Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mudguards - Do you use them or not?

• 01-10-2010 4:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

As you can tell by the title im very new to cycling, bought a bike during the summer and havent really had any need for mudguards as the roads have been fairly dry while i have been out.

I want to keep cycling through the winter. should i invest in a set of mudguards, or am I just wasting money? (I have a road bike) I wouldnt expect the narrow wheels to throw up much water?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

If you plan to cycle in the wet, then the answer is very simple. You do need mudguards. Skinny wheels throw up lots of water. You'll be soaked within a minute without mudguards.

Actually, If you cycle through the winter, you'll find it doesn't rain quite as frequently as people tend to think. The road surfaces, however, are often wet. Then mudguards can be particularly useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lots of people ride without them and just put up with a wet end. It's only water.

Race bikes often don't have clearance for full mudguards in which case you can use clip-ons - but watch the paintwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I converted my road bike into a commuter by fitting mudguards. Primarily to limit heat loss and requirement of extra rain trousers, secondly to be nice to my fellow n0ob training compatriots on beginner spins, and thirdly, by designating this bike as my commuter, that justifies buying a new bike to replace what was my racer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Lumen wrote: »
    It's only water.

Indeed. Getting a bit wet is not so much of a problem if you can change your clothes at your destination.

However, the stuff that's thrown up from the road is not just water. It's dirty road scum and makes an unpleasant mess of you and your clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Without muguards you, your clothes and your bike get coverted is black scum from the road. You also throw up a big spray over any cyclists behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I never bother with them. One more thing on the bike that could potentially start rattling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Chico_2002 wrote: »
    As you can tell by the title im very new to cycling, bought a bike during the summer and havent really had any need for mudguards as the roads have been fairly dry while i have been out.

I want to keep cycling through the winter. should i invest in a set of mudguards, or am I just wasting money? (I have a road bike) I wouldnt expect the narrow wheels to throw up much water?

These are excellent(if your bike doesn't have clearance for regular mudguards). A bit fiddley to put on, but once fitted, they don't rattle and really work. Also, because they are full mudguards, the rear one protects the rear brake caliper from the worst of the spray, which prevents the caliper from siezing up over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not on the racer (but i tend to ride on my own a lot)
    but always had them on the commuter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

not on the racer (but i tend to ride on my own a lot)
    but always had them on the commuter

Same here on all counts. I have started to go out with a training group the odd time though so I might invest in one of those seat post mounted yokes to be stuck on on wet mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

don't bother with my road bike but have race blades on my fixie which is used for commuting and has no mountings for mudguards. - as others have said rain comming down I can deal with but the s**t that is sprayed up can destroy you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some of those clip ones are way too far from the tyre. Pointless. It needs to be close to the tyre to catch the spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

No - as Lumen said, it's only a bit of water. We live on a damp miserable island in the Western Atlantic, get used to it:)

Second, they spoil the look of the bike.

Third, clip-ons (even good quality ones) can either scratch the frame or end up rattling

Fourth........
    BostonB wrote: »
    . You also throw up a big spray over any cyclists behind you.

........deters wheel sucking:)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

07Lapierre wrote: »
    These are excellent(if your bike doesn't have clearance for regular mudguards). A bit fiddley to put on, but once fitted, they don't rattle and really work. Also, because they are full mudguards, the rear one protects the rear brake caliper from the worst of the spray, which prevents the caliper from siezing up over time.

They're good but I had a nasty experience with them when the rear tyre picked up a bit of twine which jammed in the stays, shattering the mudguard and driving the jagged end into the tyre which was destroyed. I wasn't going fast at the time, I reckon it could only happen at slow speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

I always use them, so much more comfortable cycling when your back and ass are dry (combine them with a rain jacket and you can cycle in the rain for hours).

If I could only get a pair of overshoes that are actually waterproof for longer than an hour it would be great.

Mosiki wrote: »
    If I could only get a pair of overshoes that are actually waterproof for longer than an hour it would be great.

Going to invest in a pair of these, hate wet feet and I find any overshoes just keep light rain/splashes off and invariably get ripped/torn after a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I use raceblades when the roads are wet or threatening to be wet. Clip on in less in than a minute. I'm not overly concerned about paintwork and they don't rattle. It's primarily because getting your back or backpack soaked is a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

Going to invest in a pair of these, hate wet feet and I find any overshoes just keep light rain/splashes off and invariably get ripped/torn after a few months.

So I can put my LOOK cleats on there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Have a set of road racer mudguards that I'm about to fit on the bike.
    If they rub they'll be coming straight off though & I'll do without!

So I can put my LOOK cleats on there?

Available in SDP and SDP-SL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I always use them, so much more comfortable cycling when your back and ass are dry (combine them with a rain jacket and you can cycle in the rain for hours).

you need a pair of these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If the person behind you is annoyed by the spray, they can slow down or overtake, so it's not an issue.

I keep meaning to get one to avoid a wet arse, but keep forgetting to buy one till it's pissing down outside, by which time it's too late.

It don't rain as much here as people think though...

Advertisement