Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy on lead!

Options
  • 30-09-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

so a few weeks ago i got a new puppy she was 10 weeks at the time 14 weeks now!
    since ive got her ive tried and tried to get her used to the lead and harness and she just refuses to move on it even if i put the other dog on the lead to try encourage her it doesn't work. she's not very interested in treats so they don't work to motivate her to move
    and now she fully vac i tried out of the garden and it just a no goer, ive been doing it for 4 weeks and she refuses to move!

does any one have an tips! if i take her off it she runs around like wild but obviously i want to get her used to the lead not many places i can have her off any ways!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have you tried just clipping the lead onto her and letting it drag behind while you play in the garden or around the house. You could even just start with a light piece of string until she is used to something being attached to her. Is it the harness or lead she is frightened of? If it is the harness you could try using a different one or a plain collar. One thing not to encoarage is playing with the lead unless you want a dog that loves to jump trying to snatch the lead out of your hands while you walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

ive tired both collar and harness opps forgot to mention that she disagrees with both even if i just have one or the other on in the house she just walks to her bed and lies down and wont get out untill i take it off!
    ill try the string! but i have a feeling it could be the collar or the harness may be making her feel restricted its on loosely enough but not to loose (ive tired a few different ways)
    she is very small (runt of the litter) im going to bring her to the park every day and hopefully eventually she will get used to seeing the other dogs on the lead and get used to it but its been four weeks! ( only one week of witch i can take her to the park) she's just being very stubborn it seems and ive had many dogs and never experienced this before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My Jack was like that as a puppy, she would either sit down and refuse to move or she would bunny hop ahead of me. She was (and still is tiny) so I felt awful trying to pull her around when she so clearly didn't enjoy it.

We worked on her by gentle tugs to get her close and rewarding her everytime she walked well. It took ages though and even now after a lot of training her heelwork leaves a lot to be desired :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 aidcor

did u try using ham or chick as a treat? or find something that your dog goes crazy for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

You mention that she's very small, could the collar and harness be too heavy around her neck/body? Are you using puppy collars? It's a bit like you wearing a heavy piece of jewellery around your neck if you weren't used to wearing jewellery. If it's the sensation around her neck she doesn't like start off tying a piece of ribbon around her neck and rewarding her when she ignores it, then start putting a light puppy collar on her.

• Advertisement

yes have a pup collar and harness both designed for dogs under 2kg! ill try ribbon this evening just dont want to hurt her so i dont pull her i want her to want to walk and not think of it as a bad time!

she has no interest in meat of any sort when it comes in human form! (weird i know) she just avoids or spits it out! (shes a yorkie there pretty pickie eaters!)

its just the fact she doesnt move full stop im worried!! she is nearly 4 mopnths and i dont like taki9ng her out and end up holding her in my hand! and the other dogs off having fun! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Get someone to hold her hind legs up off the ground while you're walking her. Just a few steps at a time, she wont be able to help but walk using the front legs and then let them down and continue walking. It might take a while but it definitely works.

**Vai** wrote: »
    Get someone to hold her hind legs up off the ground while you're walking her. Just a few steps at a time, she wont be able to help but walk using the front legs and then let them down and continue walking. It might take a while but it definitely works.

sorry i dont understand what you mean hold her back legs up as in crawl on the ground with her she has fairly week bones and i dont want to hurt her! she was the runt of a litter so she is tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

i have a small terrier, 3 1/2 months old..couldnt get him to walk on the lead, he'd just put his bum down and refuse to move. i tried him on the flexi lead and its a totally different situation, he happily runs along beside me

thanks may try that didnt want to get her into the habit of long lead till i have her good on a short one but to get her used to it ill try that thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can i ask a question, do you carry her around much?

andreac wrote: »
    Can i ask a question, do you carry her around much?

nope hardly ever she gets picked up for a cuddle with the other dog as she to small to get up on the sofa or the bed but other then that no didnt want her to become a "purse puppy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have you tried just attaching the lead to the collar at home? Some people I know swear by doing that until the pup gets used to it. You can always work on walking to heel at a later stage.

kylith wrote: »
    Have you tried just attaching the lead to the collar at home? Some people I know swear by doing that until the pup gets used to it. You can always work on walking to heel at a later stage.

yes being doing it since ive got her i think she will get used to seeing the other dogs in the park eventually i just dont want to pick her up in the park hopefully ill get it over the weekend cause ill have longer and this is the first weekend she can get out!
    thanks guys for all the good advice going to give all of it a go over the W/end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Had the same problem with my pup. This is what I did and it worked for me.
    Day one that I brought her home put collar on and haven’t taken it off (except for baths).
    Got her used to following me by walking around house and garden and kinda ignoring her, she will automatically follow you. I done this when I couldn’t take her out.
    Find out what she loves – this is very important (for mine it was chicken but some dogs like balls or a toy but all dogs have something). (Food works better when she is really hungry.)
    For about an half hour before walk attach lead, let her smell it before putting it on and let her get used to it but don’t let her bite it.
    Open your door walk out first, see will she follow, if she does then praise and reward her, if she doesn’t then try and entice her with food/toy. Then walk a step or two but don’t have the leash tight keep it loose. Then entice/reward and just keep doing it. every time she takes a step or two reward her. It can be tedious but after a while shell get used to it. Don’t worry about trying to keep her by your side just try and get her brain moving forward. When she gets into walking you will see her ears go back then just look forward and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Walk your other dog in front of her, about 10 to 15 feet. Get some one else to hold the puppy lead. With you walking the other dog and verbally encouraging her should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

sophie1234 wrote: »
    sorry i dont understand what you mean hold her back legs up as in crawl on the ground with her she has fairly week bones and i dont want to hurt her! she was the runt of a litter so she is tiny

U wont hurt her, all you're doing is holding her hind legs up which forces her to use her front legs which engages her brain to move forward. U dont need to crawl with her, why would u crawl??

thanks guys for all the tips finally got her going today she walked the whole pier and she was delighted what worked was an extended lead and me walking ahead she just began to follow!

thanks everyone for the tips :-)

Advertisement