Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jailbroken Ps3??

Options
  • 30-09-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Here's a question for anyone who can answer it. if the ps3 is jailbroken will we be able to sell it on adverts.ie like the iphone? it appears to me that "jailbroken" does not mean hacked even though the end result is the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Good question.. There's one for sale on Adverts right now, I guess that'll be a test case, although it does mention the BM. There was an advert for just a dongle but it was removed, although he gave his email address..

If it's jailbreak-able there shouldn't be any problem. Just including the device might be the issue.

Just my oppinion..

EDIT: Ha, just noticed what time I posted this at.. Creepy! If you had a dongle that was flashed with psgroove that didn't have BM enabled, there wouldn't be a problem, since BM isn't there for piracy concerns. Although you can just use one of the ports for ipods etc but I doubt that'd be included in the sale, hence jailbreak-able..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I would imagine the PS3 itself could be sold on Adverts, as the exploit isn't tied to the console (lost on reboot), as long as it's not sold with the USB board. It's the same as a jtag'able 360 isn't it really, both vulnerable but currently unexploited.

The boards themselves? I suppose they could be allowed if sold as usb development boards & not bundled with any software (hex's or BM etc). Clones on the other hand are advertised explicitly though as PS3 exploit boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EnterNow wrote: »
    I would imagine the PS3 itself could be sold on Adverts, as the exploit isn't tied to the console (lost on reboot), as long as it's not sold with the USB board. It's the same as a jtag'able 360 isn't it really, both vulnerable but currently unexploited.

The boards themselves? I suppose they could be allowed if sold as usb development boards & not bundled with any software (hex's or BM etc). Clones on the other hand are advertised explicitly though as PS3 exploit boards.

A 3.41 untouched PS3 can have the mod used and if it's bought it's the new owners decision and problem if something happens like a online ban after updating, but a previously modded ps3 that while without any included tool is unable to run unsigned code could lead to problems if Sony end up being able to find it.

Mark the console as 3.41 and state it was previously successfully hacked and say that a device capable of running the exploit will be need to continue to run unsigned code, maybe add that online uses may lead to problems from previously running the hack.

It would be odd to buy a specially labelled hackable ps3 and for the buyer to not continue to run homebrew on it but be nice and explain the possible problem.

Varik wrote: »
    A 3.41 untouched PS3 can have the mod used and if it's bought it's the new owners decision and problem if something happens like a online ban after updating, but a previously modded ps3 that while without any included tool is unable to run unsigned code could lead to problems if Sony end up being able to find it.

Mark the console as 3.41 and state it was previously successfully hacked and say that a device capable of running the exploit will be need to continue to run unsigned code, maybe add that online uses may lead to problems from previously running the hack.

It would be odd to buy a specially labelled hackable ps3 and for the buyer to not continue to run homebrew on it but be nice and explain the possible problem.

Any PS3 on FW3.41 in the future will be sold as such, trust me. Have you ever wondered why 360's with dash 7371 or lower are more expensive than updated ones?

The point of this thread is if they will be allowed to be sold on Adverts, and as long as it's not bundled with exploit hardware & software, there's no reason why it should't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Any PS3 on FW3.41 in the future will be sold as such, trust me. Have you ever wondered why 360's with dash 7371 or lower are more expensive than updated ones?

And at an ever increasing premium, but right now you can get 3.41 in any shops, it the same when you look at psps with people checking serial codes for that v2/3 or whatever board in the psp 2000.
    Have you ever wondered why 360's with dash 7371 or lower are more expensive than updated ones?

I'm omniscient...so no.
    The point of this thread is if they will be allowed to be sold on Adverts, and as long as it's not bundled with exploit hardware & software, there's no reason why it should't be.

And there's no reason it shouldn't, not that your doing that but as with anything else mentioning that it was previously modified should be a requirement.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    And there's no reason it shouldn't, not that your doing that but as with anything else mentioning that it was previously modified should be a requirement.

I don't sell, I hoard :D I agree it should be a requirement, but thats a perfect world. It's unenforceable really as a rule though. Same goes for 360's, nothing stopping you selling one with flashed firmware & neglecting to mention it on Adverts. Common sense applies really, if the ad is using 3.41 as a selling point, I'm going to assume it's been exploited in the past. Otherwise, your open to being stung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

cool a mate of mine did the jailbreak for the ps3 with a i pod a usb lead and 1 stick of chewing gum wrapping paper just like mc guyver

Advertisement