked questions which they couldnt answer as I know quiet a bit about Windows etc.

So I put him on hold every 5 mins for bout 25mins till he hung up:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Say your a linux person

i say the reason they are ringing landlines is that they know you are at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Trampas wrote: »
    Say your a linux person

i say the reason they are ringing landlines is that they know you are at home

They're looking for gullible folk who may not be aware that the guy on the Phone is scamming them! Getting a call at home (when they have your name and address in front of them from the phonebook) means the scammer has his foot in the door already! The only way out is to put the phone down (even if your pc has 80,000 files damaged - this is the line they'll feed the "sucker").

This is more likely to work on older folk (who use pc rarely), like my dad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

They just called my house this afternoon! My wife told them to "go and ****........" I rang Newbridge Gardai but there's little they can do except record details before any illegal actions occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This is happening all over the place. A girl in work handed over her cc details on tuesday and got stung for 200 quid. Not a lot of sympathy tbh.

Never give out your credit card details over the phone unless you were the one to dial the number - simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

Just got a phone call from that exact crowd a few minutes ago, claiming to be from microsoft, so Beware!! as they are still up to no good.

Advertisement