Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forgot to transfer insurance to new car

Options
  • 30-09-2010 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

hey was pulled over in a friends car, asked to produce which i did i thought i had 3rd party insurance, but i then realised that the policy i had(produced) was for my old car and i forgot to change it over to my new car.(policy was active)

anyway i got a summons in the post for not producing and for no insurance,when i did produce.
    My policy does say that im covered(3rd party) if i didnt own the car i was driving at the time,but as i said before i forgot to transfer the (dont think the garda know)insurance to the new car do ye think i could bluff it.

thanks guys and dolls

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Did you friend have insurance on the car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭breanach

no but my policy said he didnt doesnt have 2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Then you should be completely covered as ironically you were driving another car; had you been driving your new car then your policy would have been invalid. 3rd party coverage only applies to cars you don't own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Has to be more to the story than this. If you had a current certificate, with driving of other cars extension, why did the question of you not transferring cover from your old car even come up in the conversation? Surely the Garda asked you to provide evidence that you had cover on the vehicle you were driving

oldyouth wrote: »
    Has to be more to the story than this. If you had a current certificate, with driving of other cars extension, why did the question of you not transferring cover from your old car even come up in the conversation? Surely the Garda asked you to provide evidence that you had cover on the vehicle you were driving

it didnt come up, i bloody noticed it after i produced in the gards station and promply transfered it over to the car i know own.

• Advertisement

Then you should be completely covered as ironically you were driving another car; had you been driving your new car then your policy would have been invalid. 3rd party coverage only applies to cars you don't own.

yeah provided the car the policy is on is still in my name.

but i dont think they would check if it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Debateable - as OP had no valid insurance on his own car (his policy referred to a car he did not own and which was no longer registered in his name - normal preconditions for insurance) then he had no insurance to drive friend's uninsured car.

breanach wrote: »
    yeah provided the car the policy is on is still in my name.

but i dont think they would check if it was.

You could bring your cert to the prosecuting guard. He might accept it or he might check with your insurance company if he has doubts. How did you come to be driving your friends car?

mone was in the garage needed work done

mathepac wrote: »
    Debateable - as OP had no valid insurance on his own car (his policy referred to a car he did not own and which was no longer registered in his name - normal preconditions for insurance) then he had no insurance to drive friend's uninsured car.

thats what i thought but as i said woulf the garda know this?if he checked the insurance would still be valid he would have no reason to check if the car was in my name.(car on policy i mean)

• Advertisement

breanach wrote: »
    thats what i thought but as i said woulf the garda know this?if he checked the insurance would still be valid he would have no reason to check if the car was in my name.(car on policy i mean)

He would ring up your insurance company and say you were driving motor car xxx registered to yyyy on such a date at such a time. Would you have covered him if there was an accident? If yes, you are in the clear. If no, you have problems.

Jo King wrote: »
    He would ring up your insurance company and say you were driving motor car xxx registered to yyyy on such a date at such a time. Would you have covered him if there was an accident? If yes, you are in the clear. If no, you have problems.

And say notting about the fact i forgot to change over the insurance.

Just say i driving the car i was pulled in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭maidhc

A Garda is unlikely to prosecute on anything other than what is (or is not) written on the certificate of insurance.

I have been in court where the Guard says he rang the insurance company. Where the vehicle being driven is not the one listed on the policy document the guard might well ring the insurance company. I have seen cases where a Guard brought in a manager from the insurance company to try and prove that person driving the vehicle was not covered. A lot depends on the District Court Judge for the area. Some take the Guards word that the driving is not covered and convict, some will tell the Guard that there is a reasonable doubt and they will dismiss.

I have been in court where the Guard says he rang the insurance company. Where the vehicle being driven is not the one listed on the policy document the guard might well ring the insurance company. I have seen cases where a Guard brought in a manager from the insurance company to try and prove that person driving the vehicle was not covered. A lot depends on the District Court Judge for the area. Some take the Guards word that the driving is not covered and convict, some will tell the Guard that there is a reasonable doubt and they will dismiss.

I RANG AND THEY SAID THAT THEY WOULD COVER ME!

BUT THEY ARENT AWARE THAT I DONT OWN THE CAR ANYMORE THAT THE POLICY IS ON!

SHOULD I COME CLEAN?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭maidhc

hearsay?

maidhc wrote: »
    hearsay?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Meeoow

who are you insured with?
    normally you have to be comprehensive and the other car you are driving has to have insurance.
    never heard of a third party policy covering another uninsured car.

Advertisement