Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom Upgrade

• 01-10-2010 7:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭

Noticed that Smart's basic package has jumped to 10Mb from 5Mb previously, not sure when it happened as only noticed it on their web page last night. Just wondering if any existing customers have gotten the upgrade automatically or if you had to contact them to request it given the cost hasn't changed as it's still €39.95/month.

Was half thinking of moving to UPC recently but this speed bump (assuming I get it) means I'll probably stay put as have never had any issues with Smart.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭opus

To answer my own question as I've just got off the phone with them. No problem upping the speed I was told & it will take ~48 hours so should be in operation by the end of the w/end.

Was surprised I was only waiting < 30 seconds on the Smart support line before getting to speak to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Fri morning is a good time to call :) Just got off the phone with them myself, wont get 10mb down but that 640k up is worth the phonecall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Took 3 minutes and now have 10mb BB after the DSLAM updates tonight. :) Thanks OP

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi Guys

I just want to inform you that this new upgrade is part of our ongoing commitment to improving our broadband solutions to our customer.

Smart Telecom is now part of the Digiweb group and as such I just wanted to let you know that these free upgrades are available free to all existing customers. To avail of the upgrade simply phone 1850 945 549.

Thanks
    Marion

Digiweb wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I just want to inform you that this new upgrade is part of our ongoing commitment to improving our broadband solutions to our customer.

Smart Telecom is now part of the Digiweb group and as such I just wanted to let you know that these free upgrades are available free to all existing customers. To avail of the upgrade simply phone 1850 945 549.

Thanks
    Marion

If you have free mins that don't count for 18XX numbers then just call this number for Smart:

1890 945 300 – Call 01 4699300

Got this on that very handy site SayNoTo1890.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Those of us on original Smart contracts won't have our contracts altered in anyway by availing of this 'free' upgrade ?

Checked this morning and happy to see the change went through overnight :)

975073821.png

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

Does this mean I could get the upgrade for free as well? I'm on the 7mb Smart Living Plus package;) Anyone else out there with the same bill plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

opus wrote: »
    If you have free mins that don't count for 18XX numbers then just call this number for Smart:

1890 945 300 – Call 01 4699300

Got this on that very handy site SayNoTo1890.com.

That might be a good tip for phoning the Smart 1890 support number. Although the number given for the free upgrades is an 1850 number 1850 945 549, so it's just the price of a local call, about 10c.

Oracle wrote: »
    That might be a good tip for phoning the Smart 1890 support number. Although the number given for the free upgrades is an 1850 number 1850 945 549, so it's just the price of a local call, about 10c.

Don't think any of those 18XX numbers are covered by the free mins on my mobile price plan (could be wrong here) so using an ordinary number is always better for me.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys

Thanks
    Marion

Wrong! I've just been told I must pay an extra €7 for the new 10mb package. :(

d22ontour wrote: »
    Those of us on original Smart contracts won't have our contracts altered in anyway by availing of this 'free' upgrade ?

Hi Smart has been part of the Digiweb group since the end of last year. There will be no changes to your exisiting contract if you wish to avail of the upgrade. The only difference will be the increase in downlaod speeds.

This free upgrade applies to our 5MB and 12MB product. Those that were on 5MB will now avail of 10MB and those on 12MB will now avail of 24MB free of charge.

Marion

Wrong! I've just been told I must pay an extra €7 for the new 10mb package. :(

Hi Oracle, what broadband package are you currently on? If you want PM me with your account number and phone number and I will get someone to give you a call.

Thanks
    Marion

Hi Marion, thanks for the reply. I'm on the 2mb package, although that shouldn't matter, on Friday, you said the free upgrades are available free to all existing customers.

P.S. I've sent you a PM with my Smart account number and phone number.

Hi Marion, thanks for the reply. I'm on the 2mb package, although that shouldn't matter, on Friday, you said the free upgrades are available free to all existing customers.

Hi Oracle,

Apologies, I should have made it a little clearer, the upgrades applied to our 5MB and 12MB broadband packages. You can change over to the 10MB package which is now charged at the same price as the old 5MB package. Apologies again.

Marion

Thanks for the clarification. So the situation is that those Smart customers on 2mb get nothing, while those customers currently on 5mb or above get free upgrades, to double their speed. Thats unfair and very disappointing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

Well, it looks like I'm not among those lucky ones who can get the upgrade, whatsoever. The reason is simple: it's not available in my area:(
    I got this confirmed independently by email from Smart support/customer care as well by phone from the same source. Period. Well, Smart Telecom, a huge disappointment, really.
    That's life, though. Not the end of the world:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There's an inconsistency on the smarttelecom.ie site in that residential customers pay €60 for 24mb but business customers pay only €24 and no indications why. The business terms and conditions shows a residential customer pdf.

Hi Oracle please see your inbox, hopefully this is all ok for you now.
    Thanks
    Marion

versager wrote: »
    Well, it looks like I'm not among those lucky ones who can get the upgrade, whatsoever. The reason is simple: it's not available in my area:(
    I got this confirmed independently by email from Smart support/customer care as well by phone from the same source. Period. Well, Smart Telecom, a huge disappointment, really.
    That's life, though. Not the end of the world:pac:

Versager is it because you are not in the Smart Telecom exchange? Is there anything else we can help you with, a different product perhaps?
    Thanks
    Marion

• Advertisement

Hi Oracle please see your inbox, hopefully this is all ok for you now.
    Thanks
    Marion

Yes, thanks for the upgrade Marion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Called at 5:27pm and got the message that their sales & accounts were opened til 5.30pm! Damn, will try and check tomorrow. Just checked my account and I am with Smart since the beginning and I am on Smart BB - 4Mb/256kb so will I be able to upgrade to 10Mb? It is a big jump but according to their website, I am paying the same anyway!

robo wrote: »
    Called at 5:27pm and got the message that their sales & accounts were opened til 5.30pm! Damn, will try and check tomorrow. Just checked my account and I am with Smart since the beginning and I am on Smart BB - 4Mb/256kb so will I be able to upgrade to 10Mb? It is a big jump but according to their website, I am paying the same anyway!

Hi Robo the following line should be free if you want to give a call, 1850 945 549. It is open until 7pm.

Thanks
    Marion

Hi Robo the following line should be free if you want to give a call, 1850 945 549. It is open until 7pm.

Thanks
    Marion
    Thanks Marion, just saw your reply now but I wanted to call the 01 number from my mobile...have minutes to use before losing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

Hi Digiweb,

i wonder if i can upgrade also.. I'm on the 5MB package?

most nights my broadband drops to about 2.5MB (when i check it with speed test) and streaming video is very slow. i was wondering i you could take a look for me? I'll pm you my acc #

thanks,

I rang this mornibng and was told that my line couldn't take 10Mb, there would be outage (which I never suffer from at the moment), but I was told that there will be a redused rate for the current package that I am on at that end of October (5Mb I was told, but bill says 4Mb). Why is it that my line (Dublin 8) can't take 10Mb?
    Just had a look at the Digiweb site and I seem to be paying over the odds for the broadband speeds that I am actually getting - http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/dsl/
    Marion (Digiweb) - any suggestions to what I should do? Makes no sense to be paying the same price as 10Mb customers and only getting about 3-4Mb realistically!

robo wrote: »
    I rang this mornibng and was told that my line couldn't take 10Mb, there would be outage (which I never suffer from at the moment), but I was told that there will be a redused rate for the current package that I am on at that end of October (5Mb I was told, but bill says 4Mb). Why is it that my line (Dublin 8) can't take 10Mb?
    Just had a look at the Digiweb site and I seem to be paying over the odds for the broadband speeds that I am actually getting - http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/dsl/
    Marion (Digiweb) - any suggestions to what I should do? Makes no sense to be paying the same price as 10Mb customers and only getting about 3-4Mb realistically!

Hi Robo

Broadband is a distance dependent technology therefore the further you are away from the exchange the less speed your line will be able to take

Examples:
    Within 1km – up to 24Mb
    2km – approx 19.5Mb
    3km – approx 13Mb
    4km – approx 8Mb
    5km – approx 2Mb
    Over 5.8km – too far

The other factor to take in to consideration is the quality of the copper line between the house and the exchange therefore the above speeds are not guaranteed i.e you could be 3km from the exchange with a poor quality line and be only able to get 5Mb etc.

This is dependent on the infrastructure in your area and not the package you purchase from a provider. We are indeed reviewing all our packages at present so I would hold off until the new 5MB package is introduced. Did the sales advisor tell you how much your line can take?

Thanks
    Marion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

since last night, i have been having really really godawful speeds. im on the 3mb line (they cant go higher in the parkwest buildings).

in parkwest, dublin 12

983921935.png

is something going on with smart at the minute?

on smarttelecom.ie speedchecker:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 108 kbps (13.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 111 kbps (13.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 17 ms
    Sat Oct 9 14:17:35 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vikinghar

Hi Guys

Thanks
    Marion

Hi Digiweb, I'm a Smart Telecom customer from Letterkenny. Yep, Letterkenny, where the "outage" has lasted a whole week now. I survived the 3 week stoppage of service during Smart's last little difficulties and this has made me re-think Smart's usefulness. Up-grade my ass, I'd rather get a reliable basic service. I'm on a friends computer at the min, because I have to get stuff done on-line. Which today consists of looking for another ISP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

you wont get speeds over 7mb anyways unless your on a ADSL 2+ exchange alot of exchanges in ireland like my own are only ASDL1 so can get a max of 7mb from exchange and whatever the lines can take then

Advertisement