Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linking Linksys WAG160N, Netgear DG834N and Apple Airport Express

Options
  • 01-10-2010 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a linksys WAG 160N which is my DSL router. My laptop normally connects to this router wirelessly. I'm trying to connect it wirelessly to the Apple Airport Express but given the distance away I feel I may have to use an old router I have which is the Netgear DG834N rangemax as a repeater. Ican't move the airport Express close as I want to use it to stream music wirelessly to my Hi-fi.

Can someone pelase provide me with a step-by-step guide as what I need to do. Also, to create a wireless repeater does one part of the connection need to be connected to my DSL router via ethernet or can this all be done wirelessly?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If connecting the routers via Ethernet is possible then do it as it's much simpler, faster and less hassle all around. Trying to use wireless routers as repeaters can be a real mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

bhickey wrote: »
    If connecting the routers via Ethernet is possible then do it as it's much simpler, faster and less hassle all around. Trying to use wireless routers as repeaters can be a real mess.

not really possible given the location of them. If was using ethernet they would be close together and not sufficient to give the range I need. I basically want the DSL in one room and the airport express in another with a reapeat that might pick up the wireless signal better than the airport does and bounce it to the Airport Express.

not really possible given the location of them. If was using ethernet they would be close together and not sufficient to give the range I need. I basically want the DSL in one room and the airport express in another with a reapeat that might pick up the wireless signal better than the airport does and bounce it to the Airport Express.

Well unfortunately the make/models of routers that you have don't work with custom firmwares like DD-WRT so that option is out. However the Airport Express can be operated in client mode so if you can connect the Airport Express to your hi-fi via ethernet, the Airport Express might be able to pick up the wireless from one of the other routers. Router <-> Router wireless can sometimes work over impressive ranges compared to Router <-> Computer.

bhickey wrote: »
    Well unfortunately the make/models of routers that you have don't work with custom firmwares like DD-WRT so that option is out. However the Airport Express can be operated in client mode so if you can connect the Airport Express to your hi-fi via ethernet, the Airport Express might be able to pick up the wireless from one of the other routers. Router <-> Router wireless can sometimes work over impressive ranges compared to Router <-> Computer.

How would I set that up do you know? Settings wise in the routers?

Thanks

Google 'airport express client mode setup' and look at the first couple of results.

• Advertisement

I think I'll buy the Netgear WN2000 rpt range extender as I also want to extend the range of the wi fi around the house.

Does anyone have any experience of the above mentioned range extender?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried setting the airport express up so as to join your existing wireless network? It should then appear in itunes as an option to play music.

The link below might be of interest to you too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

dub45 wrote: »

I've always been wary of joining different make/models of routers in a WDS setup but if it works then yes it is certainly a good way to extend a wireless network.

I'm having serious connection issues with the Airport Express staying connected to my WAG160N.

If I bought the Airport Extreme and connected it's WAN port to one of the ethernet ports on the WAG160N and then wirelessly connected the Airport Express to the Extreme and my laptop to the Extreme would that work?

Is it simple to conenct the WAG160N to the Airport Extreme by bridging is the WAG160N capable of being functional this way?

Advertisement