Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is anyone surprised?

• 01-10-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

I came to cycling late in life a couple of years ago (at 47!). Since then I’ve done a lot of mountain-biking and more recently some road biking. With the “zeal of the late convert” I’ve become a veracious reader of cycling history and biographies.
    One theme that is common throughout all of these books is the fact that, since the very early days of professional cycling, “doping” has been a common and accepted practice. The riders have (nearly) always covered for each other and the UCI have turned a blind eye where possible and have been sluggish in the extreme when eventually forced to do something. Over the years most of the great riders have tested positive at some stage. In my opinion (just an opinion!) there has probably never been a completely “clean” Grand Tour Winner!
    So how can anyone really be surprised at the revelations of the last couple of days?
    As an aside I’m always amazed at the vitriolic abuse thrown at Lance Armstrong from many quarters – while I agree that he appears, like many elite sportspeople, to be a pretty unpleasant character, it seems to me that at worst he is no more guilty than all of his peers but unlike them he has never been caught!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

we're not

and with contadors team history i'm really suprised its taken this long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RPL1 wrote: »
    As an aside I’m always amazed at the vitriolic abuse thrown at Lance Armstrong from many quarters – while I agree that he appears, like many elite sportspeople, to be a pretty unpleasant character, it seems to me that at worst he is no more guilty than all of his peers but unlike them he has never been caught!

There's much more to it than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Did any of his peers ever do this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJHCGx_GZkA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm not sure anyone is surprised that yet another leading rider has produced a suspect sample.

I'm a little bit shocked it's Alberto and that Clenbuterol is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Did any of his peers ever do this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJHCGx_GZkA

To my shame my French is hopeless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

To my shame my French is hopeless?
    Its commonly known as the 'Simeoni Incident'. Give it a google. He has come up with 2 conflicting reasons for his behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Its commonly known as the 'Simeoni Incident'. Give it a google. He has come up with 2 conflicting reasons for his behaviour.

I know a bit about it and I agree that it showed a very unpleasant side to Armstrong's character but no different to a number of other incidents over the years where the top riders have stamped their control over the Peleton and any riders who dared to challange their authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I've reached a comfortable enough place in my own mind regarding pro cycling

I believe doping is endimic (sp) in the sport and view all events with this in mind

Having said that I really enjoy the spectacle of the bigger grand tours and would always follow and enjoy them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm a little bit shocked it's Alberto and that Clenbuterol is involved.

@Jawgap
    Could you elaborate as to why you are a little bit shocked about the rider and the substance?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can we keep dicussions concerning Contador to the other thread. This one should cover general doping, and not specific riders.

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hermy wrote: »
    @Jawgap
    Could you elaborate as to why you are a little bit shocked about the rider and the substance?

sure,

I would've thought that if you are at an elite level in the sport you must know you're a magnet for testing, investigation etc. Knowing that, I would've thought you'd be not just careful, but ultra-careful about what you eat, how you train etc. Likewise, so would those around you.

In this case, I'm not sure if he's guilty of doing something (taking a banned substance) or not doing something (being careful about his training and nutrition regime) - I'll leave that discussion for the other thread.

As for Clenbuterol - that just seems so 80s or 90s - if you were going to take something surely there's "better" things to take in terms of effect and detection.

It's just a thought

Advertisement