Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lars Ulrich Offering One Hour Drum Lesson for Charity

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

baldshin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure a raffle/auction for a lesson off him will raise a hell of a lot more than a few hundred euro.

Except the guy said hundred thou, not just hundred..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I can't f**king believe that this thread has descended into a debate about his drumming (in)abilities, yet again!!??

Christ, some Metallica fans are almost as uptight as some Liverpool fans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6RBMnSN7Iw

Listen to the same timing here....

As for saying metallica fans are uptight. I just like the band to be able to play the music to a certain standard...you know after paying about 60 euro for a ticket, a train ticket to dublin, a hostel etc. Thankfully this no longer applies as im living in germany now, but is it really wrong to expect a band to be tight live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Patricide wrote: »
    As for saying metallica fans are uptight. I just like the band to be able to play the music to a certain standard...you know after paying about 60 euro for a ticket, a train ticket to dublin, a hostel etc. Thankfully this no longer applies as im living in germany now, but is it really wrong to expect a band to be tight live?

Well, you can't really expect a band to be tight for every single performance, there are bound to be mistakes, there are only human after all. But, it is another thing when they are consistantly sloppy or just plain lazy. Lars and Kirk seem to be guilty of the latter these days and this is what really annoys me. Just going through the motions in their playing.

Well, you can't really expect a band to be tight for every single performance, there are bound to be mistakes, there are only human after all. But, it is another thing when they are consistantly sloppy or just plain lazy. Lars and Kirk seem to be guilty of the latter these days and this is what really annoys me. Just going through the motions in their playing.
    I didnt say every single performance but its not just odd bad shows here and there with Lars and kirk. From a good few gig reports iv heard that lars in particular had really gone down hill in his fitness. I mean I can understand the odd bad gig but if you often ****ed up at your job, im sure your boss wouldnt be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I didnt say every single performance but its not just odd bad shows here and there with Lars and kirk. From a good few gig reports iv heard that lars in particular had really gone down hill in his fitness. I mean I can understand the odd bad gig but if you often ****ed up at your job, im sure your boss wouldnt be happy.

Ummmm, but Lars kinda is the boss!!

Thing is with Lars, his output at the beginning of gigs is generally better than towards the end of them. I personally think that he tires pretty easily (no surprise i guess since he's not far off 50) and this affects him a lot. Lars was a far better drummer 20 years ago than he is now, that's almost a fact. He was close to the level Lombardo was on back then. His work on Justice in particular was phenomenal for the time that it was.

My own personal opinion is that fame got to his head after the Black Album, he stopped practising which is well documented and he got lazy - which to be fair happened to the other members of the band also. I think he has genuinely tried his best in recent times but time has caught up to him. As i said he can still play to a pretty good level but playing a 2+ hour gig means that he leaves out double bass and other fillers because of fatigue.

That's all my opinion of course, i still love listening to Metallica, i never really listen to them thinking "I wish they had a better drummer" because to me Ulrich is a huge part of what Metallica is. I often see people say that "I can play drums as good as Lars" Maybe. Perhaps. But could you write music as good as he has over a period of almost 30 years. "No" would be the answer to that I think. And he probably was a better drummer than you'll ever be.

Degag wrote: »
    Ummmm, but Lars kinda is the boss!!

Thing is with Lars, his output at the beginning of gigs is generally better than towards the end of them. I personally think that he tires pretty easily (no surprise i guess since he's not far off 50) and this affects him a lot. Lars was a far better drummer 20 years ago than he is now, that's almost a fact. He was close to the level Lombardo was on back then. His work on Justice in particular was phenomenal for the time that it was.

My own personal opinion is that fame got to his head after the Black Album, he stopped practising which is well documented and he got lazy - which to be fair happened to the other members of the band also. I think he has genuinely tried his best in recent times but time has caught up to him. As i said he can still play to a pretty good level but playing a 2+ hour gig means that he leaves out double bass and other fillers because of fatigue.

That's all my opinion of course, i still love listening to Metallica, i never really listen to them thinking "I wish they had a better drummer" because to me Ulrich is a huge part of what Metallica is. I often see people say that "I can play drums as good as Lars" Maybe. Perhaps. But could you write music as good as he has over a period of almost 30 years. "No" would be the answer to that I think. And he probably was a better drummer than you'll ever be.
    He was lazy before the black album. Did you know each drum track for that album is composed of 50 takes? I mean a lot of thats a production thing to get the drums to sound as awesome as they do but still a lot of that is also down to lars' playing.

As for him being the boss, at the end of the day were his boss as were the people he plays shows for. However I cant see people ever not showing up for a metallica gig no matter what would happen so I see your point there.

As for the whole he helped write great music thing, I agree 100%. If I could pick any drummer from any time period to be in metallica from the start I wouldn't do it. Hes a big part of metallica's sound and I was never saying anything to the contrary. Without him there would be no metallica. PERIOD.

My arguing is that just think that from a technical standpoint in the modern day, he is a terrible drummer. This isnt just my opinion, its fact. Hell lars even says it himself! In the last interview with him I read the interviewer asked him if he was learning or practicing any techniques he answered somthing along the lines of "is there any number less than 0" and some more stuff to that affect.

Does this make him a bad overall drummer for Metallica? As long as he can still play properly live, then no. As for the excuse of his age, its quite frankly no excuse. Look at neil pearth, dave lombardo, and rakes of others around his age and older who can still play live the whole tour long.

TL;DR - Lars Ulrich, the guy was one of the pioneers of thrash metal drumming and was great in the 80ies. Now hes terrible technically and too lazy to stay in shape IMO.

And as an added bonus heres a funny video(just dont take it to seriously there are a lot of unfair comparisons I know): http://www.megavideo.com/?v=AQ2ST27L

O yeah its about 3 mins long only by the way, the only place I could find it was megavideo for some reason.

He was lazy before the black album. Did you know each drum track for that album is composed of 50 takes? I mean a lot of thats a production thing to get the drums to sound as awesome as they do but still a lot of that is also down to lars' playing.

Has that ever been confirmed? I've heard it a few times but only as a rumour. Also where do you get the figure of 50? In any case, even if it is true, it's not like other musicians don't do it aswell - not to that extent i suppose. That doesn't really make him lazy either... almost the opposite, like a perfectionist?:confused:

Also, his performances before and even after the Black Album were good - look at some of the "Live Sh1t" videos.
    As for him being the boss, at the end of the day were his boss as were the people he plays shows for. However I cant see people ever not showing up for a metallica gig no matter what would happen so I see your point there.
    That's just a silly argument. As for you saying he's a terrible drummer - well he's not. He's not a very good Metal Drummer any more - a distinct difference, but a difference none the same. Also most fans don't give a sh1te whether he's good or bad, we just love the band!

I never said that people should give a ****, I dont give a **** personally, I LOVE METALLIA up as far as reload. It just irritates me when metallica fan boys defend the bands technical ability to the point where it goes beyond reason.

As for the 50 takes thing, yup the head engineer on the black album sessions randy staub said it on the classic albums series. It could either mean hes a perfectionist, or doesn't/didnt have the ability/fitness level to play it in the studio.

As for you saying hes still a good drummer overall. I dunno, I know a lot who could outplay him when they were 15/16.

Back in the day he was breaking new ground. Now hes struggling to play what he recorded, hes not improving himself as a player and by todays standards hes extremely sub par. Does it make me hate the music, NO! But like I said, I hear so many people saying stuff like lars is an unreal drummer, Kirk is one of the best guitarists in the world etc. that it just gets under my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I never said that people should give a ****, I dont give a **** personally, I LOVE METALLIA up as far as reload. It just irritates me when metallica fan boys defend the bands technical ability to the point where it goes beyond reason.

As for the 50 takes thing, yup the head engineer on the black album sessions randy staub said it on the classic albums series. It could either mean hes a perfectionist, or doesn't/didnt have the ability/fitness level to play it in the studio.

As for you saying hes still a good drummer overall. I dunno, I know a lot who could outplay him when they were 15/16.

Back in the day he was breaking new ground. Now hes struggling to play what he recorded, hes not improving himself as a player and by todays standards hes extremely sub par. Does it make me hate the music, NO! But like I said, I hear so many people saying stuff like lars is an unreal drummer, Kirk is one of the best guitarists in the world etc. that it just gets under my skin.

People think he's the best guitarist in the world? I like him but I wouldn't rate him that high to be honest

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    People think he's the best guitarist in the world? I like him but I wouldn't rate him that high to be honest
    Exactly, but look on any polls and hes always up there. James wrote the best music, is a better and more original player but never gets the same amount of credit!

But most people on here agree that he's not very good anymore, myself included as you can see. He is still a competent drummer though and if he was playing for more of a rock band than a metal band, this argument wouldn't pop up as much if not at all.

Anyhow, as i said most people agree on this point. It gets annoying when it's argued to death so much. Some people just can't distinguish between "Was a good drummer" and "Is a good drummer" !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think he's quite a good drummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Winning bid was $35,000!!

Wonder if winner will be a complete and utter looper like the nut job who bid and won the competition to spend 2 days at The Osbournes House. She'd taken all sorts of loans out etc, Complete nutter

scudzilla wrote: »
    Winning bid was $35,000!!

Wonder if winner will be a complete and utter looper like the nut job who bid and won the competition to spend 2 days at The Osbournes House. She'd taken all sorts of loans out etc, Complete nutter

Loans that Irish tax payers are probably now paying for.

Still can't believe it's only an hour...is that even practical for a drum lesson?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Loans that Irish tax payers are probably now paying for.

Still can't believe it's only an hour...is that even practical for a drum lesson?

No, Irish TaX Payer has no right on that one, American comp, American Winner

As for the drum lesson, that's just part of it, it's a full day thing, hang out at Metallica HQ, go for lunch wit Lars etc.

If i went into Metallica HQ i'd go in wit 2 empty bags and tehy'd be comin out pretty full, i'd be swipin everythin :D:D

scudzilla wrote: »
    No, Irish TaX Payer has no right on that one, American comp, American Winner
    Ah yeah, was just chuckling to myself thinking that Anglo could be involved in some roundabout way.

But a day in Metallica HQ would be pretty cool, even if it was to hang out with him.

Advertisement