Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone screen replacement in cork?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Well I dropped my iPhone 3GS on the kitchen tiles earlier & the screen is smashed. Does anyone know if I can get the screen replaced anywhere in cork as I stupidly didn't take out insurance on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Got a quote of 60 Euro from Apex a few weeks back.

Apex Satellite Services
    Unit 12 Tramore Road Commercial Park Cork
    021 4318355
    We unlock all mobiles
    We repair screens Charging problems Water damage
    We buy and sell mobile phones
    We also repair psp and nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Bumble32 wrote: »
    Got a quote of 60 Euro from Apex a few weeks back.

Apex Satellite Services
    Unit 12 Tramore Road Commercial Park Cork
    021 4318355
    We unlock all mobiles
    We repair screens Charging problems Water damage
    We buy and sell mobile phones
    We also repair psp and nintendo

That's great, thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Apple Store in Opera lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Shop opposite Smyths - Europhone 6, Maylor Street, Cork - Screen repair for the Iphone 3G costs €60 - My husband updated his Iphone 3G to an Iphone 4 and gave my son his 3G - couple of days later somehow my son broke the screen - will let you know things go with the repair - Kilsmum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

maglite wrote: »
    Apple Store in Opera lane?

They have VERY big windows in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They have VERY big windows in that shop.

Very PC of you RR :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

mariebeth wrote: »
    Well I dropped my iPhone 3GS on the kitchen tiles earlier & the screen is smashed. Does anyone know if I can get the screen replaced anywhere in cork as I stupidly didn't take out insurance on it.

Only just the glass sceen? Display hasn't been damaged? Replacing glass screen and/or display easy and cheap on 3G/3GS not like on 2G. For this reason AFAIK nobody want to do this job on 2G, as very expensive. A set of glass-touch sensor-display on ebay around 50eur (part+shipping cost). I know, as I fixed myself my 2G already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

the guy in maylor street would do your head in , non stop talk but he does seem to know what he is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

how did you get on? I've managed to scratch my iphone 4 so looking to get screen changed. Any idea of cost?

• Advertisement

tinner777 wrote: »
    how did you get on? I've managed to scratch my iphone 4 so looking to get screen changed. Any idea of cost?

On the first look same easy to replace glass screen like at iPhone3. Here you can find more how-to's: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPhone_4
    and glass prices on eBay around 30 quid from UK (postage incl.):http://cgi.ebay.ie/Touch-Glass-Screen-Digitizer-iPhone-4-4G-Tools-/140465305596?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item20b46277fc

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Hey all, sorry for the zombie bump of a dead thread, but I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend someone in the city who can repair an iPhone 4? I've done a few iPhone 3/ 3's in my time. The problem is tho, this phone is my mothers and she wants it fixed yesterday :rolleyes: Any recommendations appreciated..

Dercola wrote: »
    Hey all, sorry for the zombie bump of a dead thread, but I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend someone in the city who can repair an iPhone 4? I've done a few iPhone 3/ 3's in my time. The problem is tho, this phone is my mothers and she wants it fixed yesterday :rolleyes: Any recommendations appreciated..

No bother. Have you tried here? Mobile Phone Service First Floor 32 Grand Parade Cork Tel.0860304034. This guy selling parts on eBay as well (cheap and quick). I has been ordered parts, 'cos hate paying for couple of min parking more than postage cost :D. My ordered parts arrived next day.

iRepair in Ballincollig Shopping Centre. Liam there has done my phone, and a friends, and he does them while you wait in front of you, with genuine parts. Great service, and he's fully trained too, not just someone with a set of tiny screwdrivers and cheap chinese screens like a lot of places around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

i-electron on Cook St. They're pretty good inside there. Just off Oliver Plunkett St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

you can do it your self its going to cost 120 euros,

you can put the screen from 25 euros on ebay. and their is vidoes on youtube to show you how.

Hey all, thanks for the quick replies.

I have heard about that guy on the Grand Parade from a few people. He's meant to be cheap & cheerful, so I'll try and pop in tomorrow at some stage.

Cheers..
    Cork24 wrote: »
    you can do it your self its going to cost 120 euros,

you can put the screen from 25 euros on ebay. and their is vidoes on youtube to show you how.

I have done my own iPhone 3s plenty of times. But this time, the phone is my mothers, and you know what they're like. Not the slightest bit demanding.;) She doesn't want to wait a week or two for the part, so depending on price, I'll just get it done tomorrow.. A friend said he only charges €30 or something....

Thanks anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Owen wrote: »
    iRepair in Ballincollig Shopping Centre. Liam there has done my phone, and a friends, and he does them while you wait in front of you, with genuine parts. Great service, and he's fully trained too...

how is one fully trained in this area? Do they have a diploma from Apple University or iPhone Polytechnic hanging on their wall :rolleyes:

Well, before you go rolling your eyes, there is actually Apple approved training carried out at a company in the UK. Liam has his accreditation hanging on the wall in his unit. I'd a look at the company's website, and it wasn't cheap to do.

Also, there's no way in hell the posters above are buying genuine screens for 30 Euro for the iPhone 4/4s.

Going to agree with Owen here. 30 quid for a screen is rubbish. You pay for what you get and it's worth getting a decent replacement or you'll run into sensitivity issues and the screen itself will probably be a lot more fragile.

• Advertisement

Well, before you go rolling your eyes, there is actually Apple approved training carried out at a company in the UK. Liam has his accreditation hanging on the wall in his unit. I'd a look at the company's website, and it wasn't cheap to do.

Also, there's no way in hell the posters above are buying genuine screens for 30 Euro for the iPhone 4/4s.

LOL "Genuine" screens..

Ok, First the cover/Screen is a plastic that is made on the cheap in Where ? CHINA!

Second, the LED Screen are made in Korea by Sumsung so are their A4/A5 Chips. which are then sent to China.

theirs nothing genuine in any Computer/Phone device, you think a iphone is build different from a Andriod etc..

I sent my fair share looking at Mac book and iphones fixing them all.

and you think by paying out 60 euro or less on some dude fixing them are going to ring Apple and get the parts ? I dont think so he will do what every one else do get them shipped in from China

there is actually Apple approved training carried out at a company in the UK. Liam has his accreditation hanging on the wall in his unit. I'd a look at the company's website, and it wasn't cheap to do.

Mac/Pc are build the same way.

you their are a few Mac courses out their, on how to repair mac computers, Work on the Servers and Desktop Support on a mac,

IMac are build with the Screen build in, But to tell you the truth their build the same way a Laptop is build every thing in that Desktop has the same lay out of the macbook.

If you work within Apple they can offer you the training on their Courses.
    Doesnt get you much of a Work Path as what a CCNA or VCP would do.

LOL "Genuine" screens..

Well, here's a bit of evidence for you. Below is a photograph I took of a cheap replica screen, not an original screen that some cowboy outfit fitted to my iPhone before I had it replaced by a genuine one. The screen is the black bit on the right. You can see it's nearly twice the size of the glass rear panel, and also nearly twice the size of an original screen. This is the first way to spot a fake screen.

206915.JPG

The photo below shows the backlight bleed issue on cheap screens too. Take a look at the top right hand corner. With the brightness only 70% of the way up, you can see the edge of the backlight bleeding into the corners and distorting the colours and images. That's another result of a cheap replica screen.

206917.JPG

Lastly, the easiest way to tell a cheap screen is to touch it. They don't have the same oleophobic coating the original screen has, and as such feel much more abrasive under your fingers.

The argument Cork24 made that 'sure they're all made in China' is well and good, but different companies do indeed make different screens and different quality of screens. Clearly from the photos above, there are knock off shops around Cork who've watched tutorials on iFixit.com on how to fit screens, ordered up the cheapest they could find online - and the results speak for themselves above. I was stung with one.

There are a few places which stock genuine screens (And by genuine, I mean to the same specification as the original Retina display Apple provide) and you will pay a small premium over the shops using cloned screens, but to protect the resale value of your phone, and to retain the user experience, it's vital in my opinion to go for the best quality repair you can.

Or you could follow Cork24's advice and get any screen from any shop and end up being 80 euro out of pocket like me for a useless screen I had to replace a second time for my own peace of mind.

its the glass that would be cracked,

Which you can buy on ebay for half the price...

Same with Dell, the reason i buy dell is that the parts are so easy to get a hold of unlike Toshiba when my Toshiba Laptop wouldnt turn on a quick google i found that the Cooling System on Toshiba latops are not the best, it took me a month to find a place to order in the whole new Cooling System, it would take me a 1 hour to order in Dell parts..

Sony are not as bad, PS3 Lasers inside the BlueRay disk drive do break down and you can get them easy enough..

Xbox 360 are not as easy to fix as the PS3 are.

Apple iphone cost 150 to make selling at 500 i was reading that on the times before.

It does cost them that much to make, but it doesn't mean that you or I can buy the parts at the same prices Apple can. They make a few million handsets, you and I are buying 1 screen. There's a different scale of economy there ;)

It does cost them that much to make, but it doesn't mean that you or I can buy the parts at the same prices Apple can. They make a few million handsets, you and I are buying 1 screen. There's a different scale of economy there ;)

I know I may be going a little off topic here, but I read only last week that if Apple were to make the iPad (similar enough to an iPhone) in the United States, each unit would cost over $14k to make :eek: I presume that is also taking into account them buying the components from US based companies, but still. Its a pretty incredible difference.

Dercola wrote: »
    I know I may be going a little off topic here, but I read only last week that if Apple were to make the iPad (similar enough to an iPhone) in the United States, each unit would cost over $14k to make :eek: I presume that is also taking into account them buying the components from US based companies, but still. Its a pretty incredible difference.

Thats if they Design the Hand Set in US which they do and also build it and got the parts for it within the US,

At the moment, with the next Iphone to come out, i dont think they will be with Sumsung for their display or CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

LOL "Genuine" screens..

Ok, First the cover/Screen is a plastic that is made on the cheap in Where ? CHINA!

Second, the LED Screen are made in Korea by Sumsung so are their A4/A5 Chips. which are then sent to China.

theirs nothing genuine in any Computer/Phone device, you think a iphone is build different from a Andriod etc..

I sent my fair share looking at Mac book and iphones fixing them all.

and you think by paying out 60 euro or less on some dude fixing them are going to ring Apple and get the parts ? I dont think so he will do what every one else do get them shipped in from China

You know what he means and you know he's right. You can get OEM quality screens or generic Chinese ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

dorgasm wrote: »
    i-electron on Cook St. They're pretty good inside there. Just off Oliver Plunkett St.

Couldnt recommend against these guys enough. I nearly had to take them to the small claims court before they would fix a fault that they created.

The place is VERY badly run and i was consistently mislead as to whether they would repair what they broke. It took 3 months to get a simple fault fixed.

Do NOT go here.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Couldnt recommend against these guys enough. I nearly had to take them to the small claims court before they would fix a fault that they created.

The place is VERY badly run and i was consistently mislead as to whether they would repair what they broke. It took 3 months to get a simple fault fixed.

Do NOT go here.

Fair enough. What was the actual issue you had with them? I've only dealt with them a couple of times and while the staff were pretty unfriendly, they fixed my problems quick enough and price was reasonable.

Advertisement