Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Streetview and shooters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Haddockman wrote: »
    I got my house removed from it. All done in 24 hours.

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Click report issues on the bottom left of the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    Can't find one; I'm talking about the hullabaloo back in '01 when OLAF found that large herds of sheep were being driven from farm to farm for nefarious purposes relating to EU subsidies. I seem to remember (and no, I'm not mixing it up with Ballykissangel) one farmer having dummy animals in his fields, spotted because of two identical satellite photos a month apart where the 'animals' hadn't moved....

I know two farmers that had a rep out as there boundary ditch disappeared from one field!!
    I still think Big Brother is not my cúpan tae!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

TBH lads.I had a look at my area on both satellite and Google street view,and I can safley say I'm not worried about anyone using it as an up to date surveillance tool.The car must have been around about two years ago.As all the local election posters are up!:D.The satellite imagery is over five years old,as I can make out a car I had bought seven years ago and sold four years ago..Even a neighbours house is still being built!!
    Not to mind that some satellite imagery of Ireland is just DIRE!!:eek: The resolution of the picture is so blurred you couldnt make out anything at extreme closeup.Reason?It was taken in the early 1980s!!!
    IOW it is about as useful as a leaky bucket for bailing out a boat.Depending how leaky the bucket is...:p
    Big Bro might be getting here,but he has awhile to go just yet here!:D

Would be more worried in the next census ,that some bright spark tried like in the US last year,to include your GPS location of your house when they handed out the census form.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

johngalway wrote: »
    Link :confused:

Actually, thanks to Google it is very easy ;);)
    From link http://www.audgen.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?Userlang=GA&DocID=527&StartDate=01+January+2010

Where would we be without it!!:D:D:D

Inspection procedures
    Department staff carried out inspections of almost 77,000 applications under the 1997 schemes. Around 15% of cattle scheme applications and 24% of sheep scheme applications were inspected. Around 5% of tillage scheme applications were verified either by means of on-farm inspection or by examination of satellite photography. B the vast majority of the cases inspected, the applications were found to be in order.
    Inspectors recontirnended the imposition of penalties in relation to around 3,700 (5%) of the 1997 livestock cases inspected. In over 900 of those cases, including nearly half of the sheep cases, the inspectors concluded that the applicant had been seriously negligent in making the application or had made a fraudulent application. As a result, the inspectors recommended that the applicant be barred from the scheme concerned for one or two years.

Rs,
    P.

• Advertisement

Link :confused:

From link http://www.audgen.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?Userlang=GA&DocID=527&StartDate=01+January+2010

Inspection procedures
    Department staff carried out inspections of almost 77,000 applications under the 1997 schemes. Around 15% of cattle scheme applications and 24% of sheep scheme applications were inspected. Around 5% of tillage scheme applications were verified either by means of on-farm inspection or by examination of satellite photography. B the vast majority of the cases inspected, the applications were found to be in order.
    Inspectors recontirnended the imposition of penalties in relation to around 3,700 (5%) of the 1997 livestock cases inspected. In over 900 of those cases, including nearly half of the sheep cases, the inspectors concluded that the applicant had been seriously negligent in making the application or had made a fraudulent application. As a result, the inspectors recommended that the applicant be barred from the scheme concerned for one or two years.

Rs,
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Haddockman wrote: »
    I got my house removed from it. All done in 24 hours.

I think the question should be why?

If you are trying to hide something you just stand out even more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Inspection procedures

Rs,
    P.

Cheers P. That's a stupid craic to be at, bound to be caught out now with all the different checks.

Cheers P. That's a stupid craic to be at, bound to be caught out now with all the different checks.

it was Joe Walsh era, pre sheep tagging introduction. tagging eliminated a lot of messing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The technology is certainly open to abuse, both by the State and by criminals.

It differs to the previous overhead satellite imagery in that the car mounted camera allows one to look over many walls and fences - more than one would see by just walking past.

As a tool for everyday people, I don't see what benefit it serves, certainly no benefits that outweigh the disadvantages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Anybody spot the pyebald down the road from rathdrum !!:D

And is that Galvanize or Asbestos on the roof of RRPC ;)
    Asbestos. Perfectly safe Tack, unless you start cutting it up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Street view is great!, I use it all the time for travel to other countries.

rrpc wrote: »
    Asbestos. Perfectly safe Tack, unless you start cutting it up :eek:

Cost yee a feckin fortune to get rid if you ever want to do up the roof.
    ;)

Cost yee a feckin fortune to get rid if you ever want to do up the roof.
    ;)
    Not particularly. We've had quotes to replace the roof, and the removal is a small enough fraction of the cost.

Granted if removal was the only thing we were doing, it would be a bit more expensive, but you don't remove a roof without replacing it. :rolleyes:

Not particularly. We've had quotes to replace the roof, and the removal is a small enough fraction of the cost.

Granted if removal was the only thing we were doing, it would be a bit more expensive, but you don't remove a roof without replacing it. :rolleyes:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/environmental-protection/asbestos_regulations

much cheaper replace regular tin roofs with claddding than asbestos!

It becomes fiberous over the years of weathering, eventually the Greens will clamp down on it and make everyone remove it.

Ironic that it was regulation to install it in the 50's-70's.
    The joys of Google street!
    Now the Greens can spy on us all!!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/environmental-protection/asbestos_regulations

much cheaper replace regular tin roofs with claddding than asbestos!
    :confused: You can't use asbestos any more, so cost doesn't enter into it.
    It becomes fiberous over the years of weathering, eventually the Greens will clamp down on it and make everyone remove it.
    That'd be great! They'd have to pay for it then, the same way that they have to grant aid retrofitting insulation to current standards. :D

:confused: You can't use asbestos any more, so cost doesn't enter into it.

That'd be great! They'd have to pay for it then, the same way that they have to grant aid retrofitting insulation to current standards. :D

I think in a round about way I have proved my point, this street view thingy is bad news.

I can spy on people from miles away.
    I have never been in Rathdrum in my life, and yet I can snoop around undetected, looking at all the facilities in the village

Burgulars could do the same, look for weakspots in security etc.
    The concept of spying on ones neighbors is in my opinion; is an invasion of privacy.

And if there was no google street view the whole issue of asbestos would never have surfaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

They could also just drive past surely?

civdef wrote: »
    They could also just drive past surely?

Most crims are cout as they were seen in the area prior "casing the joint"

This way they could case the joint without being seen!

If google do this street thing oft5en, you actually get to build up a profile on someone, as all the data is there and you have all the time in the world to take note of things!

Like a Pyebald on the long acre outside rathdrum village ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Most criminals are caught because they admit it to someone.

The level of data provided by streetview is less than would be given by a drive past, and is at least 18 months out of date to boot.

This is not a security risk, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

And if there was no google street view the whole issue of asbestos would never have surfaced.
    You didn't know it was abestos, you had to ask.

And so what? It's not illegal to have as a roofing material and is perfectly harmless in that state.

As for it being a tool for would-be burglars; seriously? The data is out of date by the time it goes up, and there's no knowing when it'll be updated again. It must be a very costly exercise to run, so I doubt they'll be sending their vans around on a regular basis. What sort of 'profile' could you possibly gain from this?

The only data that would be any use to criminals is how a particular house looks from a drive by, it doesn't tell you the movements of people in the house or if there's an alarm to any degree of certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

Like a Pyebald on the long acre outside rathdrum village ;)[/QUOTE]
    I'd put money it was out side rathnew;)

Like a Pyebald on the long acre outside rathdrum village ;)
    I'd put money it was out side rathnew;)[/QUOTE]

I can't find the exact location now as there is no flash on this PC.
    It was a black and white alrite, around 15hands ;)

Where did you get that bit of info?? It is my understanding that the roofing material is primarily cement with some asbestos in it and the only way it can degrade is by soaking it in strong acid..... I know it is off topic, but .....
    P.

Where did you get that bit of info?? It is my understanding that the roofing material is primarily cement with some asbestos in it and the only way it can degrade is by soaking it in strong acid..... I know it is off topic, but .....
    P.

Watched a doc on it, it was around the time Christy Hennessy passed away.
    In the 50/60's farmer had to put it in sheds to stop condensation in dairy's.

All concrete degrades over time, acid rain and all that. Or just old fashioned erosion, lime being leeched out of it.

so the run off of the roof goes into gutter, then into the drain, some invariably will be splashed off the soak hole and when the rain stops the fibers can be blown by the breeze.

Don't quiz me on this now, as I am only reciting from memory.

It could be a big problem for small farmers as all the sheds built in the 50's/60's used to lash the stuff up.

Some fire regulations in the 70's stipulated that if you had a garage under your house roof your ceiling had to have asbestos!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

civdef wrote: »
    The level of data provided by streetview is less than would be given by a drive past, and is at least 18 months out of date to boot.

This is not a security risk, in my opinion.

+1

The way I look at it is: if Google Street View makes you less secure then odds are you have crap security. Relying on people not being able to see stuff from a public road isn't security, it's wishful thinking.

The images it has for my place are from May/June last year and are exactly what thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) of people see "live" every day.

The junkies who shoot up within 100m of my home are more of a threat than Google Street View and to be honest I don't really worry about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I can spy on people from miles away.
    No, you can't.
    You can look at photos from four months ago.
    You could do that in Google Maps already (there's an option to add in webcams and uploaded photos into Maps).
    That's taking the mickey tack, it really is.

Watched a doc on it, it was around the time Christy Hennessy passed away.
    In the 50/60's farmer had to put it in sheds to stop condensation in dairy's.

All concrete degrades over time, acid rain and all that. Or just old fashioned erosion, lime being leeched out of it.

so the run off of the roof goes into gutter, then into the drain, some invariably will be splashed off the soak hole and when the rain stops the fibers can be blown by the breeze.

Don't quiz me on this now, as I am only reciting from memory.

It could be a big problem for small farmers as all the sheds built in the 50's/60's used to lash the stuff up.

Some fire regulations in the 70's stipulated that if you had a garage under your house roof your ceiling had to have asbestos!

That bit in bold just underscores the 'merit' of the rest of the post. :rolleyes:
    P.

Sparks wrote: »
    No, you can't.
    You can look at photos from four months ago.
    You could do that in Google Maps already (there's an option to add in webcams and uploaded photos into Maps).

That's taking the mickey tack, it really is.

Not really Sparks.
    As I had never been in rathdrum to date this was a handy way of seeing the place, albeit last year!

If I wanted a good map I'd go onto the CIA website anyway, there data is topclass, they know more about Ireland than we do!

• Advertisement

That bit in bold just underscores the 'merit' of the rest of the post. :rolleyes:
    P.

My memory is reasonably good, I have done a fair bit of study of toxins as part of my job so I always take an interest in Doc's on said subject.

+ a friend of mine has a business in the UK taking down the stuff, maybe it's just scare mongering, maybe there is truth in it!

Either way I'd prefer not to take the chance and end up with my lungs in bits, however we are going seriously off thread here!

I was more interested in the Pyebald outside the Village :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement