Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Charity auction: Irish Champions Garmin jersey signed by Dan Martin (again!)

• 30-09-2010 9:52pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread, 100Suns has very kindly agreed to auction the Dan Martin signed jersey that he won himself in another charity auction only a few weeks ago.

GarminJersey.jpg?t=1277966753

Garminjerseycloseup.jpg?t=1277966723

This is an authentic Irish Champions Garmin jersey signed by Dan Martin when he was Irish champion. It was originally acquired in another charity auction and its authenticity is vouched for by Cycling Ulster. It is sized small.

All proceeds will go Fr Peter McVerry Trust.

The auction will close at midnight on Friday 8 October.

Please post your bids in-thread. If you prefer not to disclose your Boards identity, you can PM your bid to me or one of the other mods, and we will post the amount of the bid for you. The minimum bid is €50.

The current custodian of this jersey is RobFowl, who has promised to cycle to the winner's home to hand deliver it (that's not strictly true - he has actually agreed to pay for delivery to any address in Ireland, but if anyone from, say, Cork wants to make it a condition of their bid that he does hand deliver it...;))

I would bid for this item myself, but I think it only fair that it goes to a good Irish home. I will, however, match the winning bid with an equivalent donation to the Fr Peter McVerry Trust. Hence the more you are prepared to bid and pay, the more I will end up paying also.smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

To get the ball rolling I'll bid €100.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

€150

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »

All proceeds will go Fr Peter McVerry Trust.

The auction will close at midnight on Friday 8 October.

The current custodian of this jersey is RobFowl, who has promised to cycle to the winner's home to hand deliver it (that's not strictly true - he has actually agreed to pay for delivery to any address in Ireland, but if anyone from, say, Cork wants to make it a condition of their bid that he does hand deliver it...;))

If some one bids over €300 I will deliver it by bike
    (as long as it's in Ireland !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

RobFowl wrote: »
    hopefully someone from achill bids so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I will bid €301 on the condition that you cycle from Dublin to my home in Kerry without overnighting it somewhere :D.

I will meet you along the way to keep you fed and watered.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I will bid €301 on the condition that you cycle from Dublin to my home in Kerry without overnighting it somewhere :D.

I will meet you along the way to keep you fed and watered.

Assuming you're the winning bid that's fine by me (Eeeeek)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

All we need is ednwireland and rok to get into a bidding war and RobFowl will have his own Race around Ireland

It'll be in the region of 331.0 km so will be looking for sponsorship for this as well...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Is the bid of €301 a serious one?

Given Rok On's past record and reputation it's certainly a serious offer. Another Boardsie has already agreed to do the cycle with me :D

Good man, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We could cycle the jersey round the RAI route in one continuous boardsie relay race.

Baggsy not get the last shift. Man, that would really stink.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    We could cycle the jersey round the RAI route in one continuous boardsie relay race.

Baggsy not get the last shift. Man, that would really stink.
    Only small boardsies will fit in it (phew!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

It'll be in the region of 331.0 km so will be looking for sponsorship for this as well...........

This is getting interesting, so to ramp it up a bit more, I'll throw in €50 if RobFowl cycles down to ROK ON (at his place of permanent residence), or an equivalent distance (+or- 50 k - round trip acceptable) to an alternative bid in excess of €301.

I'll leave it to others to decide if doing it in fancy dress must be a further qualifying criteria for the cash. Personally, I think it should be but I wouldn't impose it on RobFowl if it wasn't the will of the majority. Lycra fancy dress is fine.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK - so this is starting to get very interesting - it seems, regardless of winner, we have a challenge to Rob to cycle around 300km, either to deliver the jersey, or to satisfy 100Suns' condition

So Rob - are you up for it? - essentially it's now a sponsored bike ride, as well as auction, and I'll throw in my €50 on top of matching the winning bid.

100Suns wrote: »
    This is getting interesting, so to ramp it up a bit more, I'll throw in €50 if RobFowl cycles down to ROK ON (at his place of permanent residence), or an equivalent distance (+or- 50 k - round trip acceptable) to an alternative bid in excess of €301.

I'll leave it to others to decide if doing it in fancy dress must be a further qualifying criteria for the cash. Personally, I think it should be but I wouldn't impose it on RobFowl if it wasn't the will of the majority. Lycra fancy dress is fine.

I'll do it wearing the new boards gear. 300k + in a Batman outfit doesn't appeal :rolleyes:

PS am outing Snollup as the other one who going to do the cycle with me.

Ok, no hiding now. Am still on for this, in Boards kit & not Batman kit tho'.

311km from Castleknock. I have done it over two days.
    Suggestion would be out to Punchestown and onto Kilcullen. Take the N8 all the way to Cashel (M8 runs parallel, so N8 sees very little traffic). There are towns every 20km or so to break up the monotony.
    From cashel go Tipp Town, Killmallock, Charleville, Newtown, Kanturk, Millstreet, rathmore, Glenflesk, Kilgarvan, Kenmare.
    There are no climbs to speak of on that route.

Slightly insulted at that. Its absolutely serious. I wouldnt jerk around with someones fundraising. I know just how difficult it is to raise funds for charity. I know you meant no offense, but just to erase any doubts.

Anyone else that is feeling generous feel free to sponsor this cycle, it's a really good cause!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

The newly established 'I quitting smoking coin jar' has 50euro in it that I gladly give as sponsorship;)

OK - totaliser to date

Highest bid (so far) €301 (ROK ON)
    Matching bid €301 (Beasty)
    Sponsorship:
    100Suns €50
    Beasty €50
    Esroh €50

That makes total pledges of €752 so far

Come on everyone - let's get it to €1,000

can someone link this page to Mrs RobFowl's Facebook just to give her a heads up.

reminds me of when I played footie as a teenager. Our manager organised a trip to Liverpool for the team and as he left on the sat morn told his missus "
    Just going to the shops to get the paper". He didnt arrive back till Tues am whereas the rest of the team got home on Mon.

Edit: Beasty you have a spare bed in yours dont ya!

OK - totaliser to date

Sponsorship:
    100Suns €50
    Beasty €50
    Esroh €50

That makes total pledges of €752 so far

Come on everyone - let's get it to €1,000

There's an anonymous offer of €100 as well.

Rok on, no offence meant, I just didn't think it was clear when i read the post, so asked the question.

I'll weigh in with a crisp new €50 note too, good cause. Maybe even ride part of the way if you're inviting all-comers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I will throw in €50 too.

(Perhaps I should give it to ROK ON to raise his bid to €351 so Beasty would have to match it.) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

50 from me too.

Fantastic - that's the first thousand pledged:

Sponsorship:
    100Suns €50
    Beasty €50
    Esroh €50
    Anonymous €100
    paddymacsporran €50
    manwithaplan €50
    Raam €50

Total to date €1,002

Let's see if we can get this to €1,500 now:D

You will be able to add another €200 to the total, anon sponsor :D

I just wanted to say that I think what is happening is fantastic. I threw in a bid in responses to RobFowls suggestion of a personal delivery. Part of me wanted to support this charity. I think Fr McVerry is an incredible man.
    But part of me was making mischief. I have never met RobFowl but I wanted to add a bit a bit of spice to proceedings.

What has happened since is just priceless and brilliant. It is a credit to people here. Might sound twee, but a lot can be achieved with some positive thinking and action.

Its not over yet. If I am the winning bid I will do my best to make the trip as easy as is possible. I will probably join ye on some of it, or at least provide some support.

This is great.

I will do my best to make the trip as easy as is possible.

Yeah - they can borrow my lights for the ride home - that should make it a bit easier for them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Great going folks. Beasty, RobFowl, snollup and ROK ON are playing a blinder. I'm happy to give the lads a pull for the first 100 km out of Dublin (starting to feel a bit guilty). Perhaps you could pick a day when the wind is helping on the return journey:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Any idea when the cycle will take place? If I'm about I'll certainly meet with ye (perhaps Cashel) with food and supplies and join the adventure south, with an approprate entry fee in hand.

We've a provisional date arranged just waiting for 2or 3 issues to be resolved. It's going to happen soon enough though......

Latest totaliser:

Sponsorship:
    100Suns €50
    Beasty €50
    Esroh €50
    Anonymous 1 €100
    paddymacsporran €50
    manwithaplan €50
    Raam €50
    Anonymous 2 €200
    thebouldwhacker - "an appropriate entry fee"

Total to date €1,202 + "an appropriate entry fee"

Come on everyone - there's still time to gazump ROK ON, which would entitle you to "personal service" from RobFowl, or you can pledge sponsorship money (no minimum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

In with 50 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

i will throw in 50 as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

Put me down for 50 too please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

The minimum bid is €50.

Is the minimum sponsorship €50 too? I'd like to contribute but €50 is too much for me.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Is the minimum sponsorship €50 too? I'd like to contribute but €50 is too much for me.
    Definitely not - I tried to make it clear in one of the earlier posts, but there is no minimum on sponsorship. Any amount will be welcomed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Put me down for €25.

PM me the account details of the collector (RobFowl??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bcmf wrote: »
    All we need is ednwireland and rok to get into a bidding war and RobFowl will have his own Race around Ireland

i was tempted but its too rich for me (and i did just buy those diadora's) and i'm not irish ;)

Into the final day of bidding, and we now have a new highest bid - €350 from someone who wishes to remain anonymous. They have indicated Rob's 300km "challenge" would remain, with details to be sorted if they are the successful bidder.

This pretty much gets us to €1,500, with the following current pledges:

Highest bid (so far) €350 (Anonymous)
    Matching pledge €350 (Beasty)
    Sponsorship:
    100Suns €50
    Beasty €50
    Esroh €50
    Anonymous 1 €100
    paddymacsporran €50
    manwithaplan €50
    Raam €50
    Anonymous 2 €200
    thebouldwhacker - "an appropriate entry fee"
    Astramonti €50
    RO 06 €50
    tfrancer €50
    Hungrycol €25

Total to date €1,475 + "an appropriate entry fee" - a fantastic amount already, but there's still time to pledge or bid more!

In terms of payment, there may be a couple of options - Rob could collect personally, but I also note there are payment facilities on both the Peter McVerry Trust website and mycharity.ie. We can confirm details once we have more details of the "challenge".

Gazzumped, Ah bollix.

Ah well. Thorw me down for a donation. Will get back to you on figure.

I suggested to RF that I think we should send a note to Dan Martin, to make him aware of what good that such a jersey donation can do. AFAIK his agent is Andrew McQuaid of Azzuri Sports.

I think it would be a nice thing to know that a simple jersey donation can help people on a practical level. Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Gazzumped, Ah bollix.

Ah well. Thorw me down for a donation. Will get back to you on figure.

I suggested to RF that I think we should send a note to Dan Martin, to make him aware of what good that such a jersey donation can do. AFAIK his agent is Andrew McQuaid of Azzuri Sports.

I think it would be a nice thing to know that a simple jersey donation can help people on a practical level. Just a thought.

Maybe we should cheekly let Nico and Matt B know aswell and what what we could do with 2 more.;)

Esroh wrote: »
    Maybe we should cheekly let Nico and Matt B know aswell and what what we could do with 2 more.;)

Might be getting some Sean Kelly team gear soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I know it's not much but I feel I should chip in and it would get you to your 1500, so put me down for 25 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

So if Rok isn't getting the jersey is there a 'delivery' cycle going ahead?

Yes - but route/location/timing to be agreed once winning bidder is confirmed - I think a minimum 300k is expected based on various conditions attached to some of the pledges:D