Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Driving Permit??

Options
  • 01-10-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am in Ireland from the United States on a working holiday visa. I recently bought a car to drive myself around under the impression that my American driver's license is valid for my years stay. Do I have to have an international driving permit as well? On the Ireland/US website it doesn't say anything about it. It just says that the US license is valid for 1 year, while anything longer on a residence basis you have to apply for an Irish license. I don't really think I am a resident on a working holiday visa but do I still count as a tourist? Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

sophie4187 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am in Ireland from the United States on a working holiday visa. I recently bought a car to drive myself around under the impression that my American driver's license is valid for my years stay. Do I have to have an international driving permit as well? On the Ireland/US website it doesn't say anything about it. It just says that the US license is valid for 1 year, while anything longer on a residence basis you have to apply for an Irish license. I don't really think I am a resident on a working holiday visa but do I still count as a tourist? Any help would be great!

I had a big long explanation written to say you would have to get an Irish Licence, then i found this
    "If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example, if you are from Canada, the United States or New Zealand), and you hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months)."

So seems you are OK

Advertisement