Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting a stairmaster

• 01-10-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I want to install a stair master and get some of the attic floored. Who does this in general - a carpenter? Are there particular people who install stair masters? Do they tend to do the attic flooring too or would that be somebody else? I only want a small area floored - maybe 8x4ft.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

yes a carpenter would be most suited for this job. if there is a manhole already where u want the attic stairs it is only a matter of cutting the joists for the new opening and fitting trimmers on the joist ends(9x2 or 6x2 etc) ,cutting the old plasterboard back,fit the attic stairs. trim the stair ends for da floor,fit new arcitrave if required or plaster around the edges. u can buy cheap t+g flooring pannels or just buy a 8x4 sheet of 18mm ply, OSB or mdf and rip in half and nail or screw down where required. its a very simple job about half a days work for one man( or woman) few hours for two. baisc tools are all that is required. remember this when agreeing on a price for labour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

is you had the time. you could totally tackle this yourself if you were anyway confident with using basic tools.

i would agree that a carpenter would be the best person for this job. but i am sure there is extremely competant handymen (or women ) that could do this. its a very straight forward job.

if you wanted to do it i am sure we could all chip in with advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

get a carpenter
    try and get a stairs that will fit between the joists
    a 550mm(wide) one should do

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Make sure the joists are running the right way & there's enough clearance for the stairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

just check also there is enough room for when the stairs folds down. it might fit on the floor but you need to count an extra bit of space for the swing on the stairs/

• Advertisement
Advertisement