Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shooting in nightclubs. what flash ?

• 01-10-2010 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

well guys ii got a job:D:D:D

taken pictures in differnt nightclubs , just of groups of people and some shows that are on etc .. now i have never done it before and i know that the standard flash wont be much use . what flash would someone suggest ?? not looking to spend much . 200 euro or so

also what settings would you use i know about f numbers and shutter but i mean the likes of focus and flash etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

have a look here, only costs €9 but so easy to understand.

http://lightenupandshoot.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=17

You'll need to tell us what brand of camera you shoot with (Canon/Nikon/Olympus, etc)

Borderfox wrote: »
    have a look here, only costs €9 but so easy to understand.

http://lightenupandshoot.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=17

V-Book? What's a V-Book? Something video related, I assume?

EDIT; Sorry, I should've just read the description. May purchase one (though I hate reading 'books' on a monitor). Is it text-heavy, can you say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

V-Book? What's a V-Book? Something video related, I assume?

EDIT; Sorry, I should've just read the description. May purchase one (though I hate reading 'books' on a monitor). Is it text-heavy, can you say?

About 7 hours of video, really easy to get through

Will buy it now then! Sounds quality, for a tenner! Cheers El Foxo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

MrcValets wrote: »

taken pictures in differnt nightclubs , just of groups of people and some shows that are on etc .. now i have never done it before and i know that the standard flash wont be much use . what flash would someone suggest ?? not looking to spend much . 200 euro or so

also what settings would you use i know about f numbers and shutter but i mean the likes of focus and flash etc

Sorry to sound snobbish, but you took on a job for something you have no experience in? It's almost like shooting yourself in the foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Yeah Ken but it's the old chestnut, I mean years ago when I was a young stud when I'd go to these fancy Pubs the bouncers would use the crappy excuse "regulars only" Well how do you become a regular if they don't let you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

One of these (they come for any camera variety) would do you just fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MrcValets

kensutz wrote: »
    Sorry to sound snobbish, but you took on a job for something you have no experience in? It's almost like shooting yourself in the foot.

i was waiting for a reply like this .. for a start im only learning about photography and 2nd i am delighted to get a job doing my hobbie . a company called clubsolutions saw my photos on my page and liked them and asked me to try it out . i told them i havnt done it before but they still want me to give it a go

@ eveyone else

thanks a thousand:D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

kensutz wrote: »

i was going to thank this... but its not quite right. i agree its foolish to take on a paid job with no experience, but the arguement AH had bout wellhow do you start?

Assistant, offer to do it for clubs that dont normally do it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Well I'd rather get out with groups of friends and try it at home without having the pressure on me from a paid job.

This is the part that concerned me and it's saying to me that he doesn't have a complete understanding of the camera and what effects what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

firstly - congrats on getting a job - hopefully you can earn some money from it.

secondly ..... you might not need a new flash, it all depends on the amount of light available and style of pics you want to take from inside a nightclub.

depending on the amount/type of lights available ...and the camera/lens setup you have you can do a decent job, if you are using the cameras inbuilt flash then you must take all pics horizontal or you will get a horrible cast shadow.

if its fairly dark shoot on shutter priority at 1/15 or 1/30sec - WITH FLASH ... this should allow you to illuminate the subject while also allowing ambient light in (again this also comes down to your camera and lens) ... you may need to change the ISO, Shutter speed or even the aperture.

depending on if you are comfortable and if you have confidence in your own ability then you could also try zooming while you are taking the pic...or twisting the camera horizontal to vertical...or a combination of both or reversal - twisting vertical to horizontal, zooming out to in...or in to out....either way...turn up assess what the correct exposure for the desired effect is and shoot.

DONT JUST TAKE PICS OF GIRLS - DO PICS OF GROUPS OF LADS TOO, COUPLES AND MIXED GROUPS - AND JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK SOMEONE IS NOT GOOD LOOKING DOESNT MEAN THEY SHOULDNT BE PHOTOGRAPHED - BE NICE TO EVERYONE, SMILE AND THANK THEM AFTERWARDS (it could get you a few free drinks) ...if you want ask some of them for an email address and offer to email/sell a copy of the pic to them....get some business cards made and pass them out to people....you might get a lot more work from this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

a company called clubsolutions saw my photos on my page and liked them and asked me to try it out . i told them i havnt done it before but they still want me to give it a go

What style and how did you shoot the photo's that the company liked? If you already have results that they liked then do them the same way.

The Company should have a brief for what they expect and let you know how the images will be used. Be guided by what they want as they are commissioning you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Best of luck to you. Here's a simplified explanation

As Ken says, you're taking on a big task - but more power to you. Just explain to your prospective employer your level of experience - and what to expect. Why not go on a dummy run beforehand?

Lastly, have a look at the Flickr nightclub Group and check the Exif data, camera, and lens type on the shots (where provided). It's invaluable information.

Great to see someone getting employed in this day and age.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Best of luck to you.

As Ken says, you're taking on a big task - but more power to you.

Agree its a big task but more power to you
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    Lastly, have a look at the Flickr nightclub Group and check the Exif data, camera, and lens type on the shots (where provided). It's invaluable information.

How do you check the Exif data?

Great to see someone getting employed in this day and age.:)[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

LeoB wrote: »

How do you check the Exif data?

In Flickr click on "actions" above photo to see exif info, sometimes the exif data has been removed but most times you can view it there.
    In Pix.ie go to "more properties" to see exif data

Advertisement