Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 N for my new computer

Options
  • 01-10-2010 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

In the building my computer thread, someone said you could use a Windows 7 32bit key to install the 64bit version as well. But I only have the 32bit version, downloaded from the Microsoft site.

Can I use the key to download the 64bit version as well? Or do I have to physically get a disk off someone?

The awkward thing is that I have a key for the N version. I tried it with a regular home premium and it didn't work.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Pretty sure N keys only work on the feature-limited N versions :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Yeah god. It was such a nightmare. I found a place that had Windows 7 fairly cheap, got a direct download from the Microsoft site and a key. I'm no MS fan I felt Windows 7 was a big step in the right direction at the time at least and thought it would be a quick easy to way to get it.

Only problem is the download went at between 5 and 20 k/sec and ALWAYS dropped after a couple of hours. Download managers did not work. I remember having the downloading going on my EEEPC overnight, just in case it doesn't drop on the EEEPC for some reason. Of course, it didn't. I even tried from other connections. Nightmare.

Eventually I had to "acquire" a Windows 7; I mean **** it I have the product key, and install it only to find the key for the version I got didn't work... I didn't get what was going on, until someone explained it to me. Basically I had like 30 days until activation and I couldn't use the key with my version.

What's more, I couldn't uninstall it. I had installed it over my existing Vista install - maybe not the greatest idea but I didn't have time or energy to back everything up, not to mention I'd gone through 2 formats on this laptop since it got sent back to acer twice, and they do that even to repair the screen.

It should have just reverted to Vista after the 30 days. I don't understand why it didn't keep a backup image/system restore, it should have done.

I don't understand what was wrong with Microsoft's server that time, but I feel punished for actually paying for something I know a lot of people didn't. There were a lot of things here that could have been planned better on everyone's behalf, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

in command prompt you can type slmgr -rearm to reactivate for another 30days, you can repeat this a total of 3 times to extend the original trial to 120 days. After that you need a license key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Cool to know, but wouldn't really have helped much with my problem as I didn't have a key for the non N version anyway.

Advertisement