Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Revolt, Coup d'état Would you support it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And replace the current government with who exactly?
    Which political party has shady ties with a private army?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

buzzdroid wrote: »
    so the EU project has failed. and failed utterly.

No the Irish government has failed, and failed utterly.

It was too incompetent to use EU funds and surplus revenue to truly upgrade its infrastructure the way that, say, Spain did. Instead they spent it on quangos, top-heavy public administration, and a tram "system" in Dublin where the lines don't even meet.

It was too en thrall to American-style neoliberal orthodoxy about regulation of business and taxation to 1) provide proper oversight of banks and financial institutions (a la Spain) or 2) tax the population at a level that would be sufficient to pay for the services that they demanded (a la the Scandinavian countries)

Stop blaming the EU for Ireland's problems. If everything was the EU's fault, why are other small, open economies NOT facing the same challenges as Ireland? Could it be the fact that they actually have competent governments AND populations that demand responsive and open public officials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah that'll sort out all our woes

Where do I sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

No the Irish government has failed, and failed utterly.

It was too incompetent to use EU funds and surplus revenue to truly upgrade its infrastructure the way that, say, Spain did. Instead they spent it on quangos, top-heavy public administration, and a tram "system" in Dublin where the lines don't even meet.

It was too en thrall to American-style neoliberal orthodoxy about regulation of business and taxation to 1) provide proper oversight of banks and financial institutions (a la Spain) or 2) tax the population at a level that would be sufficient to pay for the services that they demanded (a la the Scandinavian countries)

Stop blaming the EU for Ireland's problems. If everything was the EU's fault, why are other small, open economies NOT facing the same challenges as Ireland? Could it be the fact that they actually have competent governments AND populations that demand responsive and open public officials?

Gave a response to your posts, regarding the lack of action by Irish people, in the other thread you're engaging in tonight; perhaps you missed it.
    You should read it; it's very informative.:D

ascanbe wrote: »
    Gave a response to your posts, regarding the lack of action by Irish people, in the other thread you're engaging in tonight; perhaps you missed it.
    You should read it; it's very informative.:D

Link? They are all running together in my head. Insomnia sucks. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

For some odd reason I don't feel angry about whats happening:eek:

I'm happy with how the last 20 years has worked out for Ireland. It's not as if we're ever going to maintain any type of self sufficient economy without direct funding from the EU anyway. They made the most of it. I came from a very poor background with absolutely nothing. Now this country has allowed me to go to Uni, travel the world, own a car, etc.

Highest quality of life on earth same with Human development index, Wealthiest people per capita in the world. For the people giving out, what would you do tommorow if you were in control?

Link? They are all running together in my head. Insomnia sucks. :(

It's in the other thread you feel tasked with manning the barricades in tonight.
    Having read your some of your posts before, i've always been impressed by your intelligence/diligence.
    From what i remember of your background, which you've had reason to allude to in some of those posts, i'm slightly perplexed by your almost obsessive interest in this topic.
    It's a pity that many people here, those with an actual stake in the outcome, are nowhere near as engaged.

Peppapig wrote: »

I'm happy with how the last 20 years has worked out for Ireland. It's not as if we're ever going to maintain any type of self sufficient economy without direct funding from the EU anyway. They made the most of it. I came from a very poor background with absolutely nothing. Now this country has allowed me to go to Uni, travel the world, own a car, etc.

Highest quality of life on earth same with Human development index, Wealthiest people per capita in the world. For the people giving out, what would you do tommorow if you were in control?

Disregard the nonsense you cited in the last part of your post; it's meaningless.
    I'm sure you've had a great time of over the last number of years and feel privileged; understandable, but unfortunately that was on credit and pay-back time has arrived.
    If you plan on living in this country from now on then you better hope that those worried about its future, complaining as you might have it, can make a significant difference and alter the course we're on.
    If they/we don't, you'll understand in time.

It's in the other thread you feel tasked with manning the barricades in tonight.
    Having read your some of your posts before, i've always been impressed by your intelligence/diligence.
    From what i remember of your background, which you've had reason to allude to in some of those posts, i'm slightly perplexed by your almost obsessive interest in this topic.
    It's a pity that many people here, those with an actual stake in the outcome, are nowhere near as engaged.

What, the gun-toting grandmas thread?

I'm an insomniac political junkie who travels a lot and so I often end up subjecting strangers on the interwebs to my ranting at 3am. When I'm at home, I prefer arguing with people in person. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

I hope it gets alot worse! Eventually we'll wake up and REALLY want change and stop just complaining and whining into out beers or cups of tea as we watch the same thing over and over on the news, watching the political game go on:
    "Fianna Fail said this"..."Fianna Gael says that" "we'll just talk until some other news comes up and everyone will quickly forget"

In 2 months nothing will have changed. Except we'll be taxed more and complain more again but we'll take it. We love getting ****ed in the ass by Fianna "FAIL". Why else would we have voted them in again last time.

When the Greeks got half the **** we have they took to the streets chanting: "We won't take it! We're not Irish"

That says it all for me. Everyone else knows we're pathetic and spineless. We should just accept that we are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. Came from a council estate, born during our last recession and i went to college, i own my own car, just bought a house this March, i got a pretty big promotion last year that made my job more secure and the only debt that i have is my mortgage that i could easily afford even if i was on the dole.

I think if you come from little/nothing you have a better idea of how to cut your cloth to measure and you realise that no matter how bad it seems, it could be a lot worse. I've always believed the Celtic Tiger was essentially a myth because borrowed money is not wealth and what we are experiencing now is the economy 'snapping back' to its actual shape.

The sun will still rise tomorrow and people will still demand goods and services and others will supply them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Stinicker wrote: »
    The time has long since passed for action against Fianna Fail which has taken one of the best performing economies in the World and put us on a par with a debt ridden 3rd world country.

For 800 long years we fought British Rule, this government has overseen the greatest robbery of wealth from the working and middle classes since the Plantations of Ireland under the British Crown.

Fianna Fail has committed Treason against the people and must be removed from office and punished harshly. They cannot be allowed to get away with this. If Ireland was under British rule today and this was happening we would more than happy to rebel and fight for our rights. We must fight these Traitors and get them out when the system of checks and balances in our democracy and constitution have failed to protect the country from the level of economic pillage.

My family before me fought for our freedom and died in the process and seeing what is happening now I would be prepared to put my life on the line and fight to remove these treasonous criminals from office. I can't emigrate and any hopes of becoming successful in life have been destroyed by these criminals and Ireland is now in the same place as we were under British occupation.

Ireland needs you,

Are you man enough?
    Why can't you emigrate? Is it because you advocate violently overthrowing governments?

Disregard the nonsense you cited in the last part of your post; it's meaningless.
    I'm sure you've had a great time of over the last number of years and feel privileged; understandable, but unfortunately that was on credit and pay-back time has arrived.
    If you plan on living in this country from now on then you better hope that those worried about its future, complaining as you might have it, can make a significant difference and alter the course we're on.
    If they/we don't, you'll understand in time.

Its not nonsence, Ireland did have the highest quality of life at one stage and HDI. How do you propose altering the course we're on. Why did the "worried about the future" do something before all this happened. I am proud of Fianna Fáíl and the country, from fecking rotten potatoes to hosting the Ryder Cup. The ride is now over.:cool:

Its not nonsence, Ireland did have the highest quality of life at one stage and HDI. How do you propose altering the course we're on. Why did the "worried about the future" do something before all this happened. I am proud of Fianna Fáíl and the country, from fecking rotten potatoes to hosting the Ryder Cup. The ride is now over.:cool:

'From fecking rotten potatoes to hosting the Ryder Cup'; that made me laugh.
    It also made me briefly reflective regarding the mindset of some people in this country; because i think you might have been serious.
    Was going to try and think of a glib response but realise i'd probably be wasting my time; that was a deeply silly post.
    If you're content to be a deeply silly person, then good luck to you.

It was a house built on sand. The problem today is that both the government and Irish citizens have debt like it's 2006, but it's 2010.

The first thing the government could do is get some of it debt off the books, i.e. let Anglo die what will be a gruesome death. Yes they will also have to cut government spending, but the next round of cuts should be squarely directed at high earners in the public sector, starting with the taoiseach and on down through the Dail. Finally, if the Irish people are going to be paying for the banks for the next 30 years, the least the government could do would be to tighten up banking regulations AND perjury AND money laundering/asset transfer regs.

I think the government should be ashamed that it did not do more to secure that there were sustainable gains from the boom. People being able to buy cars will do little to benefit the long-term productivity of the workforce (and the traffic problems in Ireland are generally a drag on quality of life, especially around Dublin). Investment in renewable energy, mass transit (on an island-wide basis) and domestic R&D would have been much wiser decisions. Not to mention that 3% unemployment is a perfect time to engage in welfare reform; if so many people had not been drawing for life when they should have been working, then the system would not be under so much strain today.

'From fecking rotten potatoes to hosting the Ryder Cup'; that made me laugh.
    It also made me briefly reflective regarding the mindset of some people in this country; because i think you might have been serious.
    Was going to try and think of a glib response but realise i'd probably be wasting my time; that was a deeply silly post.
    If you're content to be a deeply silly person, then good luck to you.

I'm obviously joking. Stop moaning and go do something about "the silly government"

I'm obviously joking. Stop moaning and go do something about "the silly government"

OK, Peppa. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Pure anarchy is great craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

Just out of curiosity but who are the retards who in the irish times polls or indeed the poll in this thread that keep voting for fianna fail?

This country is in a right mess-we really should kill off the current government. Permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've already starting "fighting the power" by refusing to pay back my bank loan -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I've already starting "fighting the power" by refusing to pay back my bank loan -
    Don't worry about it, when the keyboard warriors here finally rise up against our oppressive overlords there won't be any banks left to pay your loan back to. Then again, there won't be much of a country left either but hey, why let logic get in the way of a good rabble. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I personally believe every last member of our current Government and some from the last (Bertie you boll*x) should be lined up and shot, and i mean every word of that. They are traitors. Unfortunately it will never happen and these cu*ts will get off scot free. I even think FF will win the next election because they have idiots who always vote for them! Those people should also be shot.

It disgusts me to think how they have squandered the wealth of a so called Celtic Tiger. Collins and Connolly must be spinning in their graves at the thoughts of how we have allowed this country to become a joke, the EU now has a final say in all our finance matters, and its all the Govs fault that they are a shower of incompetent fu*ks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

What a dumb ****ing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Naomh

pwd wrote: »
    Why can't you emigrate? Is it because you advocate violently overthrowing governments?

No, its because he has to stand up to the anti-Kerry GAA conspiracy :rolleyes:

Post #10

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056037522

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Naomh

Ireland had gained much much more from the EU than the EU has benefitted from our membership. Leaving the EU is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. The decisions that have left us where we are were made were by bad and reckless bankers who had the last 3 governments in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

CorkMan wrote: »
    Can I be the one to assassinate Brian Cowen? I am handy with an S-1 Sniper Rifle with a beam on top.
    If the Garda Security Branch needs information about this poster, please get in touch with hello@boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

nudist wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity but who are the retards who in the irish times polls or indeed the poll in this thread that keep voting for fianna fail?

This country is in a right mess-we really should kill off the current government. Permanently.

Are you seriously implying that refusing to take part in an armed revolt is the same as voting for Fianna Fail?

Also, I think the comparisons between our current situation and British rule are quite worrying. Fianna Fail were democratically elected FFS. We can vote them out in the next election. The whole point of British rule is that we didn't have a choice!!

Current government was democratically elected. Just vote them out.

The Irish people really have nobody to blame but themselves for this state of affairs. Politicians - while they are deceitful, scummy little rodents - ultimately get power from the people and nowhere else.

How about taking a bit of responsibility for once, Ireland? You can't keep blaming others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

"oh my god thats so wrong"
    "ridiculous"
    "get a life OP"
    "so pathetic"
    ":rolleyes:"

You people are ****ING USELESS!!!!:mad:

OP, I know you can't move now but try your best in the future. People here are absolutely crap at any kind of protest and standing up for themeslves and always will be. Better to get to a new country, make a decent life for yourself and let the moaners get bum raped by the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Wagon wrote: »
    "oh my god thats so wrong"
    "ridiculous"
    "get a life OP"
    "so pathetic"
    ":rolleyes:"

You people are ****ING USELESS!!!!:mad:

OP, I know you can't move now but try your best in the future. People here are absolutely crap at any kind of protest and standing up for themeslves and always will be. Better to get to a new country, make a decent life for yourself and let the moaners get bum raped by the future.

Yeah, no doubt the dream is to live in a country where there are armed revolts against democratically elected Governments instead of just waiting the year or so to vote them out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement