Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV NGB - Existing Customers

• 30-09-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

So I had an Eircom rep here today offering me their NGB which when the introduction period ends will be approx 66 quid per month. I'm currently paying UTV approx 75 quid per month for their 7.6mb service.

Anyway I've been with UTV for years so decided to have a gander at their NGB pricing...I can get their NGB with Talk Anytime and a 40GB cap for 50 quid per month...or can I? Is this just for "new sign-ups"? What a rip-off to their existing customers if it is...or if it's not...HOORAH!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

hahaha.. was goin to ask the same question :) even sent email to utv support ... :) anyway, does anyone using thier NRG ? some feedback please :)
    thx in advance

just got info ..when changing to NGB from existing Quicksilver account:
    T
    he new tariff will cost 54.98 per month and will include:

8mb broadband with unlimited usage
    Line rental
    Evening and weekend calls to landlines in the UK and Ireland
    ..so goin ahead with ... much cheaper than eirscrew :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Just got the info meself today too...talked to a guy from UTV called Steven. So 8mb NGB, 40GB cap and Talk Anytime calls for €49.99. Much cheaper than Eircom and 25 quid cheaper than the 7mb subscription I currently have with UTV. Good times :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Has anyone changed over yet? If so, any real difference over the 7.6mb option?

byte wrote: »
    Has anyone changed over yet? If so, any real difference over the 7.6mb option?

He said he had put me on the new tariff as of this evening but the speeds won't kick in for 24 hours. My speeds have been very iffy and non consistent as of late so if there is a difference in the next day or two I'll let you know ;)

• Advertisement

So here's a ping test and speed test result. (I was getting a grade C or D before and my download speeds were approx 4.70mb. )

25442011.png

978868152.png

Upload speeds seem to have gone down a bit. They were approx 0.50mb or there abouts but I'm not complaining.

byte

I'm currently on the older 7.6mbit package with the Unlimited addon.

However, looking at the UTV website, I was browsing the NGB offers.

Their "unlimited" NGB product is €59.99 (with Talk).

The concern for me is the small print.

Usage limits apply to all tariffs. Usage includes all information downloaded over your connection, as well as all information uploaded. Over usage is charged at €2.00 per GB. There is a Fair Usage Policy of 75 GB applicable to customers who are on unlimited usage. Terms and Conditions apply.

75GB? Pfft. Not very unlimited.

I suppose for the average user 75GB is plenty but yeah it's hardly "unlimited". But who in their right mind would take up Eircom's capped NGB offers with a 10GB allowance? That's the biggest crock of sh*te ever.

I'm currently on the older 7.6mbit package with the Unlimited addon.

However, looking at the UTV website, I was browsing the NGB offers.

Their "unlimited" NGB product is €59.99 (with Talk).

The concern for me is the small print.

well...downloading a lots of stuff, having Cc**m for my satbox runing 24/7 never reached even 50gigs :) so utvs offer is the best

@ O'Prez: can you check the connection/link speed in your router status page and post here please, thanks in advance...btw talked to Steven too :)

:D
    Still useable for most though, but yes makes UPC 250GB look fantastic.

• Advertisement

stuff.hunter...is this what you're after?

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 8128 Kbps 512 Kbps
    Noise Margin 6.3 dB 22.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 29.0 dB 17.0 dB
    Output Power 19.8 dBm 11.9 dBm

O'Prez wrote: »
    stuff.hunter...is this what you're after?

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 8128 Kbps 512 Kbps
    Noise Margin 6.3 dB 22.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 29.0 dB 17.0 dB
    Output Power 19.8 dBm 11.9 dBm

yep, exactly :) thaks mate

RVP 11 wrote: »
    :D
    Still useable for most though, but yes makes UPC 250GB look fantastic.
    well, can't get upc bb in my area so utv is the best choice for me :)

yep, exactly :) thaks mate

No problem ;) Though ping and speed tests gave some poor results for a while yesterday. Back to normal so far today though.

O'Prez wrote: »
    No problem ;) Though ping and speed tests gave some poor results for a while yesterday. Back to normal so far today though.
    had exactly the same last nite but today everything looks fine

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Any info on line about those rates? I don't see anything about NGB on UTV's site. I'm on a 3mb line with them, and it seems to be slowing!

MarkR wrote: »
    Any info on line about those rates? I don't see anything about NGB on UTV's site. I'm on a 3mb line with them, and it seems to be slowing!
    take a look here http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/ngb.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Hmmm, im wondering should i do it, i think my current 7.6Mb unlimited is 56euro a month, would be 55euro with NGN. However i have a crappy line and only get 4Mb download so NGN might even be worse( and most likely would be ), could improve my pings from a crappy 47ms though, hmmm

Oh and i pay for 7.6 even though i only get 4Mb but at least its 33% faster than 3Mb :)

*Edit* actually the NGB Unlimited is actually more expensive @59.99euro than my current 7.6Mb unlimited, whats that about?

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Hmmm, im wondering should i do it, i think my current 7.6Mb unlimited is 56euro a month, would be 55euro with NGN. However i have a crappy line and only get 4Mb download so NGN might even be worse( and most likely would be ), could improve my pings from a crappy 47ms though, hmmm

Oh and i pay for 7.6 even though i only get 4Mb but at least its 33% faster than 3Mb :)

*Edit* actually the NGB Unlimited is actually more expensive @59.99euro than my current 7.6Mb unlimited, whats that about?
    ..59.99e for new users, i've got it for 54.99

..59.99e for new users, i've got it for 54.99
    how?

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
    byte

I think it's because the 59.99 bundle includes anytime landline calls, whereas the cheaper bundle you're already on only has offpeak landline calls.

I'm not sure if 75GB is enough for me, so might stick with what I have for now.

I think it's because the 59.99 bundle includes anytime landline calls, whereas the cheaper bundle you're already on only has offpeak landline calls.

I'm not sure if 75GB is enough for me, so might stick with what I have for now.
    i dont know, it says on their site its 59.99 for NGB 8 Unlimited with talk( not talk plus thingy )

Ahh ill ring them, the 75Gig is only fair use, surely theyre not going to annoy you if you hit 100Gig

Im only interested in getting my pings down( theyre not that bad, 47ms to boards.ie but still 33 is a lot better for online shooters ), but for me its a case of better the devil you know

Update: UTV got back to me and said i would get 3Mb on NGB lol, stuff that, happy enough with my 4Mb

Advertisement