Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lars Ulrich Offering One Hour Drum Lesson for Charity

Options
  • 01-10-2010 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Wow! He's so generous! Offering a chance to learn how to play extremely poorly and get lazier as you progress. Maybe he teaches backwards. You start really well by coming up with some blast beats like the end of One..but by the end you can't manage that anymore.

I'd love it if whoever gets this is a trained jazz drummer and after an hour of playing dumb they pull off an awesome drum solo and say "that's how it's done!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

He can stick it up his arse

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Someone should go just to say "umm" every few minutes for no particular reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Wow! He's so generous! Offering a chance to learn how to play extremely poorly and get lazier as you progress. Maybe he teaches backwards. You start really well by coming up with some blast beats like the end of One..but by the end you can't manage that anymore.

I'd love it if whoever gets this is a trained jazz drummer and after an hour of playing dumb they pull off an awesome drum solo and say "that's how it's done!"

Maybe Lars Ulrich can play Jazz but avoids it because it would sound rediculous in a Metallica song. Sort of like most rock drummers.

Its quite funny, I know loads of people who love to constantly criticize Metallica (especially Ulrch) yet still love to listen to them and know how to play loads of their songs on guitar/drums/bass. Completely hypocritical. They like them but are ashamed to admit it for some strange reason. Even you opened a thread to criticize him and still managed to complement him for his drumming ability in One.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love a drum lesson with Lars, and he's doing it for charity - whats the problem. If you don't like Metallica, then fair enough, but no band can please everybody. At the end of the day, every Metal musician wakes up every day wishing they could have wrote/played on Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All; and thats something he has you or no other Metal drummer will ever have, and having played on those is justification for him giving a drumming lesson if he wants to, even if its only to show how to play the beats on those songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Im actually a fan of Lars drumming. There I said it dont kill me!! his best bits are defo on the AJFA album, i have a kit and I can actually To Live is to die quite well, its part of the reason why I bought it in the first place. however if he wants to do something real for charity bloody donate a couple of hundred thou to cancer research or something ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Im actually a fan of Lars drumming. There I said it dont kill me!! his best bits are defo on the AJFA album, i have a kit and I can actually To Live is to die quite well, its part of the reason why I bought it in the first place. however if he wants to do something real for charity bloody donate a couple of hundred thou to cancer research or something ffs

Its possible he does that too but doesn't make a big issue of it. I don't think she should be too critical of someone who is doing someone for charity. Although I accept its possible he's doing it for publicity, does he really need it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I bet ye'd all love a drum leson with Lars Ulrich all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I wonder what he could teach a seasoned drummer? but hey I'd do it, I'd say Lars is great for banterin with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I bet ye'd all love a drum leson with Lars Ulrich all the same

Only to punch him in the side of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

The man does something for charity and this is the reaction he gets. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I think somebody should offer Lars a one hour drum lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Kevski wrote: »
    The man does something for charity and this is the reaction he gets. Wow.

I think that reaction has something to do with his considerably uncharitable work taking Napster away from young kids

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I think that reaction has something to do with his considerably uncharitable work taking Napster away from young kids

In fairness, the whole napster debacle has been blown out of all proportion. Internet file sharing was a relatively new thing in the late 90's and early 00's and nowhere near as widely used as it is today. It was only natural for them to want to stamp it out. They seem to realised that it was a mistake and have tried to make amends so it's best to put these things behind us imo.

Anyway, that topic has been discussed to death for the last 10 years. I say fair play to the man for using his fame as a means to raise money for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Dam those musicans trying to get paid for the music they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's those young kids who are defrauding bands and stopping them earning their money. If someone was stealing from you would you not be p!ssed. Nowdays because of internet downloading, people in the music industry only make an 1/8 of what they should be making, it's pretty bad for new bands starting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

personally i think the man is an excellent drummer, and justice for all has some great technical drumming all over it, probably the pinnacle of his career, for people to say his crap is just plain stupid and quite bitter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Dam those musicans trying to get paid for the music they produce.

I understand your statement but I still maintain that the situation is not as black and white as it appears. It's unfair on the bands, of course, but the fans have to suffer too because of corporate price hikes and the price of gigs, equipment, rental, insurance, tours...all passed to the consumer

Look at Glastonbury, a situation in which fans have to apply to get festival tickets of any kind about 9/10 months before the gig without even knowing who the head-liner will be, and pay upfront....and then they might not even get approved for an opportunity to buy a ticket. that kind of stupidity is crazy - and this isn't even an isolated incident

I support something like what Earache is doing, new releases for a low price
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    It's those young kids who are defrauding bands and stopping them earning their money.

Right, first and foremost, I do agree the Industry is a harder place to make that jump and that first leap into....but defrauding is such a strong word, because the way I see it, with the price of concert tickets - if you consider spending money to see three bands every month for a year...that's 36 gigs a year....that is a lot of money, and sometimes it's a choice between the CD and the gig...

and if you want to get into new music, or a bands new album, then surely internet downloading helps bands at least gain fans in regions they wouldn't have taught possible if it wasn't for the "service" and I pay as much as I can to go and see bands, so does that mean I can't listen to their music if it's not streamed, or not played on youtube, or not played on the radio...
    Kevski wrote: »
    In fairness, the whole napster debacle has been blown out of all proportion. Internet file sharing was a relatively new thing in the late 90's and early 00's and nowhere near as widely used as it is today.

Very true, but I was never a fan of him getting involved with it and publicly fighting them, it's the one situation in which I would have preferred a more corporate and legal representation...I don't think that this message being endorsed by the stars helped file sharing in the slightest...if anything it only encouraged people to do it more...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Riddle101 wrote: »
    It's those young kids who are defrauding bands and stopping them earning their money. If someone was stealing from you would you not be p!ssed. Nowdays because of internet downloading, people in the music industry only make an 1/8 of what they should be making, it's pretty bad for new bands starting out.

This is the thing,it's a catch 22 situation. On the one hand file sharing and loss of money doesn't greatly impact a band like Metallica as they're wealthy men now. On the other hand new bands need established acts like Metallica to highlight it as they're the ones who are losing income.

Metallica were burned badly by Napster. They stand by the principal of their stance but admit they could've gone about it in a better way,a not as 'in your face' way.

On topic,i'd love to win that auction. Not for the drumming lesson but for the tour of their HQ that's part of it and lunch with Lars.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Bands dont make much money from C.D. sales...well very rarely. The real money is in radio play, licensing and official merchandise. Basically things the record companies dont take a cut from.

However, I should mention that not buying c.d's does make it pretty dam hard for new acts coming through to get a record deal and therefore get there music out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Has Ulrich become the Metal Ringo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

lars' kick drum sounds like slapping a baby with a wet fish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

empirix wrote: »
    personally i think the man is an excellent drummer, and justice for all has some great technical drumming all over it, probably the pinnacle of his career, for people to say his crap is just plain stupid and quite bitter!!
    But bitter is part of the fun of being alive :(

And I don't think bitterness comes into all of it, some people just straight up do not like the man/band.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I would take the lesson, then at the very end I would turn to him and say "Yano, I have no interest in learning the drums....oh look, I have just wasted your time...just like you have wasted countless hours of good music making time over the years"...
    In your face Lars!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Would love the lesson. Also, to those who say Lars can't play Double Bass... (Or at least couldn't)

Degag wrote: »
    Would love the lesson. Also, to those who say Lars can't play Double Bass... (Or at least couldn't)

I would, everything lars did(although maybe revolutionary at the time) is nothing but the absolute double bass basics at the moment for any drummer worth their salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Lars and Dave Lombardo made the double bass famous in the 80s and took it to a new extreme, a lot of drummers today credit 'and justice for all as an inspiration and think that it marked a new metal sound. As someone said earlier it is really basic nowadays, but back then it was fresh and new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

if he wants to do something real for charity bloody donate a couple of hundred thou to cancer research or something ffs

I'm pretty sure a raffle/auction for a lesson off him will raise a hell of a lot more than a few hundred euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Degag wrote: »

That video is actually embarrassing for metallica. The soloing before the "double bass" sounds horribly out of tune.

Also the double bass is the simplest double bass ever. I was playing that within a week of getting my first double bass pedal.

mp3guy wrote: »
    That video is actually embarrassing for metallica. The soloing before the "double bass" sounds horribly out of tune.

Also the double bass is the simplest double bass ever. I was playing that within a week of getting my first double bass pedal.
    And have you heard him live recently? He cant even do the double kick part of one....Its not that complicated...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

listen from about 4.40 on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Yeah, he plays the part he "wrote" and "recorded" on a album.

The point is you actually have to find "proof" that he can play something he wrote and recorded; It's a given that he should be able to, the fact it comes into question so often is the problem.

Advertisement