Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with noisy fellow tenants

Options
  • 01-10-2010 4:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello, I am having a problem at the moment with regard to my living arrangement, and am wondering could someone give me advice?

I am a student in shared accommodation at the moment, with a one-year lease as of August 2010. However as of late I am becoming extremely frustrated with the students (age bracket 18-21) who are living here at the moment, as they are extremely thoughtless and inconsiderate. I am been woken up regularly at as late as 2-4 o’ clock in the morning on weekdays by (i) shouting in the hallways, (2) loud talking in the sitting room, (3) television on all night at times (I can hear it in particular as part of the sitting room is right below my bedroom.

The problem is that when I moved here, there was actually practically nobody here- and I am for want a better word regretting my move here, as I am becoming increasingly frustrated at the random loss of sleep on weekdays during all hours of the morning – and then either struggling to go back to sleep, or concentrating/ focusing while in college the next day.

My question is, under these circumstances is it possible to file a complaint to somebody and (i) move out and find other accommodation, and (ii) receive my deposit back?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

leave, give ur notice a month or so and **** that ****, u should get ur deposit back

dont know how half of them students even made it to that stage of education

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

leave, give ur notice a month or so and **** that ****, u should get ur deposit back

dont know how half of them students even made it to that stage of education

:rolleyes::rolleyes: ignore this waffle. Im assuming its an apartment block OP ? Have you

1) Spoken to the persons concerned to see if you can resolve it between yourselves ?
    2) If this has failed have you spoken to the management company about the noise which is most likely a breach of the block lease ?
    3) Spoke to their landlord & or made a formal complain to the Gardai about the noise ?

If not start with this and come back if your still having a problem. As for terminating your lease you cant do that unless you have a break clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

D3PO wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes: ignore this waffle. Im assuming its an apartment block OP ? Have you

1) Spoken to the persons concerned to see if you can resolve it between yourselves ?
    2) If this has failed have you spoken to the management company about the noise which is most likely a breach of the block lease ?
    3) Spoke to their landlord & or made a formal complain to the Gardai about the noise ?

If not start with this and come back if your still having a problem. As for terminating your lease you cant do that unless you have a break clause.
    You should be careful with the rolleyes smiley face.
    No point in using it to lambast somebody else, then fundamentally misunderstanding the OPs post in your reply.
    reread it, he or she is in shared accomodation with the loud people.

Fuzzy wrote: »
    You should be careful with the rolleyes smiley face.
    No point in using it to lambast somebody else, then fundamentally misunderstanding the OPs post in your reply.
    reread it, he or she is in shared accomodation with the loud people.

Your assuming that the OPs use of the term shared accomadation means a house share / apartment share. Reading the post my view is english isnt the OP's first language so it may well be being misconstrued by you and could well be the terminology of shared accomadation isnt what you understand it to be

I read it as what appears to be a property split into flats or an apartment block (not apt share)based on the comments re the hallway and that there was practically nobody here.

As for the second poster. What has the knowledge level of a student got to do with anything. If thats not waffle I dont know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Try call a 'house meeting' where you mention to these people that making excessive noise between certain hours, say midnight to 6am, is really bugging you and asking if they could keep the noise down.

It may also be worthwhile trying to set up a few house rules which everyone is happy with and will adhere to. Nothing excessive, just base it on common courtesy.

Oh, ear plugs wouldn't go astray in the short term, either! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rental Advice

Hi D3PO just to answer a question there- I’m in shared accommodation within a private house in a housing estate, not living on campus. I meant the hallways as simply the downstairs and upstairs hall and landing. Apologies for the confusion.

D3PO wrote:

This is actually the third time in less than 10 days, I asked could the television be turned down two nights before, that’s when there was only two people in the sitting room. Last night there were 5 of time talking loudly, with the television blaring in the background.

So yes I did talk to them two times before last night, and as of last night- a third time. I actually complained to them this time because the noise level was intolerable. As if this isn’t bad enough, (remember these people are 18-21), half of them burst out laughing while I was going upstairs.

So I’m actually living with people who not only make noise at all hours, in this case 2:00 – 5:30 (yes it actually went on longer than the time I posted my first post), but don’t show the slightest bit of consideration for other peoples situations, or the slightest hint of remorse.
    D3PO wrote:

I have not done this yet, but I am now intending on speaking to the accommodation advisor at my university to see what my rights are regarding tenancy and deposits.
    D3PO wrote:
    As for terminating your lease you cant do that unless you have a break clause.

Out of curiosity, how does one go about getting a break clause? Thanks.

convert wrote:
    Try call a 'house meeting' where you mention to these people that making excessive noise between certain hours, say midnight to 6am, is really bugging you and asking if they could keep the noise down.

It may also be worthwhile trying to set up a few house rules which everyone is happy with and will adhere to. Nothing excessive, just base it on common courtesy.

Hi Convert, to be brutally frank – unfortunately I cannot see that working given that this is the third time I’ve asked them to keep the volume down, this time to be derided for doing so.

I’m losing sleep, and it’s a laughing matter to these people if complaints are made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

Things will probably quieten down a bit further in to the term & in the meantime earplugs are your best bet, but I'd be more concerned that you don't really get on with your housemates - that can make life difficult for all. You could ask them if any of them have friends who want to sublet your room & you could look for accommodation elsewhere.

thanks for the update Rental.

Your clarifications really help in terms of the context and advise here.

Your actions that you are following are the right ones. If you have spoken to them and they are not interested in resolving the situaiton with you the next step is as you say speaking to the landlord and also their college accomadation advisor as its possible they got the rental places via the college.

In terms of getting a break clause this is something you would need to ask for when agreeing to rent. Check your lease and see what it says about notice prior to the fixed term.

I would suggest the landlord will be sympathetic to your prediciment but you never know. Worst case scenario ear plugs and fight fire with fire. Id teach the little upstarts a lesson, leave the radio on in your room at full blast when your going out to work. Lets see how a dose of their own medicene tastes for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

D3PO wrote: »
    Worst case scenario ear plugs and fight fire with fire. Id teach the little upstarts a lesson, leave the radio on in your room at full blast when your going out to work. Lets see how a dose of their own medicene tastes for them.

While I don't condone this type of behaviour, I must admit I have done it in the past, when I lived in a house share with the noisiest and most inconsiderate 35 year old, who'd hoover at 1am, arrive back off their face at 3.30 am and appeared not to know how to keep their voice down while attempting to shout over the blaring TV or radio, despite being asked on numerous occasions to be quiet when they came in after a night out.

One night was particularly bad, and at 7.30am those of us who had to be up for work weren't exactly quiet that morning, and one housemate just had to hoover at 8am.

It didn't have any impact on the housemate's behaviour and I moved out. Fortunately, though, I had a Part 4 tenancy so wasn't tied into a lease.

OP, try have a chat with your landlord and see what they say. As already mentioned above, it may quieten down once the novelty of being away from home dies down.

convert wrote: »
    While I don't condone this type of behaviour, I must admit I have done it in the past,.

im not saying do it stright off, but if hes locked into a lease and mediation with his housemates or landlord dont yield any results he needs to do something to rectify the issue.

Last resort and all that but jsut something to have in your amroury should all else fail :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You need to get out of there.

Your housemates are disrespectful and your personalities are not a good match.

Furthermore, they are the type to damage the house and you will lose your deposit along with them because there will be no way of proving who did what to what.

Speak to your landlord. Year long lease or not, you are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your room and this is not being provided. The landlord must allow you to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

1st year party gaff, I take it? If you're working, you're in the wrong type of house. This is the beginning. Soon, there'll be more house parties, stuff will get damaged destroyed, and you'll loose your deposit.

Are you in 1st year yourself, or another year, or are you even in college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

I have just moved out of a house where i had a similar situation, one you tell the landlord they should try and sort the problem , thankfully mine did, but once you give a months notivce you can have ur deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

It's crazy how so many ppl have little respect for others when it comes to noise control etc ..

Advertisement