Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 weeks to get ripped....

Options
  • 30-09-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

Jamie here,i have been going to the gym almost daily for the past two months to regain my fitness levels and to gain some muscle.the last two months have been a mix of weights and cardio and while having shed some weight i'm trying to get ripped...I have 5 weeks before going on holidays so i hope i have enough time and would like your helpful comments and guidance:ponly recently have i started to set a diet plan for myself as im a bit of a noob when it comes to this kinda stuff

I am :
    5'10''
    181 pounds

Breakfast - Porridge(or 2 Boiled Eggs)& Whey Shake 55g ,Cod Liver oil cap

MidMorning Snack - 2 slices of wholemmeal + Peanut Butter + Glass of Milk

Lunch - Chicken in Brown pittabread,red pepper & Tomato,Baked Beans

Pre Workout - Banana

Post Workout - Whey Shake (55g)

Evening Meal - Tin of Tuna Steak & 2 Slices of Wholemeal Bread

Todays Workout Consisted of

3km at level 10 on Crosstrainer
    10km cycle
    3km Walk Threadmill
    Ab Crunch 100reps @ 60kg
    Some bench presses 10x15 @ 65kg
    15 Minute on heavybag
    5 minute on speedbag
    pectoral machine 5x20 reps @40kg
    Chest Press 5x20 @ 50kg
    along with some dumbell work

what am i doing wrong,or could i change for the better etc as i said im a noob so all help appreciated!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 stvcummins

have you tried interval training when your doing your cardio? Mix it up with 15 second bursts at your flat out pace then 30 secs recovery. This should get your heart rate up & get you into the "fat burning zone".

Thats what my last gym instructor had me doing anyway and it worked well. I wasn't doing as much weight training as you though & definitely wasn't eating as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

I'm the exact same weight and height but can't lift anywhere near what you're lifting. I'd say I've probably a higher bodyfat % which is why I couldn't even dream of being ripped in 5 weeks.

Personally, I'm doing it in phases. Between now and the end of November (or December if it comes to it), I'm gonna be on a weight loss phase. Then I'm gonna start heavier on the weights.

I'm a newbie too but the first thing that strikes me is the reps and sets. From what I've read, 20 reps per set and/or 10 sets is too many. I think you'd be better increasing the weights and reducing the reps/sets. I normally start at a certain weight and add to it for each of 3 sets of 12 reps (5 sets should be fine too).

Someone with more experience will probably be along and can give better advice but that's just the thing that stands out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Todays Workout Consisted of

3km at level 10 on Crosstrainer
    10km cycle
    3km Walk Threadmill
    Ab Crunch 100reps @ 60kg
    Some bench presses 10x15 @ 65kg
    15 Minute on heavybag
    5 minute on speedbag
    pectoral machine 5x20 reps @40kg
    Chest Press 5x20 @ 50kg
    along with some dumbell work

what am i doing wrong,or could i change for the better etc as i said im a noob so all help appreciated!!

Where did you get that plan from?
    I think you need a major re-structure.
    And did you really do 150reps on the bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 richieramirez

cmyk wrote: »
    Where did you get that plan from?
    I think you need a major re-structure.
    And did you really do 150reps on the bench?
    i didnt get a plan from anywhere to be honest,i started a log so i could get some advice from experienced people as to what i was doing wrong,as i had no doubt that i wasnt doing the perfect workout,yes i do 150reps on the bench regularly but from googling i see its too much so im going to increase the weight and drop the reps drastically,

any help appreciated,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Ok, well I'd start by having a read of the stickies on the main fitness page.
    I think there are some exercise basics along with nutrition too.

You say you've been training for 2months now, is this the only gym/training experience you have?

A balanced programme developed around compound movements (exercises utilizing more than one joint) such as squats/deadlifts/bench press/overhead pressing and their variations would probably be a good start - provided you can perform these with decent form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement