Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Revolt, Coup d'état Would you support it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Where do you expect 100,000 people do come from ?
    I have seen no evidence of these numbers at any protests so far
    Most people dont seem to give a sh*t , or even if they do, they couldnt be bothered to protest

There's 230,000 people (?) unemployed. And the organisations like People Before Profit.

It's better than the OPs plan. Violence in the streets would mean even less people willing to protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

OP. Military coups only work if you have the Army (or at least a few corrupt Generals) on board. Ireland may be as corrupt politically as a South American Junta or West African Dictatorship, but there is no Army backing for a coup so forget about it.

Besides, even if you got the backing of the Army, who's to stop the 'General' becoming de facto leader while offing (or imprisoning) you?

http://www.democratsdiary.co.uk/uploaded_images/Pinochet-Junta-731461.jpg

And I always found it amazing that 100,000 people would protest the Iraq war, something that doesn't effect us directly, whilst less than 2,000 protested against NAMA - something which will cripple us economically indefinitely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Do you support direct armed action against the Government?

No.

Violence only begets violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

We're right behind you OP, why don't you start up the imaginary tank of self righteous retribution and I'll be right with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Biggins wrote: »
    Violence only begets violence.

ah gaysus lets stop protesting and open up our asses and pass around the vaseline to poltician banksters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

sligopark wrote: »
    ah gaysus lets stop protesting and open up our asses and pass around the vaseline to poltician banksters

Um, since when have the Irish been protesting? And I don't mean the usual suspects here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

What gets me most is that there has been NO proper protests AT ALL, even peaceful ... just a few ones with very small attendences

Where are the Irish people ?

Um, since when have the Irish been protesting? And I don't mean the usual suspects here.
    Most of us couldn't be bothered getting off our arses to take part in a peaceful protest never mind one that might mess up our shoes.

Most of us couldn't be bothered getting off our arses to take part in a peaceful protest never mind one that might mess up our shoes.

and so there is the difference in Northerners and Southerners - cowardice and mammy syndrome

blackiebeast has something coming up in Sligo - who is interested?

Yet young people will pay 250 euro to camp out in a muddy field for three days to hear, at best, three decent bands, after which they will go back to mammy's house since they can't get a decent job and move out on their own.

• Advertisement

Yet young people will pay 250 euro to camp out in a muddy field for three days to hear, at best, three decent bands, after which they will go back to mammy's house since they can't get a decent job and move out on their own.

good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

and so there is the difference in Northerners and Southerners - cowardice and mammy syndrome

There's also a protest down in Cashel soon against that scumbag Ahern who is making a speech to the local Chamber of Commerce.

There's also a protest down in Cashel soon against that scumbag Ahern who is making a speech to the local Chamber of Commerce.

JUst checked my crystal ball and bar the passage of a grenade nothing will change and the chamber will clap loudly and entertain this politician bankster as a hero

Is that Bertie Ahern ?
    Bertie takes no responsibility for the mess
    Cant wait till he is President

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Grant me immunity from prosecution and I'm on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭buzzdroid

Grant me immunity from prosecution and I'm on board.

well if you intend to replace the 1st republic with a 2nd one and a new constitution in an armed rebellion, then yes you would escape prosecution.

but only if the rebellion is successful of course.

By the way - an armed rebellion , if successful, would by default cancel out our entire debt. For those debt arrangements would have be done legally with the 1st republic. Which no longer exists, since we would have a 2nd republic.

Now , this is when it gets hairy - in order to force us to pay up our debt, we could be invaded in an attempt to reinstall the 1st Republic. we owe about 200 billion to the UK and around 300 to 400 billion to German banks. and those guys are not going to stand back. particularly the british.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Louisevb

A one day general strike to start with until we get an election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1081622

18 minutes in

cement truck rattling dail gates

check the poll - are the majority on here passive assh0les?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

What gets me most is that there has been NO proper protests AT ALL, even peaceful ... just a few ones with very small attendences

Where are the Irish people ?

Eh...trying to get on with life in the real world???

• Advertisement

buzzdroid wrote: »
    well if you intend to replace the 1st republic with a 2nd one and a new constitution in an armed rebellion, then yes you would escape prosecution.

but only if the rebellion is successful of course.

By the way - an armed rebellion , if successful, would by default cancel out our entire debt. For those debt arrangements would have be done legally with the 1st republic. Which no longer exists, since we would have a 2nd republic.

Um, no. You would not only be stuck with debt, but would probably not be able to borrow on international markets to keep the government going due to interest rates higher than Greece's.

For your infomation I currently live in Belfast (originally from the South and will be heading back soon), the only people who take part in riots and violent demonstrations up here are scumbags who are too retarded to express themselves by other means.

Is that a criticism of the people of this country or the music scene. You want to change the system either:
    1: Put yourself up for election or start a pressure group
    2: Start a band and write catchy protest songs

Inciting people to commit violence and to wreck the gaff because like many of us you are filled with rage at the situation is childish and counterproductive. Once we've had our revolution what then? I am (and I'm sure Lenny is too) open practical suggestions as to how we extract ourselves from this mess, if anyone here has any ideas now is the time to chime in.

Firefox11 wrote: »

****e talk excuse for cowardice and mammy' boy attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Silgopark, don't post in this thread again.

Firefox11 wrote: »

oh dear.
    so, whats life like in the real world tonight?

Um, no. You would not only be stuck with debt, but would probably not be able to borrow on international markets to keep the government going due to interest rates higher than Greece's.

there is that side effect as well of course. and trade embargoes.

prime example: Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I do want a new democratically elected government.

I really don't want your military dictatorship though.

Is that a criticism of the people of this country or the music scene. You want to change the system either:
    1: Put yourself up for election or start a pressure group
    2: Start a band and write catchy protest songs

Inciting people to commit violence and to wreck the gaff because like many of us you are filled with rage at the situation is childish and counterproductive. Once we've had our revolution what then? I am (and I'm sure Lenny is too) open practical suggestions as to how we extract ourselves from this mess, if anyone here has any ideas now is the time to chime in.

What I suggested is a completely peaceful occupation of the streets around Leinster House, similar to the peaceful takeovers of the city centers launched by Eastern European young people against their governments. The sole purpose would be to force elections.

I'm not currently living in Ireland, and I'm not an Irish citizen, but I have both participated in and organized mass protests in my home country. I'm also living in Spain right now, where a massive general strike just took place yesterday. I am AMAZED at how passive the Irish public is in the face of what the government is doing. I'm not an advocate for an armed revolution, or even Greek-style chaos, but peaceful demonstration is a right in a democracy, and almost nobody is taking advantage of it.

Once we've had our revolution what then? I am (and I'm sure Lenny is too) open practical suggestions as to how we extract ourselves from this mess, if anyone here has any ideas now is the time to chime in.

a 2nd republic would have a number of beneficial effects such as

a) the banning of Fianna Fail and seizure of their assets.

b) the jailing of all the bankers and developers responsible for the meltdown

c) the jailing of Cowen, Lenihan and others on charges of high treason.
    ( execution would be counter productive and turn them in 1916 style "martyrs" )

The slate would wiped clean. Gombeens would never be allowed to run for a political position ever again ( that would be in the 2nd constitution in the form of various tests that one would need to pass in order to serve office)

Then we can talk to the creditors and renegotiate our debt.

We would , of course, withdraw from the Euro but remain part of the EU free trade area. Nah scrap that - withdraw from the EU entirely. Have some sort of Norway style EFTA trade agreement. That would allow us to rebuild our agri and fisheries sector.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I'm too busy working and paying my bills to join an armed revolution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement