Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In leaving cert and still undecided

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    would expect 200 points, I have an iq of 130+)

:rolleyes: Being good at IQ tests is just a sign of........being good at IQ tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Well said Spurious. I think it is a shame the way that students are pressurised into going into courses that they don't even want just because they are going to get the courses...

Some of the students I see going into medicine are great people, don't get me wrong, they are brilliant, anybody who gets >500 points is brilliant, but I ask myself, if I knew these people in real life, would I want them operating on me?

And unfortunately, for the most part, the answer is No.

If you really want to see what are the doctors of the future, my suggestion is go into RCSI in Stephens Green!!! You will actually come out going :eek:

One girl there has failed first year twice. The rule of the college is fail ANY year twice and out you go, but nope, daddy is well to do and there are other rumours circulating too about her reasons for getting to do the year again, and they are well founded!

Ireland needs smart teens that want to be docs. So anyone here half decent is an asset to the medical community.

And yes nursing and medicine are 2 entirely different careers.

Medicine, you have to be able for snap decisions and to be able to handle yourself and other well under pressure, it is YOU who tries to keep a person alive. If you make a decision that costs someone there life then it is you that has to live with that.

Nurses are caretakers, they have to look after bandages, wash invalid patients, look after all their excretory needs, be their confidents, their maids and their nannies! Also you have very little say and must obey the decisions of doctors!

They are completely different careers though both based on the care of humans!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Nurses are caretakers, they have to look after bandages, wash invalid patients, look after all their excretory needs, be their confidents, their maids and their nannies! Also you have very little say and must obey the decisions of doctors!

That's a serious underestimation of the work that nurses do.

Untrained workers can do all what you have just described. What about nurses who administer medicine? Take blood pressure? Actually notice that something is wrong with a patient, and then if required seek further assistance? Nurses may not have the same level of medical training as doctors, but they are still medical professionals, not homehelps.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    If you really want to see what are the doctors of the future, my suggestion is go into RCSI in Stephens Green!!! You will actually come out going :eek:

One girl there has failed first year twice. The rule of the college is fail ANY year twice and out you go, but nope, daddy is well to do and there are other rumours circulating too about her reasons for getting to do the year again, and they are well founded!

Ireland needs smart teens that want to be docs. So anyone here half decent is an asset to the medical community.

And yes nursing and medicine are 2 entirely different careers.

Medicine, you have to be able for snap decisions and to be able to handle yourself and other well under pressure, it is YOU who tries to keep a person alive. If you make a decision that costs someone there life then it is you that has to live with that.

They are completely different careers though both based on the care of humans!
    That's a very condescending view of nurses. Nurses are health professionals too. They perform a valuable job and are an indispensible member of the hospital staff. To call them merely 'caretakers' suggests you either don't know any, or have never seen them at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder how many people apply for or consider medicine because they will get the points rather than an actual desire or aptitude for it.

I wonder how many of the Medicine applicants have Nursing in their top 5 CAO choices, or is it all Law/Pharmacy/Dentistry/Vet?

I often wonder this myself. I interviewed an awful lot of these students on the ag science assessment this year. I usually have a bit of chit chat with the student at the end of the interview asking them what they would like to do in college etc. By the end of the week I felt like handing out a multiple choice questionnaire. Please tick the course(s) you have applied for on the CAO : Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary and to a lesser extent Law. I also got quite a bit of 'Medicine in Trinity' as if that should have any bearing on their future career. I didn't once hear 'I'd like to help people, I want to work in a hospital, I work weekend's at the local vets and I go round with him when he's going out to farms' I met one girl who told me she was going for Veterinary. So I asked her if she had a farm/pets/worked at a vet's practice/kennels/experience with animals etc, just making small talk. None of the above was the answer. So I asked her why she was going for veterinary, and she didn't really have an answer, not even 'I LOVE ANIMALS!!!!' type answer, it was just meh, i like animals, and I just felt like saying watching Pet Rescue is a lot different from pulling a calf at 3 in the morning.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

soup1 wrote: »
    WOW. . .thats one of the most stupid statements i have ever seen on boards.ie And 200 points in the H Pat ? Good luck with that mate! At least you have confidence :)
    200+ in the HPAT is certainly achievable. A guy I'm living with right now in Trinity got 230.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

200+ in the HPAT is certainly achievable. A guy I'm living with right now in Trinity got 230.
    I think the highest score was 223?
    Anyway, anything over 200 is well into the 99th percentile. That's in the top 1% of people who think they can get into medicine. I wouldn't bank on getting that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

Ciaramb92:
    STOP defending yourself, you sound very determined. You will get there will work and luck- Bonne chance
    Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    What I mean is you have a degree in Actuarial Maths/Finance/Science or whichever and you don't have much options other than numbers and an office type job.

With medicine there are so many things I could go into within the hospital.

Advertisement