Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Charity auction: Irish Champions Garmin jersey signed by Dan Martin (again!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

So if Rok isn't getting the jersey is there a 'delivery' cycle going ahead?

In a word yes :o

Not sure what it is yet though........

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's it - Auction closed, and the winner is ....

.... anonymous with a winning bid of €350!

Thanks to everyone who took part in the auction which, with my matcking pledge, raised the fantastic sum of €700.

We'll get back to you with details of Rob's challenge. In the meantime, you can continue to pledge sponsorship for his 300km(+?:eek:) epic journey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Still open for donations and sponsors for the spin ! no minimum and all going to the Peter McVerry trust.

He's a true hero on every level and has done so much for the most vulnerable in our country.

Once the challenge is set I'll aim to raise at least the total pledges here.

I'm also going to get the jersey framed for the new owner if they so wish.

I'll also throw in my treasured Mark Cavandish water bottle which was used by him in the 2008 TOI.

Thanks to all who've been so generous and if it helps the longest I've ridden in a day before is 240k.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well done ye men...
    Is it gonna be a one day event (boards audax anyone??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Given that this is a sort of Dan Martin thread,
    he had a pretty strong day today finishing second to Robert Gesink in Giro dell Emillia

RobFowl wrote: »
    Still open for donations and sponsors for the spin ! no minimum and all going to the Peter McVerry trust.

Rob,

Sorry I didnt win, but sin e.
    Best of luck with the endevour.

I know a mycharity page was linked a few posts back. But what is the easiest way for folks to donate. Cash, cheque, transfer, mycharity etc.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Rob,

Sorry I didnt win, but sin e.
    Best of luck with the endevour.

I know a mycharity page was linked a few posts back. But what is the easiest way for folks to donate. Cash, cheque, transfer, mycharity etc.
    Seeing as you almost won the jersey I'm sorting a second place "prize" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Sent a tweet to the azzurri sports account and to David mc quaid with the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hi, just wondering if theres any more news on the cycle?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hi, just wondering if theres any more news on the cycle?
    Just finalising details - we'll post news as soon as we confirm date and location/route

Thats the date Saturday 30th Oct starting at an ungodly hour.

Snollup and I are going to cycle 300kms .
    It's going to be around Dublin with this route as the "back-bone"

http://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=110273571692769211258.000492802217ae8425d61&z=10

We'll be doing loops around a well lit quite area at the start and hope to have 100kms done by 0900 when we'll attempt to join on to the Swords 08:30 spin. From there on to the Phoenix park which we should hit at 1100 or so. We'll do laps and different circuits there (with of course some Lance laps) until we hit 200K+. Then its off to the coast and follow the coastal path to Fairview/ClontarfSutton/Portmarnock/Malahide/Swords then up North to Lusk/Rush/Skerries/Balbriggan/Balrothery and then hope fully we'll hit the magic number (will be using a Garmin GPS to accurately measure the distance).

All proceeds to the Peter McVerry Trust which can be done directly through http://www.pmvtrust.ie/en/make_a_donation.aspx
    If making a donation on-line through this site please mention in the comments box that it is related to the Boards.ie 300km cycle.
    If you wish to give it as cash please PM me or snollup for details.

Special thanks to 100suns for donating the Dan Martin Jersey, to the anonymous winning bidder and to Beasty for his help and support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Beart de réir mo bhriathar déanta.

Shame I won't see you both on the Swords spin as I will be away that weekend. All the best with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Then its off to the coast and follow the coastal path to Fairview/ClontarfSutton/Portmarnock/Malahide/Swords then up North to Lusk/Rush/Skerries/Balbriggan/Balrothery and then hope fully we'll hit the magic number (will be using a Garmin GPS to accurately measure the distance).

If you let me know your ETA for sutton, i ll come down and meet you's and give you some company as far as balbriggan if you fancy it. Will happily pass you on some money too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Are you putting in a lap of Howth?

Raam wrote: »
    Are you putting in a lap of Howth?

What's it worth :rolleyes:

A tow out from Clontarf and through Malahide.

Done a lap of Howth is now part of the plan (should be fun after 10 hours in the saddle!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If yourself and Snollup fancy some company (he mentioned the cycle when I nipped over to pick up my gear) I'll happily come down to Balbriggan and try and find you - I love cycling at ungodly hours!!!

Is that route map right - it looks a bit all over the place:)

Jawgap wrote: »
    If yourself and Snollup fancy some company (he mentioned the cycle when I nipped over to pick up my gear) I'll happily come down to Balbriggan and try and find you - I love cycling at ungodly hours!!!

Is that route map right - it looks a bit all over the place:)

I tried to tweak the route map but made a bit of a mess of it. We'll be in balbriggan from about 0530 til 0800 doing laps near the church (a few variation of well lit loops) this is more like it
    http://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&num=200&start=1&msa=0&msid=110273571692769211258.000492802217ae8425d61&ll=53.511735,-6.185303&spn=0.431186,0.760803&z=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Maybe it's my computer but this route has you three miles out to sea at one stage:)

I'll mosey down during the time mentioned and see if I can't find ye

Jawgap wrote: »
    Maybe it's my computer but this route has you three miles out to sea at one stage:)

I'll mosey down during the time mentioned and see if I can't find ye

each time I tried to tidy it up I fecked it up some more :o

Would appreciate the company

I should be back from Old Trafford about 11pm - if you're still out, I'll be happy to come along .....:D

PS - I had Nobby's medal in my hands yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Beasty wrote: »
    I should be back from Old Trafford about 11pm - if you're still out, I'll be happy to come along .....:D

PS - I had Nobby's medal in my hands yesterday

Yes, we'll still be out, doing laps of the Phoenix Park at that stage I think!

snollup wrote: »
    Yes, we'll still be out, doing laps of the Phoenix Park at that stage I think!

11pm ......

If we're still doing laps of the park that late we're in trouble ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Best of luck lads. Sorry I can't join ye as my out of season training plan has me down for a 500 k warm down spin at 95% threshold on Saturday and I have something else on in the afternoon :D. Enjoy.

11pm ......

D'oh, missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

11pm ......

If you are still doing laps of the park at 11pm you may find somewhere warm in the park to sleep (it'll be safer to sleep in the park then going home)

http://www.irishtimes.com/weather/
    partly_sunny_showers.gif

http://www.rte.ie/weather/
    nat-tomorrow.gif

Fingers crossed...
    Not looking too bad tomorrow

http://www.irishtimes.com/weather/
    partly_sunny_showers.gif

http://www.rte.ie/weather/
    nat-tomorrow.gif

Fingers crossed...
    Not looking too bad tomorrow

Can't be much worse then today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Best of luck lads!

With the guys due to set off in about 6 hours or so, I thought I'd update where we have got to with pledges:

Winning bid €350 (Anonymous 1)
    Matching pledge €350 (Beasty)

Sponsorship:
    100Suns €50
    Beasty €50
    Esroh €50
    Anonymous 2 €100
    paddymacsporran €50
    manwithaplan €50
    Raam €50
    Anonymous 3 €200
    thebouldwhacker - "an appropriate entry fee"
    Astramonti €50
    RO 06 €50
    tfrancer €50
    Hungrycol €25
    Dirkvoodoo €25
    Anonymous 4 €50
    Sundry cash donations collected by RobFowl €60

That gives an overall total of €1,610 + "an appropriate entry fee"

There is still time to pledge more for this great cause.

I am sure RobFowl and snollup would appreciate any support you can give them during the course of tomorrow.

Good luck with it guys

Nice day for a cycle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Beasty, i pm'ed Robfowl for his address to send on a cheque. stick me in for 50e

Got a txt @ 1.50 from Rob Fowl and they had done 200km. Go on the lads!!!!

I waited from 1.30 to 2.45 at the Clontarf track. No sign. Back home now. I even had gels for the lads!

Just got a call from him. He is on the Estuary road,Malahide. In good form and looking forward to a beer.

I waited from 1.30 to 2.45 at the Clontarf track. No sign. Back home now. I even had gels for the lads!

Sorry I must have gone by you. Was in a world of my own at that stage. Did go up howth though (if you had been with me you'd have been embarrassed)
    Proof I was at the summit.

66358_448196628316_560318316_5474916_3899603_n.jpg

Snollup at 04:30
    71730_448198933316_560318316_5475003_1098422_n.jpg

The two bikes at out 110k coffee stop
    71730_448198928316_560318316_5475002_7090273_n.jpg

In total took 13hrs 45mins
    Total cycling time
    11hours 50mins
    First 100k in 4:10 (pitch dark , cold and very difficult to ride any way fast)
    Second 100k in 3:50
    Last 100k in 3:50 and included Howth
    Once day broke conditions perfect and managed to see the sun Rise on the Skerries/Balbriggan coast road (beautiful)
    And saw it start to set in the same place ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

133072.jpg

Congrats and well done. Sorry I didnt get the jersey, but sin e. Next year maybe.

Some achievement the cycle and the funds raised.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Congrats and well done. Sorry I didnt get the jersey, but sin e. Next year maybe.

Some achievement the cycle and the funds raised.
    I've a Sean Kelly Team jersey kindly donated by Stephen Halpin who rode as a stagiere with them this year. Its signed by a chunk of the team including Nico Eeckout. If you match your previous bid I'll deliver it by bike ......

Well done RobFowl and snollup - a fantastic effort in support of a very worthy cause.

We've had another anonymous donation of €200 which, when added to kennyb3's pledge, brings the overall total to €1,860, comprising:

Winning bid €350 (Anonymous 1)
    Matching pledge €350 (Beasty)

Sponsorship:
    100Suns €50
    Beasty €50
    Esroh €50
    Anonymous 2 €100
    paddymacsporran €50
    manwithaplan €50
    Raam €50
    Anonymous 3 €200
    thebouldwhacker - "an appropriate entry fee"
    Astramonti €50
    RO 06 €50
    tfrancer €50
    Hungrycol €25
    Dirkvoodoo €25
    Anonymous 4 €50
    Sundry cash donations collected by RobFowl €60
    kennyb3 €50
    Anonymous 5 €200

Thanks for everyone who bid or sponsored Rob and snollup for the ride - in particular a number of boardsies who have pledged some pretty impressive amounts whilst not wanting their identities to be publicised.

Just a reminder - payments can be made via the Peter McVerry Trust website - http://www.pmvtrust.ie/en/make_a_donation.aspx
    If making a donation on-line through this site please mention in the comments box that it is related to the Boards.ie 300km cycle. PM RobFowl if you want to pay by cheque or cash

Hopefully we'll get some offers for the Sean Kelly jersey Rob just mentioned, to take the overall total beyond €2,000;)

SK jersey now gone.
    Thanks to all for the generous donations.

Please don't forget to make your donations if you have not already done so

I posted the link to the website donation page above. Any problems or if you want to pay another way, PM me or RobFowl. Further donations remain welcome.

Thanks again for everyone's support

Thread now de-stickied