Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earliest Snow?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭

OK, Our earliest snow here that I can remember was 21st October 2003. Thunder snow event with lying snow here in Roundwood for a few hours.

This date is just outside FI but getting closer!!

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I'll never forget that thunderstorm in Dublin.
    It seemed to go on for days. And the wicklow mountains had some serious snow in them.
    It seemed like an amazing amount of snow (maybe 1.5feet), but im sure we've had alot more snow in the last 2 winters than then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, I remember that. I had a motorbike driving test that day. I drove out of my house and slipped on my arse at the first corner.

Bad Omen, I failed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Speaking of the earliest snow, I'm picking the third of December as the day we will have our first snowfall of the 2010/11 winter somewhere in Ireland. Any takers for a repeat of October 2003?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Speaking of the earliest snow, I'm picking the third of December as the day we will have our first snowfall of the 2010/11 winter somewhere in Ireland. Any takers for a repeat of October 2003?
    Including mountains???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd go a bit earlier for the mountains Nacho?

October 2003 was nuts!

There was also snow in October 2008. I was doing a job in Enniskerry (Co. Wicklow), just on the outskirts of the town, and there was a heavy snow shower mid-afternoon (around the 30th I think) that settled for half an hour or so on most surfaces (except roads) before melting. I drove back home over the Dublin/Wicklow mountains and they had a complete cover of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'd go a bit earlier for the mountains Nacho?

October 2003 was nuts!

There was also snow in October 2008. I was doing a job in Enniskerry (Co. Wicklow), just on the outskirts of the town, and there was a heavy snow shower mid-afternoon (around the 30th I think) that settled for half an hour or so on most surfaces (except roads) before melting. I drove back home over the Dublin/Wicklow mountains and they had a complete cover of snow.

Yep, we had lying snow from that for a few hours. October 30th I think. There's a big thread on boards about it somewhere. Unusual to get snow here before Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

aaaahhhh . . .snow . . .. . what this weather forum depends on . . . its like one long year is just a build up too the ( disappointing most likely) winter . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Su Campu wrote: »
    Including mountains???

nah. i was excluding mountain tops. sorry i should have made that clear in my previous post:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

arctictree wrote: »
    OK, Our earliest snow here that I can remember was 21st October 2003. Thunder snow event with lying snow here in Roundwood for a few hours.

This date is just outside FI but getting closer!!

A

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/33065-x-treme-irish-weather-october-2003/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Ooh, ooh, I call 15 November for snow! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

3 october for the first counteywide, crippling snow.

As with all good long range forecasts there is a 6 month margian of error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

For the first decent amount of snow, i would say round the 20th of January . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

my birthday 8th november that would be classs

Advertisement