Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop wifi keeps disconnecting while uploading or downloading large files

• 30-09-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭

I have UPC 15Mb broadband with the provided Cisco router. Whenever I am uploading or downloading large files or a number of files the upload or download will stop and any webpages I have open will disconnect with message Server Not Found - Try Again. The internet icon in the systray will say that I am connected but it is necessary to disconnect and reconnect to get going again. Some uploads will resume from where they left off, but others must be started again from scratch. This is hugely frustrating. Surprisingly my phone which is sitting beside the laptop will not have lost connectivity, which leads me to believe the problem is with the laptop rather than the wireless connection.

Anyone any ideas what might be causing this or what I can do to fix it.

I have emailed UPC, although I'm not sure its their issue, but they don't answer the emails anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Its the cisco modem itself. Only solution is to buy a router and bridge the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

shuyin1 wrote: »
    Its the cisco modem itself. Only solution is to buy a router and bridge the two.

I have a Netgear from my DSL time. Will this work, and if so how do I bridge the two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No good, as DSL modem shouldn't be used. You need a router. The bridge setting is in the Cisco modem, somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

I don't see why I should have have to buy an extra router when I am paying UPC for a service that they are not providing

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nightowl

I don't see why I should have have to buy an extra router when I am paying UPC for a service that they are not providing

That Cisco router that UPC provides is "mickey mouse" I had the same problem for weeks and it was starting to drive me insane! Buy and nrouter and bridge it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68331762#post68331762

• Advertisement
Advertisement