Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 temperature and fans

Options
  • 01-10-2010 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi im just wondering What other people xbox temperature runs at and has any one done the 12volt fan mod or changed there fans.

My temps are
    Cpu 58C
    Gpu 75C
    Edram 77.5C
    MB 40.5C

I think they look a little high and im thinking of picking up some whisper fans id like to get some feed back from any one that has upgraded there fans or done any other cooling Mods to there 360.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My GPU sits around 39/40c, while the CPU runs at about 35/40c. I patched the fan's to run around 60% (quite loud though), and I made some additional changes to the cooling system.

1) I split the exhaust shroud into two seperate channels, so the suction is equal for both processors.

2) I cut away the metal & plastic casing at the back of the console (around the fan exhaust area), so there's no resistance at all against the heat removal.

3) I put a 'lid' both heatsinks. This has the effect of pulling the air through the heatsinks & into the shroud (as opposed to air coming from any direction).

4) I put a small fan on the additional heat rad (Falcon)

5) I also have two small fans sitting on the CPU heatsink (No DVD drive in the console, internal 3.5" 1TB hdd gives a bit extra room for the fans. The wash from the fans also helps cool the adjoining areas.

All in all it runs very cool, but fairly loud. I put up with it though, as it's an ex RROD. Hasn't missed a beat since I got it, and it gets put through some heavy use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I find it really depends what mobo revision it is.. If I get temps like yours I pull it back apart and would focus mainly on the GPU, but do both while I'm at it.

I find getting the CPU/GPU to stay colder without overclocking the fans pretty crucial, otherwise it's like pissin' on a forest fire.. I've a couple differents varients of how severe of a fix it is, whether just changing thermal paste, removing x-clamps, going for the hybrid advanced method and so on.. I don't like seeing any of them touching 60's, the 70's are where I warn buyers to turn it off for a few minutes to let it cool.

I had one the other day that shot upto the 80's which worried me, but that was a RROD pretty bad before (fan stopped working-owner didn't know) and I finally got it to run in the 40's under heavy load.

Once it's stable enough I consider overclocking the fans, which I try not to do normally, especially if it's a Jtag (95% of mine are) because the DVD drive isn't always spinning, if it's even used (more noise off that than fans imo)!

But overall I just way prefer working on Jtags so I can see exactly how well my fixes work, such satisfaction in it! Otherwise it's all guess work..

For the RAM I recommend these. I noticed they kept it a bit cooler, but mostly taking longer to heat up + more surface area etc. One for each RAM chip, then 2 for southbridge or Hana chip. If youve the new GPU H/S ya need to trim a corner off for one of them.

Also, a fan blowing on the GPU extension on newer models is a great help!

I've noticed ones that have been repaired by MS aways have different thermal pads under the RAM, aswell as newer GPU H/S but the CPU is still scorching and still run into the 70's after they "fix" it, so I had to take a few back apart to "fix" their "fix" which just isn't right..

Advertisement