Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Streetview and shooters

Options
  • 30-09-2010 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Is anyone here going to ask google to remove images of their homes from streetview as it may be a possible security risk?

Am I being overly paranoid? In view of the way papers report court cases about firearms I think it is wise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Not unless the satelite has an X-Ray capacity :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe if it was possible to see security weaknesses from the images, but it's hard to see what more harm it could do that walking past the house wouldn't have already done (and with over 90% of burglaries being opportunistic, and the remaining 10% being preplanned anyway...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Am I being overly paranoid?

Yep, I think so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I don't think you're being paranoid, rather, proactive.

Fair enough, you cannot see anymore on Google than you could from a car passing by. However, now, criminals may easily go online and find their targets.

Instead of having to physically go to a location, they may now find targets online.

Why waste the time, effort, and money to drive around looking for an isolated target? Why see how far that home is from the Gardai? Just google it and you can do it all from the safety of your own home!

Now criminals won't have to worry about being seen casing the neighbourhood or getting pulled by the Gardai.

Sorry lads, I don't see how this is going to help deter criminals or be crimeinal neutral. I see this as a tool from which criminals will benefit.

Zoom out a bit and you can easily see escape routes and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

first thing i done was check my house naturally :D

and there was loads of my neighbors car number plates visible
    too i'll tell them in the morning :D

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    Instead of having to physically go to a location, they may now find targets online.
    In which case they need to know where to search.
    On top of which the pictures (in my part of the woods) are at least a year old...
    Zoom out a bit and you can easily see escape routes and all.
    Which any decent street map sold by easons would do as well... and would be more up-to-date to boot...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

True to a point...BUT criminals will soon discover that technology isnt the be all and end all either.As are many 3letter agencies around the World,with huge budgets and manpower,who cant find one very tall bearded lad from Saudai who likes cammo jackets and has the odd kidney problem.;):rolleyes:
    Humint [Human intelligence] will still top Elenit[Electronic intelligence] in 80% of the cases.Yes satellite photography might tell you a lot,but it doesnt tell you wether your doors are alarmed and/or where the safe is,or wether that goat herd is actually a courier for himself in a cave in Afghanistan..It also aids YOU to know where your weak points are...
    As Sparks said a good drive /walk by will get you alot more than google will.Dont sweat it too much on the criminal side of things,I'd be more concerned on the privacy side of things.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

About a month after the google streetview car wheezed down our road, up came my house with our cars showing their license plates in clear view.

I got onto the Google Earth site and asked them to either mask or remove the image, in accordance with their own self-imposed rules of operation.

The following day it had been done.

tac

Mind you, I'm not sure what secret they're protecting here! :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=129528&stc=1&d=1285946405

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sparks wrote: »

attachment.php?attachmentid=129528&stc=1&d=1285946405

It reads - 'The Heart of Shooting in Ireland' - hardly surprising really, given the name of the place as 'Midlands National Shooting Centre of Ireland'.

Just shows ya what a bunch of ****ers the Google Earth editors are.

tac

• Advertisement

Anything visible on Google Street View is visible from a public place. I don't see the issue. If it were an issue, we'd send recon people out the door ahead of us, guns brought out of gun shops would only be done in the dead of night under the supervision of someone with a thermal imaging camera.

Seriously. Relax, enjoy life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

johngalway wrote: »
    If it were an issue, we'd send recon people out the door ahead of us

You mean you don't??:eek:

:D

Kramer wrote: »
    You mean you don't??:eek:

:D

I like to live dangerously :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Anything visible on Google Street View is visible from a public place. I don't see the issue. If it were an issue, we'd send recon people out the door ahead of us, guns brought out of gun shops would only be done in the dead of night under the supervision of someone with a thermal imaging camera.

Seriously. Relax, enjoy life :D

I see an issue John. I think i have the right let alone think i should be asked if someone could display my property or personal belongings or even me for their gain or profit it whatever way it comes.

If i took a pic of you and sold it for lots of dosh then i think you could claim some of it if you hadnt been paid for it (model release)? So i think the minimum is we should be asked and if we say no then that means no for whatever reason.

Google arent spending millions on this for yours and my benefit, unless someone can enlighten me what it is all about.?

fodda wrote: »
    I see an issue John. I think i have the right let alone think i should be asked if someone could display my property or personal belongings or even me for their gain or profit it whatever way it comes.
    You might think so; but under Irish law you do not, unless the photo is of you personally and being used for commercial gain directly (ie. being sold as stock footage or whatever). And if it is you, you have the right to get yourself blurred out of the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Me and the young lad appear on it, we were out shooting and he had just shot a crow, our faces are blurred and the car reg but if you know us you'd know it was us!!! Famous at last!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

You might think so; but under Irish law you do not, unless the photo is of you personally and being used for commercial gain directly (ie. being sold as stock footage or whatever). And if it is you, you have the right to get yourself blurred out of the image.

My Brother was enraged by it, no privacy, and not current.
    my house has been upgraded since thankfully, however you can see into our yard.

You can see into the hay shed and see how much hay we had last April when i reckon the image was taken.

The father says to me, it's like spying!

Farmers as is are watched for the purposes of area aid etc from the sky, now spying into our yard says my Da, what's next?

I could post the houses of many people on here as I know there addresses, however is it morally right to publish peoples property without there consent?

I got an earful on here for posting a pic of someone else's rifle once.

if i posted a persons house "i would feel" i would have been morally wrong.

If google update this street craic on a regular basis, it's akin to CCTV on your house and life!!

Morality and Irish law are at best very distant cousins...

Morality and Irish law are at best very distant cousins...

Well I "try" to have morals, and do as I say, not as others do.

It makes spying to easy, If I know someones address in kerry, Donegal or Dublin, I actually have to drive down there road to check out there house, Now I can check there house out from my mobile phone.

I'm worried for mankind, is this a step too far?
    If a crim knows what i drive, and a rough idea where I live he can figure out where I live from the comfort of his own home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I'll tell ya what's next, taxes.

Wait until they bring back some form of property tax in Ireland. Then you'll see the gov't weenies using these tools to get yet more dosh out of us.

This happened in California where people are in effect penalized for home improvements. Put in a new pool, f*** you pay me. New deck f*** you pay me. New windows f*** you pay me... [Yes, a GoodFellas reference]

The town weenies went on google Earth and found everyone in town that had a pool that had somehow forgot to pay their taxes.
    In which case they need to know where to search.
    Which any decent street map sold by easons would do as well... and would be more up-to-date to boot...

Fair points Sparks, however, what I was trying to get at is that they do not need to know anything or go anywhere. They can just get online and find a nice looking soft target at ease.

They used to have to go to an area and pick the target. Picking the target is now much easier - from the comfort of your own home.

As for the street map, they'd have to buy a fair share of them to cover the area google maps does! Also, you cannot literally see what's there. Google maps, you can see everything at the back, behind those bushes that block your view from the road.

• Advertisement

fodda wrote: »

If i took a pic of you and sold it for lots of dosh then i think you could claim some of it if you hadnt been paid for it (model release)? So i think the minimum is we should be asked and if we say no then that means no for whatever reason.

Google arent spending millions on this for yours and my benefit, unless someone can enlighten me what it is all about.?

When the photo is taken from a public place there is diddly squat you can do about it. RTE would be sued every other day if your argument was the case.

Talking about a photo of me personally is changing the entire argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

tac foley wrote: »
    It reads - 'The Heart of Shooting in Ireland' - hardly surprising really, given the name of the place as 'Midlands National Shooting Centre of Ireland'.

Just shows ya what a bunch of ****ers the Google Earth editors are.

tac

It might not have been done manually.
    It's possible that the automatic system recognised the word "SHOOTING" as a mixture of letters and numbers as in a car number plate, if it took the letters O and I as numbers 0 and 1.
    The same word in the upper line was not written in capital letters so it would not have looked like a number plate.

FISMA wrote: »
    I'll tell ya what's next, taxes.
    Wait until they bring back some form of property tax in Ireland. Then you'll see the gov't weenies using these tools to get yet more dosh out of us.
    Not taxes, social welfare.
    The town weenies went on google Earth and found everyone in town that had a pool that had somehow forgot to pay their taxes.
    And in Ireland where satellite imagery showed up dummy sheep used to cheat on EU grants...
    Fair points Sparks, however, what I was trying to get at is that they do not need to know anything or go anywhere. They can just get online and find a nice looking soft target at ease.
    How do you think they do it at the moment?
    Google maps, you can see everything at the back, behind those bushes that block your view from the road.
    No, you can see everything that those bushes did not block from the road (the car doesn't go into private areas), 18 months ago or so.
    Besides, if you think you're not on camera now anyway, you're probably wrong - we're not as bad as the UK, but we're trying to be. At least you can declare yourself off-limits to Google Streetview...

...but just think of the positives here for a moment. Want to advertise where your range is to a newbie? Worried they won't recognise the place?

129562.png

Sorted.

And in Ireland where satellite imagery showed up dummy sheep used to cheat on EU grants...

Link :confused:
    How do you think they do it at the moment?

Well, on the hills North of the N59, they ordered all farmers to gather all of their stock off the hills on November 3rd 2009. They then sent teams of inspectors, in twos, around to all of those farms. During that time they flew two helicopters and one fixed wing aircraft to inspect the same hills. So there isn't really anywhere to hide anything now, unless North Korea are exporting underground bunker building technicians. But I don't think even the SFP cheque could cover that outlay.

Anybody spot the pyebald down the road from rathdrum !!:D

And is that Galvanize or Asbestos on the roof of RRPC ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Well I "try" to have morals, and do as I say, not as others do.

It makes spying to easy, If I know someones address in kerry, Donegal or Dublin, I actually have to drive down there road to check out there house, Now I can check there house out from my mobile phone.

I'm worried for mankind, is this a step too far?
    If a crim knows what i drive, and a rough idea where I live he can figure out where I live from the comfort of his own home

FFS!
    Google make their money by selling advertising both directly and indirectly. The higher the number of people that visit their site and other sites via their search engine, the more they earn. Give people what they want and they will come to you. Make it free and they will come in droves.

All that aerial stuff has been available for years, so why the fuss now?
    A house I stay in down in Kerry is so blurred it is not recognizable, the photo is more than four years old and it is not on “Google View.” My mate’s place in Meath is there, equally blurred, photo is more than four years old and it is not on “Google View”, ( the new pen we built a few years ago is not there.)

As for Fisma’s comment on swimming pools, a pool needs planning permission, so it can be traced that way. Aerial surveys have been done for years, Sat photos were used in Italy years ago to count olive trees to stop fraudulent grant abuse. In Ireland, how do you think NTR gets car numbers for toll evaders? Number recognition is just as easily done by a roadside camera to see who is going where and when. The Brits were using it in N Irl for decades.

I am far more concerned about the possible loss of my wallet, with a gun license in it – that shows me, my address, my gun make and the number of cartridges I may have.
    Now that is worrying.
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I got my house removed from it. All done in 24 hours.

Link :confused:
    Can't find one; I'm talking about the hullabaloo back in '01 when OLAF found that large herds of sheep were being driven from farm to farm for nefarious purposes relating to EU subsidies. I seem to remember (and no, I'm not mixing it up with Ballykissangel) one farmer having dummy animals in his fields, spotted because of two identical satellite photos a month apart where the 'animals' hadn't moved....

I am far more concerned about the possible loss of my wallet, with a gun license in it – that shows me, my address, my gun make and the number of cartridges I may have.
    Now that is worrying.
    P.

Yep, a far larger concern for me as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement