Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Enfields

Options
  • 01-10-2010 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Saw an Irish Enfield online for sale in the States. You can have a look here if you like http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192674292.

Was wondering if anyone has one, has seen one, or has any idea as to their value.

This one is still in the mummy wrap which I imagine is pretty hard to come across these days.

I had an Enfield once and actually thought that it was easier and more accurate than the German's Mauser.

The history is that 50,000 of these rifles were to go to Ireland. The shipment was canceled due to the "troubles." Thus, there were 50,000 brand spanking new Enfields that stayed in cosmoline. Indeed, some people use the term Irish Enfield as a way of saying a new Enfield.

So did any of these ever make their way to Ireland?

Any info, especially prices, would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

There's a little to read on them here in boards http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61726606
    They seem to making the same money as you seen that one in gunbroker going for unwrapped although I did read about a few going over a grand. They were to be got in the US for about $400 a few years ago. I suppose they could be regarded as a positive investment as their value will only go up. Question is how long would one have to wait. By then it will probably have sentimental value :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thanks for the link Kay_9.

Haven't seen too many Enfields in the field. Was wondering if anyone uses them for hunting.

In any case, I would not be willing to let the 700 go to get an Enfield. Just personal preference.

Love the accuracy in the Enfields and the peep sights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The man to ask on here is Harmoniums, he has both ex-issue #4 Mk II and unissued #4 Mk II.

I don't think $700USD is that far out of line for an unused SMLE, but it is a bit high. Comes down to just how much you want it.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

The man to ask on here is Harmoniums, he has both ex-issue #4 Mk II and unissued #4 Mk II.

I don't think $700USD is that far out of line for an unused SMLE, but it is a bit high. Comes down to just how much you want it.

NTM

Most Irish Contract No4s here in the states go for 400-600 bucks depending on condition
    If they are still in the wrap, 600+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=188-1955-No.4-Mk2-Enfield-Rifle-(Still-Wrapped)

Go to bottom of post ;)

"Trebor's No.4 Mk2 is a fine example of mid 50's Fazakerley plant Enfield rifle production. Often these unwrapped rifles are mistakenly referred to as "Irish Contract Rifles" (contract was for 50,000 rifles). Here's some feedback about these "Irish Contract Rifles" that I've archived from various boards over the years. .......... (Feedback by "Badger")

Posted By: kraut/Michigan
    Date: Wednesday, 3 April 2002, at 4:46 p.m.

The No4 Mk2 rifles commonly referred to as Irish contract rifles were made at Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley, near Liverpool, England. They were never delivered to Ireland due to political problems and remained in war reserve in England until being released on the milsurp market in the 90s. The serial number range for these Irish contract rifles is PF 309348 - PF 359347. Simply put, there is nothing 'Irish' about these rifles. They were made for Ireland but never got there.

Posted By: JB White NE / Illinois
    Date: Wed 7 Feb 2007 9:41 pm

If it's a blonde, beechwood stocked, No4 Mk2 and dated 1955 (UF 55 + serial number) it's from the British war reserve which was released as surplus in the early 90's. Mistakenly called "Irish Contract" since the IC was actually part of a much earlier run with a PF prefix. (Very, very few ever found their way to Ireland BTW)

They are common enough, but the debate still continues as to whether or not they should be fired. The majority of us have used ours since we feel a rifle is to be used. Fantastic shooters they are too! "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

So it seems that there was: (1) an Irish Contract for rifles that was fulfilled and (2) an Irish Contract that was not fulfilled.

In either case, it appears that in both instances, the prefix was PF. In the contract that went unfulfilled (the later), the serial numbers are in the 309348 - 359347 range.

Add this to the term "Irish Enfield" as being used as a synonym for "new" and things get even more confusing.

Thanks all

Advertisement